BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Steveocee;30485033 said:
Anyone else read THE email today from BT? £2.50 rise in April. It's not the reason however it has given me my "get out of jail free card" to end my contract early. I'm now moving and no longer need the BT line so I'm 4 months into a 12 month contract and I get to leave it (new house already has a service by other means).

Yep got that one as well. Time to finally get something sorted I think. Just got to decide what and where.

Can get fibre where I live (which surprises the hell out of me), so I think it's either sky or plusnet.

Caporegime
Sky are doing a good deal for existing TV customers atm. £10 activation and £30pm for unlimited (40/10) inc line rental. £35 for Max (80/20) should you be so inclined.

Soldato
KIA;30494197 said:
£21.99 seems expensive. :/

MonsterMoshi;30494310 said:
Surely cheaper to get a virgin landline?

peterpies;30495104 said:
That has a call package with it and first glance wihtout reading the fine print, it's looks a very good call package.

They mention backup as well.

Yes includes anytime calls basically and privacy features. Standard line rental is about £19 anyway. This is a landline only package and cannot be purchased with broadband.

A virgin landline would have been cheaper, but as we know virgin do have the capacity to be oversubscribed very quickly -if the connection gets bad very quickly then there is the option to reconnect infinity

Soldato
The1nonly1;30498642 said:
When is the period that we can cancel contract without penalty? I haven't had any email.

I didn't get a letter/email (still haven't) but rang up BT options team to check, confirmed will get £2.50 price rise on my Infinity Fibre package. Said I could cancel now without penalty, I'm sure she said the period to cancel no fee was March sometime. As the price rise takes effect from 1st April.

I ordered Plusnet Fibre Extra last week (£85 cashback) got letters in post today, one from BT saying I will not have any termination fees. Another from PN with my setup details etc. Go live on 23rd Feb. There is a page on BT's site somewhere, if you put in your account number and landline it tells you what price rise effects you.

Associate
Got my email last night from BT not sure who to go with to be honest. PN was an option until they started to phone up every 5mins because I didnt notice the tick box when checking what I would get on the site.

Soldato
My 14 day line learning comes to an end today officially and the sync crawled up to 39.14mb so I'm hitting the minimum guaranteed slightly disappointed not to be getting closer to the 50 given I can see my cab out the window but I suspect the line to the pole outside will be massively limiting as it is probably 50 years old!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
^
At the risk of throwing a spanner in the works for you, the line being overhead (as such) isn't a factor. If anything overhead lines tend to be subject to less interference as they are usually in smaller bundles. The lines in our village are all overhead and i get 80/20 at a distance of around 600m from the cabinet for example.

It may be worth investigating further (or you may be unfortunate and have an aluminium line) :)

Associate
I didn't get a letter/email (still haven't) but rang up BT options team to check, confirmed will get £2.50 price rise on my Infinity Fibre package. Said I could cancel now without penalty, I'm sure she said the period to cancel no fee was March sometime. As the price rise takes effect from 1st April.

I ordered Plusnet Fibre Extra last week (£85 cashback) got letters in post today, one from BT saying I will not have any termination fees. Another from PN with my setup details etc. Go live on 23rd Feb. There is a page on BT's site somewhere, if you put in your account number and landline it tells you what price rise effects you.

Thanks, finally got an email today from them about price increase

Soldato
^
At the risk of throwing a spanner in the works for you, the line being overhead (as such) isn't a factor. If anything overhead lines tend to be subject to less interference as they are usually in smaller bundles. The lines in our village are all overhead and i get 80/20 at a distance of around 600m from the cabinet for example.

It may be worth investigating further (or you may be unfortunate and have an aluminium line) :)
Got to wait and see I guess the quality of the line coming into my house is terrible though and there is an odd very old junction box before the master socket. Not really that bothered 39mb is a massive jump from 6mb on adsl and the upload speed is mind blowing. All in all very happy with the switch and the bt hub is brilliant the wifi range and speed is a huge step up!

Man of Honour
Has anyone seen this BT fibre deal via MSE?

New. A YEAR's BT fast fibre broadband & line '£264'
The key to slashing costs is pouncing on hot, short-lived deals & this is less than half non-promo prices

You usually pay more for faster fibre - best for gamers, streamers or multiple users - but this cracker is far cheaper than out-of-contract prices, even for standard speeds. For example, BT normally charges about £490/yr for standard broadband and line, and £565/yr for its faster fibre equivalent. Here are the need-to-knows...

• New. Hot BT fibre broadband & line. Use this BT fibre link* and anyone who doesn't currently have BT broadband can get this line rent & up-to-52Mb speed unltd broadband deal on a 1yr contract (83% of the UK can get it - you're told when applying). It's about 3x normal speed & avail until 11.59pm on Thu 23 Feb. Here's how it works:
    1. Unlimited fibre broadband and line rent's discounted to £29.49/mth for 12mths. After, it jumps to the usual £47.49/mth.

2. You pay £59.99 set-up costs. Includes activation and p&p for the 'free' router.

3. CLAIM a £100 prepaid Mastercard & £50 cashback AFTER installation. This makes the deal really hot, but it's fiddly. Annoyingly, BT won't remind you, so diarise to use this Mastercard link and cashback link. You've up to 3mths after activation to claim - they then take up to 45 days to arrive.
    - Anything else? Weekend calls to UK landlines are included, for others see BT call costs. Regular cashback site users may see bigger cashback elsewhere, but often on more expensive deals. Cashback can also change daily, so check.

- Cost analysis: It's a steal. The total you pay over 1yr is £413.87 before calls. But claim the cashback & use the Mastercard (anywhere that takes Mastercard so it's almost as good as cash) & it's £263.87, equiv to £21.99/mth.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Got to wait and see I guess the quality of the line coming into my house is terrible though and there is an odd very old junction box before the master socket. Not really that bothered 39mb is a massive jump from 6mb on adsl and the upload speed is mind blowing. All in all very happy with the switch and the bt hub is brilliant the wifi range and speed is a huge step up!

I had a bridge tap on the side of my house close to where the dropwire attaches. It looked ugly and i had master sockets in two locations in the wrong places. I removed it, and actually ended up using cat5e up to the drop wire (soldered and coated in hot glue, then put into a little new junction box). I then fed the cat5e to a modern NTE5 with VDSL Mk2 faceplate purchased on eBay. This made a huge difference to my sync speeds back then.

Back
Top Bottom