BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
I thought that one was just the broadband package (inc line rental) at £90 cashback (+ £125 prepaid credit card thingy)

I've went with it yesterday so we'll see. I guess they will track whatever was relevant.

Associate
I've just moved into my new house in Woodford Green London got connected to Infinity 2 and only receiving 13 Mbps max :(

Contacted BT support and they said wait 10 days for the line to settle, well its 12 now and I'm still getting slow speeds. This can't be the maximum I can get right? My Brother gets faster broadband speeds in the Western Australian outback.

Man of Honour
The 10 day thing is a load of bull, it's only really relevant for ADSL lines. Get back onto BT.

What's the wholesale checker say you should get?

Associate
I just did that actually

Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.83 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 9.99 Mbps-14.27 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 14.27 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.19Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Not looking good for me :( Just been in contact with them and they said they are going to do some work on the line

Associate
Well i got off the phone with BT and they said that 22 Mbps is the best my line can achieve which I am pretty well disappointed with. Not sure what my options are really, can I cancel my contract over a speed issue?

Currently getting the same speed as my old ADSL connection in the rental flat 0.8 mile down the road from where I am now but paying twice as much.

Associate
Unless you can get Virgin Media, why would you cancel? This is the best speed you're going to get.

well I just checked and by the looks of it I can get Virgin media. I'm just frustrated that BT thinks that this is highspeed broadband and are happy to charge me for it.

Problem with Virgin is that I'm worried about night time congestion arrrrghhh first world problems and all that.

Man of Honour
TBH the service will most likely be better than that of Virgin's. If you're that bothered about download speed, run two connections and get the 50mbit Virgin one and run dual WAN. Virgin for downloads, FTTC for gaming/browsing. Kick off with VM and they'll give you heavy discounts on your bill if it's congested.

Soldato
So my contract has expired and both Plusnet and Sky are doing stupidly cheap deals, I currently pay £18.99 line rental and £32.50 for Infinity 2, called BT retention and they offered me £8 off my current bill if I took out a 24 month contract :(

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
So my contract has expired and both Plusnet and Sky are doing stupidly cheap deals, I currently pay £18.99 line rental and £32.50 for Infinity 2, called BT retention and they offered me £8 off my current bill if I took out a 24 month contract :(

Change provider. Retention deals are never as good as new customer + cashback offers.

Soldato
So Sky or Plusnet, thoughts?

sky were superb for 14 years for me on ADSL/ADSL2/Fibre.

Only moved as I was in the same boat of getting a crap offer to stay with them (£25 a month for fibre pro)

Gone to BT for 12 months - £10 a month for Infinity 1, £120 cashback, £100 pre-paid mastercard, £5 a month for BT sport etc.

Will chop it back in 12 months if Sky doing a good deal.

Man of Honour
Apart from the silly thing about not being meant to use your own router, I'd rate Sky above Zen for the service I received. Shame they're doing away with the static IP though.

Back
Top Bottom