BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
^ That is an SNR offset command commonly used on ADSL connections. I wasnt aware that it had any effect on VDSL, that is cool. :)

Man of Honour
^ That is an SNR offset command commonly used on ADSL connections. I wasnt aware that it had any effect on VDSL, that is cool. :)
I was under the impression it's all controlled at the cabinet and no matter what you did at home wouldn't make any difference. Well my downloads have gone from ~5MB/s to 8~MB/s. Not a massive difference but makes game updates etc a little bit faster.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
That cool, I too thought this stuff wasn't doable on VDSL. I'd love to see my SNR drop just to 5dB, that would give me back full sync that (i assume) crosstalk took away from me.

I remember back in the day using DMT on my Netgear DG834GT to lower the target SNR and squeeze as muc has I could out of my connection. :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Just had an email from BT. Is everyone getting this upgrade? I'm currently on the 52Mb package, which they bumped from 40Mb a year or two ago wasn't it?

GmctA80.png

Associate
So those of us paying for Infinity 2 already, are we expecting to see price drop to Infinity 1 pricing, inline with Infinity 1 speed boost?...

Looks like BT are going for a single FTTC package of just 'up to 76Mbps', in preparation for G.Fast launch.

Soldato
They do have FTTP in some areas.
Very limited though. If BT really are upgrading everyone from 52/10 to 80/20, surely there's going to be a new top-tier package? They can't rely on FTTP coverage to upsell.

Maybe the 76 package will boost to 90 or similar?
BT retail can't just offer the speeds that they want, it has to be something Openreach provides. Currently that maxes out at 80/20 for FTTC (excluding G.fast trials).

Soldato
So those of us paying for Infinity 2 already, are we expecting to see price drop to Infinity 1 pricing, inline with Infinity 1 speed boost?...

Looks like BT are going for a single FTTC package of just 'up to 76Mbps', in preparation for G.Fast launch.

So.... we are inline for a price drop then! :confused:

I've just renewed my contract as well...

Associate
rXAW9W3.jpg

I went from 52Mbps to 54Mbps :D
That is the maximum my line can connect at anyway. Better than nothing I suppose and they doubled my cloud storage from 100GB to 200GB.
My HH5 dropped connection this morning at 5am and reconnected at 54Mbps.
Didn't realise I had been with them for so long :D I have to say in all that time I have only had 3 issues and all were sorted by posting on the forums after getting nowhere on the phone with india and live chat with india. :(
I'm paying £43 a month all in for infinity 1.
Last issue I had was when I plugged the smart hub in July (I think) and it kept restarting thus DLM knocked my speed right down to 20Mbps. The forum staff got and openreach engineer to come out and reset the line and all has been good till now.
I do use Routerstatshub5A (http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm)to monitor my connection and a few times I have seen my max connection speed at over 60Mbps but upload stayed at 10Mbps. If I see that again I will disconnect my dsl cable and try and connect at that. I wasn't awake at the times when it was happening as I leave my PC on all the time.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
^ Just thought i'd point out that £43/month is way above the going rate for a FTTC connection. The most competitive deals are around £30-32 and that is before cashback is taken into consideration. You might want to contact their retentions dept and ask for a discount if you are paying that much.

Associate
Cheers Jez, I rang them up last month and asked about getting it cheaper and the lady said I could only get a £1 discount. I am rubbish at bargaining :(
That is for my phone and calls also btw.

Soldato
Cheers Jez, I rang them up last month and asked about getting it cheaper and the lady said I could only get a £1 discount. I am rubbish at bargaining :(
That is for my phone and calls also btw.
You don't get any decent deals unless you actually threaten to leave and are willing to go through with it. Give them your 30 day notice and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom