1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, Feb 8, 2011.

1. V F

Capodecina

Same.

How does this work if I'm on Sky? Says 330/30 available. Hmmmmmm...

2. gav2pac

Gangster

isn't fibre on demand the one you have to pay for labour etc yourself?

native FTTP shows as just FTTP available

3. SupraWez

Wise Guy

I guess it depends on your network provider.

Zen are offering FTTPoD for home and business customers now :D

4. TJM

Wise Guy

And pay massive line rental for the first three years before you can pay regular FTTP subscription prices.

5. V F

Capodecina

Erm, mine says just FTTP that is available. So, as I said how does this work as I've not seen or at least paid attention to any poles near me.

6. TheVoice

Capodecina

That's not good! They didn't send an engineer out last week in the end, I phoned the night before to query something and they said the appointment hadn't been confirmed by the person I'd spoken to the first time, then said I wouldn't need an appointment as they'd fix it on their side. Turns out they can't, so they're now coming tomorrow.

7. Caged

Capodecina

I'd be amazed if you were in an FTTC area now and also had FTTP (not on-demand) available. If you put your details into the checker on BT's retail website (e.g. go through the order process for Infinity) it will show you the options.

8. SupraWez

Wise Guy

Correction, got a response back from Zen this morning and they did run a trial but due to lead times and costs they have not added to their portfolio :(

9. SupraWez

Wise Guy

10. V F

Capodecina

:eek:

11. WoodyUK

Soldato

Hey there,

I've had a second line installed since March and finding it isn't particularly stable whereas the first line is completely fine.

Sync stats differ a fair bit too.
    Line 1: Download 13Mbps / Upload 2Mbps
    Line 2: Download 18Mbps / Upload 0.5Mbps.

Assuming the intermittent dropping is an issue with the SmartHub (which is the all-in-one- no openreach box required), can I just replace the SmartHub with an openreach modem and router combo? i.e. Huawei HG612 ? Or any other suggested models?

Thanks in advance.

12. ChrisD.

Capodecina

Yes you can. Budget? Why do you have two lines, do you want to do dual WAN on one router?

13. WoodyUK

Soldato

Ah great, no particular budget but don't require anything fancy. I've got the HG612 and ASUS N66U on the other line which I'd be happy to go for again.

Have two lines, one for my own dedicated use for work/gaming, and the other for the rest of house devices, TVs, laptops, tablets etc which cause havoc on latency.

Nah, happy to keep them separate.

14. ChrisD.

Capodecina

If you're happy with that then go for the same setup, the N66U is nice and cheap.

15. varkanoid

Sgarrista

He he just wondering if this is a joke. What does the P stand for in FTTP again ? ;) I thought it was pond.

16. V F

Capodecina

:p

17. roadie

Mobster

I've had a couple of months now where BT have messed up my bill, which should be £29.99 a month for 12 months.

As a result of this they will be reducing it to £27.99 a month for 12 months. Decent enough customer service I guess.

18. Krakkenbus

Gangster

After just under a month of daily checking I've managed to get fttc ordered. By the looks of it I've got the only slot in the cabinet.
    Had settled myself for a long wait but it's been rather quick!

19. Woden

Soldato

BT was supposed to connect me yesterday, get a purple light (cable not connected) new cable arrived this morning, still a purple light.

Call again today and the lady does some basic tests and passes me onto an engineer department guy, who ignored everything she told him. He needs to run some tests on the line, not a problem, so I give him my mobile number snd hang up. He calls me just to put me on hold for 5 mins, then hang up!

Not filling me with confidence BT, 2 days in and I'm not even connected, waiting for an engineer slot :| And stop asking if I'm sure the phone lines works, I'm calling you on it!

20. TheVoice

Capodecina

The upload speed woes continue. Engineer came, couldn't find an issue, said it would need to be escalated to BT Wholesale. Contacted BT that day who were marking the fault as fixed, they initially seemed reluctant to do that as they "don't guarantee upload speed anyway", but eventually they said someone from BT Wholesale would contact me within the next two days. Three days later, called BT again to chase it up and stop the fault from again being marked as closed. It's now been escalated to the next level where I've got a single point of contact who is dealing with the fault from here. Been through all the tests with him today, they still can't figure out what the issue is so a BT Wholesale engineer is going to visit on Tuesday.

I've tried new cables, I've tried a different HomeHub, still the same issue. It has to be on their side but I'm getting the impression they won't spend much more time looking into it after this. :(