BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
So why is that not bufferbloat? I thought this was bufferbloat?

My TalkTalk Hub certainly doesn't have any way to limit the upload, so I need to get a router that limits the upload and allows prioritising these ACK things? Is that right?
It is in its simplest form which is pretty much all but eradicated when you use QoS.

Get a decent router, one which supports QoS. But then you have the wireless to consider if you use the TT junk for your wireless too.

Soldato
So why is that not bufferbloat? I thought this was bufferbloat?

My TalkTalk Hub certainly doesn't have any way to limit the upload, so I need to get a router that limits the upload and allows prioritising these ACK things? Is that right?

The eero supplied by TalkTalk supports SQM you could try that to see if it sorts your issue. It's under Eero Labs > enable Optimise for conferencing and gaming.

I don't like the way you manage the settings needing an app/account etc so went back to my normal kit but the WiFi performance surprised me 800Mb/s + even in the next room.

Soldato
This is the Apple quality test with TalkTalk 900 over wifi (Can't find my usb-c ethernet dongle, will try wired when I find it)

Upload capacity: 83.582 Mbps
Download capacity: 608.381 Mbps
Upload flows: 12
Download flows: 12
Responsiveness: High (2560 RPM)
Base RTT: 11

That's without SQM enabled and running via the supplied eero.

This is with it enabled

Upload capacity: 89.915 Mbps
Download capacity: 606.871 Mbps
Upload flows: 20
Responsiveness: High (2823 RPM)
Base RTT: 11

Soldato
Found a random USB-A ethernet adaptor. connected via a USB-C dongle, seems to work OK

Upload capacity: 86.521 Mbps
Download capacity: 698.723 Mbps
Responsiveness: High (6075 RPM)

SQM on

Upload capacity: 93.766 Mbps
Download capacity: 608.708 Mbps
Download flows: 20
Responsiveness: High (5423 RPM)

SQM off

Mobster
Soldato
Found a random USB-A ethernet adaptor. connected via a USB-C dongle, seems to work OK

Upload capacity: 86.521 Mbps
Download capacity: 698.723 Mbps
Responsiveness: High (6075 RPM)

SQM on

Upload capacity: 93.766 Mbps
Download capacity: 608.708 Mbps
Download flows: 20
Responsiveness: High (5423 RPM)

SQM off

You see high even with SQM off, I see medium. I do not see why mine would be different, I am on TalkTalk too but only 500

Soldato
Everyone seems to be seeing better results than me even without SQM on TalkTalk :(
I'd try the supplied eero if you still have it that is what those results are with, I don't like how the management is cloud based so wouldn't use it long term but it's faster than my old Netgear D7000 when dealing with multiple connections so I'm in the process of setting up Utangle to replace the Netgear which considering it age does well to still hit the full 945Mb/s download just takes 30-40 seconds to get the multiple connections going to download servers when the eero does it in about 5. The Wifi through put on them also outperforms my Ubiquiti access points by a fair margin I'm not too fussed with that as anything that needs full speed is wired.

Soldato
What issue are you having? I’ve just come out of several Vodafone contracts and I wasn’t using the Vodafone router with any of them. The biggest challenge was getting the login credentials from Vodafone because they’ll tell you it’s your customer number or something so you key that in and then it doesn’t work so you need to add @vodafone.co.uk or @vodafonebusiness.co.uk or it won’t authenticate.

My typical setup was a Vigor 130 modem feeding a Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway or Mikrotik RB4011.

Well binning their router would probably solve my issues but I thought you had to use it. I did plug my Asus direct in but fell sown at user / pass as i've got no idea what they were.

Where would I find them?

Man of Honour
Well binning their router would probably solve my issues but I thought you had to use it. I did plug my Asus direct in but fell sown at user / pass as i've got no idea what they were.

Where would I find them?

There's a chat link here.

Soldato
I believe 911 is only for Gigafast/City Fibre and possibly only for Milton Keynes and 101 is for some exchanges (but not all) on VDSL.

Contact Vodafone support on chat and they’ll post up the details so you can cut and paste them in.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Anyone here had the free TalkTalk Full Fibre upgrade?

OpenReach spent 18 months installing Ultrafast in our town and now TalkTalk are moving us over to Full Fibre by basically just sending an OR engineer with very little heads-up. Not a bad thing, I understand why, but I'm anxious as a homeworker that it's going to be a shambles as these OR visits tend to be.

My main worry is that we're shacked up in a pretty awful terraced rental waiting on the housing market to chill it's knickers, and this house in particular has no power sockets on the back wall where they will be running the fibre from (on any floor). Running an extension is feasible but not ideal. I wired a 5m extension around the skirting from the current line (same location where the ONT will likely be installed) to where I could plug in the router and use powerline adapters properly.

What are the chances they will install in the middle of the room where the sockets are? Can it be bent 90 degrees?

We're currently on Fibre 65 and sync at 77512/20000 - I assume I should expect the same/similar with FTTP and I won't be getting any upgrade beyond what I pay currently. Tempted by 150, but penny pinching for the benefit of buying a decent house in the nearish future, will I really notice any benefit when it's mainly my work machine/PC and the TV using the connection at any one time?

Back
Top Bottom