BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
My switch day is today, was cut off from sky at around 8.30 this morning, but still waiting for my BT infinity to activate. Is it normal to wait all day for it to transfer?

I left Sky nearly two weeks ago to move to Pulse8, and the same thing happened to me. The connection was cut off early Monday morning, and I didn't get my new one up and running until about 2pm the same day.

Associate
My changeover to BT happened today. Sky went off at midnight last night. BT came out today and everything was working by 11am. 52Mbps down and 10 up. happy days :D

Only issue I have I can't see the £40 Next voucher I was promised in my account, the Mastercard is there. Don't know if it's been missed off when they originally messed my order up :confused:

Soldato
I've just signed up. Hope I don't regret it. Stupidly cheap though really.

£33.99/month
~£56 installation/delivery
£155 Quidco
£100 Mastercard

Total: £209/year, or £17.40/month. Plus about £40 for 12 months worth of NowTV entertainment vouchers. Not expecting the overall package to be as good as Sky TV + Virgin fibre broadband, but it's about £400 cheaper over the year. Will probably go back to Virgin for broadband next year and keep the Youview box for TV.

Soldato
No words, this is from live chat

Robert: I will need to replace the hub for you
Robert: I just wanted to confirm everything from your end so that the set up is all correct
Robert: There has been issues with the new hub which is why I am replacing it for you
Lee: So how much longer will I be without internet for?
Lee: Plus if there have been issues, why are you sending me one out in the first place?
Robert: We sent you this hub because it the latest hub
Robert: If you want I will try to send you a hub 5?
Lee: But you have just said you "know it has issues"
Lee: So I have signed up for a service, and the first thing you have done is send me out a hub that you know may not work?
Robert: All the hub does not have issues

They have transferred me to someone else now, who is saying there is not a problem with the smart hub, even though they will only send me a homehub 5 as a replacement!

Soldato
I came back from work one day last week to find no internet and a hissing crackle on my line.

Obviously assumed it was a line fault but restarted the HH6 away. Still no internet and hiss on line.

It turned out the HH6 had completely locked up and only turning it off solved the problem.... hopefully this is not a sign of things to come. :o

Caporegime
Had the Smart Hub for a few months, no issues other than BT Wi-Fi has been disabled on it due to a compatibility problem they are working on - this doesn't affect the main Wi-Fi network.

Associate
Just received a quote back from BT for the installation of the infrastructure for FTTP to my parents small rural hamlet
We are looking at £30K for the installation of the fibre to the area plus the installation costs to connect the premises we could run anything from £300 to £1500 per house depending on where they locate the distribution point
Getting FTTP would be great but we now have to convince the neighbours to shell out close to £3K each to fund broadband infrastructure which will always be owned by BT...
We currently suffer with 1Mbs on a good day so an improvement is long due but it is a significant about of money for anybody to shell out
I'm thinking a good way to convince some neighbours is house prices. Surely having ultrast internet would have a significant impact on property values greater that the £3K it would cost? Houses currently average at £500K in the area

For those who may be interested, we have recently signed a contract with BT for the installation of the FTTP infrastructure to our small hamlet. Superfast Staffordshire have also agreed to pay half of the community contribution leaving the residents with £1500 to pay each
This is hugely exciting for us as fingers crossed in the next 12 months or so we'll be able to get 300Mbs up from our measly 1Mbs connection!

Last edited:
Caporegime
For those who may be interested, we have recently signed a contract with BT for the installation of the FTTP infrastructure to our small hamlet. Superfast Staffordshire have also agreed to pay half of the community contribution leaving the residents with £1500 to pay.
This is hugely exciting for us as fingers crossed in the next 12 months or so we'll be able to get 300Mbs up from our measly 1Mbs connection!

Just out of interest, how much does that leave for each household?

Associate
Pretty happy with Infinity 1. Consistent speed at any time of the day & low pings, far better than the supposed faster Virgin connection I had use of. I get the impression there is far less backbone congestion:
ethernet.png

Is there a way to find out if your line is being upgraded with vectoring?

Back
Top Bottom