BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
So BT have just sent me the new Smart Hub (FOC) and noticed there's no WAN port on the back of it.
I'm happy with my HG612 + HH5 combo as it works perfectly fine, is there any way of using the HG612 + Smart hub, or even Smart hub + HH5 (as a switch) would work since my PC is in another room and I use a long ethernet to connect the HG612 to the HH5.

Cheers.

Actually while i'm here might as well have a rant about this Smart hub which is suppose to be worth £100+.......Plain old cardboard box and no ethernet cable? How laughably cheap of BT xD

Last edited:
Soldato
Beyond suggesting that you have a look around the configuration screens I can't really help with that.

I believe they use the same router for FTTP connections. If there's a special version for FTTP then all bets are off.

For FTTP you need a router with an Ethernet WAN port. If you visit BT's page here you can download the 'BT Smart Hub Fibre to the premises (FTTP) user guide - installed by a BT engineer' PDF. On page three of that LAN4 is shown as a WAN port.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Should have our fttc all enabled this time next week :)

Annoyingly checking dslchecker now showing fair bit lower speeds than before, but still a lot better than on now.

Frustrating thing previous estimates put us in scope for one of the higher rate packages, now it's probably not going to be needed if the new estimates are anything to go by.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Beyond suggesting that you have a look around the configuration screens I can't really help with that.

I believe they use the same router for FTTP connections. If there's a special version for FTTP then all bets are off.

For FTTP you need a router with an Ethernet WAN port. If you visit BT's page here you can download the 'BT Smart Hub Fibre to the premises (FTTP) user guide - installed by a BT engineer' PDF. On page three of that LAN4 is shown as a WAN port.
Failing this, unlocking the 612 would enable him to put it into router mode and just uplink to it from the new smart hub. The 612 is actually a router as well, it's just rarely used as such.

Soldato
I unlocked my 612 ages ago.

New issue, My contract renewed on the 30th March, does BT re run line training on my line? Cause tonight i'm having horrendous outages, and now I've gone from 70+down to 40ish down and 18up.

Just seems awfully odd that i'm now getting outages at night not long after renewing and i've kept my HG612+HH5 set up.

update

Just tried with just the HH6 and same results, this is with every plugged into the Test socket.

And here's my speed, considering i had 70+down 17+ up stable before.

6185091616.png

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Noticing the SNR changes are kicking in over the last few days here in Oxfordshire. Our line is down to 4.3db with a near full rate sync, nice little tweak there :)

APM

APM

Associate
Use the following settings in LAN > IPTV:

- Select ISP Profile = None

- Choose IPTV STB Port = None

- Use DHCP routes = Microsoft

- Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable

- Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) = Enable

- UDP Proxy (Udpxy) = 0

Got an RT N-66U and set it up according to this post.
Now have my BT TV channels working,many thanks pcfarrar.

Associate
Noticing the SNR changes are kicking in over the last few days here in Oxfordshire. Our line is down to 4.3db with a near full rate sync, nice little tweak there :)
Our SNR has decreased from around 6db to 3.3db, and connection seems to be very stable. Connection speed has increased from around 63Mbit to 73Mbit, which was a nice surprise. This is in Cambridgeshire on Sky Fibre Pro.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Oh wow I just checked mine after you posted that, showing 3.4db and a 79999 sync with attainable of 83500.

Awesome :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
How do you order FTTP? On Openzone it shows our exchange supports it, but can't see Infinity 3 etc on BT site
What does your line say? FTTP is a very limited service which you'd surely be fully aware that you had it installed to your property, as you'd see the fibre NTE!

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
My FTTC connection goes live tomorrow, after 4 years of around 2 meg will be nice to have something a bit better :)

Neighbours connected today and are getting 51Mbps so should be good.

Man of Honour
I unlocked my 612 ages ago.

New issue, My contract renewed on the 30th March, does BT re run line training on my line? Cause tonight i'm having horrendous outages, and now I've gone from 70+down to 40ish down and 18up.

Just seems awfully odd that i'm now getting outages at night not long after renewing and i've kept my HG612+HH5 set up.

update

Just tried with just the HH6 and same results, this is with every plugged into the Test socket.

And here's my speed, considering i had 70+down 17+ up stable before.

6185091616.png

Did you manage to resolve this? I want to start a new contract with BT and try to get cashback+ the mastercard voucher, but the line I have currently has been great. If I cancel and start a new contract, I might end up with the same issue.

Soldato
Did you manage to resolve this? I want to start a new contract with BT and try to get cashback+ the mastercard voucher, but the line I have currently has been great. If I cancel and start a new contract, I might end up with the same issue.

I'll be sorting this out at the start of the weekend as I'm off work all of next week, i'll try and pull my line stats of the 612 tonight as well.

Back
Top Bottom