BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
There are options on the Openreach price list for the engineers to perform router and set top box connections.

Which no single CP, at least while I was involved, would pay for.

Far cheaper to tell the end user "The engineer will set it all up for you" and leave the engineer in the awkward situation where the end user is expecting him/her to oblige while behind the scenes the CP has chosen the no setup option.

APM

APM

Associate
The guy was good,no problems at all.

All I'm noting is the difference between my old and new ISP's and their respective set-ups.

Actually liking the youview box a little more than the tivo,I'm finding stuff on it that I missed in the listings.

APM

APM

Associate
Use the following settings in LAN > IPTV:

- Select ISP Profile = None

- Choose IPTV STB Port = None

- Use DHCP routes = Microsoft

- Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable

- Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) = Enable

- UDP Proxy (Udpxy) = 0

Thanks very much for this.

I don't have that page in my settings as I have Padavan firmware installed but I've had a play around to get as close to this as possible for no returns so far.

I don't want to go back to the stock firmware as I'll lose my guest networks and some other options so I think I'll sell this 56u on and get a 66u and put the Merlin firmware on that.
I think some folks have posted on here that that combo works well.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
As I said above, for me on Zen (and Plusnet before them) no. Just the ISP login details. I do use Google DNS which I change along with some personal preference changes. Nothing out of the ordinary. :)

As for the HG612 that's the usual affair. Unless you unlock it, where you would need a second Ethernet cable running from the LAN2 port on the modem to one of your router's LAN ports (for logging into the modem and viewing/monitoring line stats). This isn't needed unless you want to do it. :)

More info: http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Last edited:

APM

APM

Associate
As I said above, for me on Zen (and Plusnet before them) no. Just the ISP login details. I do use Google DNS which I change along with some personal preference changes. Nothing out of the ordinary. :)

As for the HG612 that's the usual affair. Unless you unlock it, where you would need a second Ethernet running from the LAN2 port to one of your router's LAN ports (for logging into the modem and viewing/monitoring line stats). This isn't needed unless you want to do it. :)

More info: http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Cheers,just read the other posts again,thanks for the reply and the unlocking link.

Soldato
sigh.... after an 18 month wait ( which was preceded by several years of waiting ) another 8 month window added to the adsl checker and all FTTC information removed from cabinet details ( formerly shows FTTC, then went to FTTPoD and now none of those options show) - I guess suburban Edinburgh must be really hard to deploy in - especially since they upgraded the exchange to fibre years ago

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
3.5 years of sitting on a 2 meg connection and finally ordered FTTC today, supposedly be all sorted within 2 weeks :)

Soldato
I'm moving to a new build in June. On checking the earlier new builds further down the street on the OpenReach website, they are listed as being in the plans for the rollout of FTTP. If I check my address, it's still just listed as not having fibre. Is it likely OpenReach will extend their FTTP deployment to cover all the way up the street?

I've been with Telewest/Virgin cable broadband for the past 17 years so I'll be going to back the speeds I had about 15 years ago if I have to go to ADSL as BT reckon I'll get 3Mb max with a minimum of 512k :eek:

Might seem like first world problems and all that but having gotten used to rock solid cable speeds, it'll be a bit of a culture shock to go back to slow internet.

Would be a bit of a bummer if a house in the same street can get FTTP and I can only get 2Mb ADSL!

Associate
I'm moving to a new build in June. On checking the earlier new builds further down the street on the OpenReach website, they are listed as being in the plans for the rollout of FTTP. If I check my address, it's still just listed as not having fibre. Is it likely OpenReach will extend their FTTP deployment to cover all the way up the street?

I've been with Telewest/Virgin cable broadband for the past 17 years so I'll be going to back the speeds I had about 15 years ago if I have to go to ADSL as BT reckon I'll get 3Mb max with a minimum of 512k :eek:

Might seem like first world problems and all that but having gotten used to rock solid cable speeds, it'll be a bit of a culture shock to go back to slow internet.

Would be a bit of a bummer if a house in the same street can get FTTP and I can only get 2Mb ADSL!
In my experience with Openreach/BT, I wouldn't rely on it happening but that doesn't mean it won't. No one will be able to tell you if it will happen or not though.

Associate
I'm moving to a new build in June. On checking the earlier new builds further down the street on the OpenReach website, they are listed as being in the plans for the rollout of FTTP. If I check my address, it's still just listed as not having fibre. Is it likely OpenReach will extend their FTTP deployment to cover all the way up the street ?

New builds can be funny in how they are connected to the exchange as they have to slot in to a network topology set out before they were there. My guess is that place is either connected to a different cabinet from the others or on a direct line to the exchange (which kills any hope of FTTC).

Definitely worth asking to see what can be done. Also worth having a look around the streets to see if you can see another cabinet or where the telephone wires on the poles go (if there are any).

Openreach have plans showing which houses are connected to which cabinets. If you can get an answer from them it'll help you work out if FTTC is a likely option in the future

Man of Honour
New build areas usually have to campaign for it. That's what happened where I live and it sold out faster than any other cabinet in the UK. BT had to put in a second cabinet as they didn't realise the demand would be so high.

Associate
Logged onto BT and i have an offer on fibre broadband as a thank you. Infinity 1 with free smart hub for £31.49 on 18 month contract. Price includes line rental and £9.99 delivery charge for the smart hub. 34% saving

Soldato
New builds can be funny in how they are connected to the exchange as they have to slot in to a network topology set out before they were there. My guess is that place is either connected to a different cabinet from the others or on a direct line to the exchange (which kills any hope of FTTC).

Definitely worth asking to see what can be done. Also worth having a look around the streets to see if you can see another cabinet or where the telephone wires on the poles go (if there are any).

Openreach have plans showing which houses are connected to which cabinets. If you can get an answer from them it'll help you work out if FTTC is a likely option in the future

Is it best to ask OpenReach or the developer? I guess if I speak to the developer they'll just play the "nothing to do with us card". I'm assuming these OpenReach plans aren't publicly available?

Soldato
Try looking up the details via the address checker, http://dslchecker.bt.com and search for the Openreach where and when checker as well and see what that says.
The first link just confirms the crappy ADSL speeds of 1-3Mb and the OpenReach site just says they don't have a plan for my area yet. Never understand why they don't lay the cables when the other utilities are being laid. Government and/or local authorities should make this mandatory.

Associate
The first link just confirms the crappy ADSL speeds of 1-3Mb and the OpenReach site just says they don't have a plan for my area yet. Never understand why they don't lay the cables when the other utilities are being laid. Government and/or local authorities should make this mandatory.

Did you use the address checker for both your new build and the others? It should tell you which cabinet it is connected to on the top line.

Laying utilities together was one of the things I came up time and again when I worked on this - its harder to sort out than you think!

Soldato
Did you use the address checker for both your new build and the others? It should tell you which cabinet it is connected to on the top line.

Laying utilities together was one of the things I came up time and again when I worked on this - its harder to sort out than you think!
Thanks, they are both cabinet 56. The only difference is a slight drop in the speeds I'm assuming due to distance from the exchange.

Back
Top Bottom