BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Why don't you configure the Pi-hole to act as your DHCP server instead of the HH5? I believe that it's possible, and it'll fix your DNS problems without spending a penny.

maj

maj

Soldato
Managed to get BT to upgrade me to Infinity 2 for no extra charge due to the new customer deals they have going. 18 month contract though but will probably be around that time before I can get Virgin here anyway.

Man of Honour
Managed to get BT to upgrade me to Infinity 2 for no extra charge due to the new customer deals they have going. 18 month contract though but will probably be around that time before I can get Virgin here anyway.
Why on earth would you consider Virgin? They're atrocious.

Soldato
Virgin media is an oversubscribed mess. I'd rather have Infinity.

My friend and I started downloading the PS4 Ghost Recon patch at almost the same time last night (him just before me). I'm on a 78Mbps BT Infinity connection with horrific upload speed issues at the moment, and he's on a 200Mbps Virgin connection, yet mine still finished a good few mins before his. He wasn't impressed.

V F

V F

Soldato
My friend and I started downloading the PS4 Ghost Recon patch at almost the same time last night (him just before me). I'm on a 78Mbps BT Infinity connection with horrific upload speed issues at the moment, and he's on a 200Mbps Virgin connection, yet mine still finished a good few mins before his. He wasn't impressed.
Ouch. I do not understand in 2017 it feels like the internet of 2005.

Caporegime
I friend at work was stuck in a Virgin contract and had awful contention issues. He sent a few pictures and put a few more on Facebook. A supposed 200 meg connection and at peak times he was lucky to get over 10Meg yet Virgin had no plans for over a year to improve things. He eventually negotiated his way out of the contract, took up Sky Broadband and says his 40 meg connection is more consistent than his supposed 200 Meg one. Outright speed isn't everything.

TJM

TJM

Associate
A good FTTC line is hard to beat. BT just has so much capacity in their backhaul - Steam always maxes out my Infinity connection.

maj

maj

Soldato
Not sure how long it should take but since BT upgraded me to infinity 2 on Thursday I'm still getting Infinity 1 download speeds. Upload speeds have doubled though. If I log into my BT account it says my package has been upgraded so might give them a ring tomorrow as I'm compatible with Infinity 2 based on their website.

Soldato
One evening last week I was having horrendous packet loss issues: speed tests showed download speeds of 1 Mb/s (should be 70+), web pages often didn't load, pings timing out, etc. I had this before last year and it took Plusnet (well, Openreach I imagine) nearly 2 weeks to sort it out. This time Plusnet did a bunch of tests on my line but the issue went away before they did the tests, so their conclusion was that I was uploading too much, which was affecting my download speeds. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Was you uploading?
When they did their tests, yes, but it was already fixed by then. When I reported the issue, no. It was nothing wrong my end, just tonnes of packet loss, similar to what people used to report when being moved to Plusnet's "new" network infrastructure, and the same as I had for nearly two weeks last year.

Soldato
Just an update from me,

Managed to snag a new customer offer, using my wifes name to takeover my line :)

- £28.99 per month Inifinity 1 (i cant get 2 speeds)
- £70 quidco cashback
- £200 prepaid master card

= (28.99x12 = 347 + £60 activation) = £408 - £70 - £200 = £137 / 12 = £11.41 per month.

Back
Top Bottom