BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Last year got BT Fibre for my gf's house, got an install date but then it was put back 6 weeks, turned out to be the cab full, the order never failed.

I can't say for other ISP's but if we (Sky) try to place an order on a full cabinet it fails immediately. The DSL checker will say 'wait list' so I'd assume some ISP's may allow you to wait, but not all.

Soldato
S43xiRT

S43xiRTm.jpg
Anyone seen one of these before? It was a standard telephony box up until recently but I noticed yesterday that they've tacked something resembling a fibre cab onto the side of it.

EDIT: Looks like this is a G.fast pod.

I want to complain to BT as they pushed back my line install & fibre activation date by nearly 2 weeks. They decided to tell me this by e-mail on the afternoon of the original date after I'd already come home from work to wait for the engineer :rolleyes: I e-mailed them over 10 days ago but no reply so far quelle surprise. What's the best way of getting their attention?

Last edited:
Caporegime
S43xiRT

Anyone seen one of these before? It was a standard telephony box up until recently but I noticed yesterday that they've tacked something resembling a fibre cab onto the side of it.

EDIT: Looks like this is a G.fast pod.

I want to complain to BT as they pushed back my line install & fibre activation date by nearly 2 weeks. They decided to tell me this by e-mail on the afternoon of the original date after I'd already come home from work to wait for the engineer :rolleyes: I e-mailed them over 10 days ago but no reply so far quelle surprise. What's the best way of getting their attention?

Openreach are well behind on activations with unlimited overtime and 1100 engineers being trained up at the moment. Sky activations are being pushed back by up to two weeks beyond the original date as well.

Soldato
Well, the engineer came yesterday and I still don't have a connection as they need to run a line from the pole to my property. Funny, as I specifically asked about whether this was an issue when I initially called BT a month ago. Not only that but when testing the lines coming into the flat, they've somehow managed to balls up the connection to the business downstairs from a 7MB connection to less than 1MB :rolleyes: The landlord is going to be chuffed when he comes back from holiday next week!

Soldato
Anyone had FTTP installed? Can they give me a run down of the can's and cannot's?

I know I have to have a ONT box installed. I believe I have the fibre line running to my house currently (Guessing where current copper line enters the house and where the master socket is situated?)

Engineer needs to come round and hook it all up.

Main question is how much wiggle room have I got with where I can have the ONT box? My master socket is right by the front door in a small hallway which basically just has a flight of stairs in it. Box can live here but it's a bit of an eyesore.

My living room is adjacent, however master socket is on the opposite side of the front door to the living room. If that makes sense. So running a cable internally could be an ache.

I do have a pre-drilled hole that I run the cable from my satellite dish into my sky box round the side of my house. Goes straight in behind the TV in the living room where all the plugs, telephone and Ethernet cables are currently. This would be ideal as it is out of site and with all the other wizardry.

Would the route a cable externally round the house a few meters?

Soldato
Just got the keys to a new flat - doesn't offer VM so have to look at BT. Going for Infinity, which keeps advertising a "self install" but when I get to checkout it seems I actually need an engineer to connect the phone line (even though there's multiple phone sockets around the flat and as there's only ADSL services I find it very hard to believe a phone line has been physically disconnected)!

The earliest I can get is Fri 13th but I can't get time off for a month so the earliest I can choose is 23rd Oct. So I'll buy the contract now but not get broadband for a month. That's disgusting and I haven't even placed an order yet! Great start, BT; I'm beyond annoyed. :mad:

Soldato
Have you tried a different ISP such as Plusnet? If they try to place an order do you hit the same block?

BTW if there's only ADSL how are you able to order Infinity?

Sorry, I just said ADSL because it's coming in via a phone socket but they definitely offer Infinity and Infinity 2 at this postcode. And I wouldn't touch Plusnet with a soiled stick; my better-half has them in the next apartment block over and they've been abysmal. Terrible speeds (less than 1Mb at times) and they say there's no issue.

Soldato
Nothing (much) wrong with Plusnet, certainly easier to deal with than BT itself. Anyway it wasn't supposed to be a recommendation, just an example.

Have you tried placing an order with any other ISP? You don't have to complete the order, just go through the motions. Do you hit the same problem regarding needing an engineer visit?

Soldato
Nothing (much) wrong with Plusnet, certainly easier to deal with than BT itself. Anyway it wasn't supposed to be a recommendation, just an example.

Have you tried placing an order with any other ISP? You don't have to complete the order, just go through the motions. Do you hit the same problem regarding needing an engineer visit?
My alternatives are talktalk (no chance), plusnet, and Sky. Plusnet's website is down at the moment, so I tried with Sky - same earliest date available.

Soldato
Whoever you choose for an ISP they'll be dealing with BT Openreach.

From recent posts it looks like there are a lot of Openreach related delays at the moment.

Your first date at about a two weeks sounds about right, not their fault if you can't be there. Can't you twist someone's arm to be there for the appointment in your place?

Soldato
Just got the keys to a new flat - doesn't offer VM so have to look at BT. Going for Infinity, which keeps advertising a "self install" but when I get to checkout it seems I actually need an engineer to connect the phone line (even though there's multiple phone sockets around the flat and as there's only ADSL services I find it very hard to believe a phone line has been physically disconnected)!

The earliest I can get is Fri 13th but I can't get time off for a month so the earliest I can choose is 23rd Oct. So I'll buy the contract now but not get broadband for a month. That's disgusting and I haven't even placed an order yet! Great start, BT; I'm beyond annoyed. :mad:

Mine said this back in the day (2015) also a flat.

Nobody ever came round though, glad I didn't book a day off or get the other half to wait around.

Soldato
I just signed up with Plusnet and the earliest they could give me was the 24th.. it sucks, but we're at the behest of OpenReach.

Soldato
Mine said this back in the day (2015) also a flat.

Nobody ever came round though, glad I didn't book a day off or get the other half to wait around.

When I moved into my flat in Aberdeen in 2015, an engineer had to visit just to change the faceplate and check it was all live. The building had recently been refurbed though so that's probably why.

I moved into my current flat about 5 weeks ago, no engineer visit so I assume it was all done at the cabinet or exchange or whatever. I was only without internet for a week, which gave me time to get the unpacking done!

Man of Honour
Years ago, my sync speed dropped from 65 ish to 45 overnight.

A month or so ago BT tidied some stuff up, got it to 52. I was happy with that.

Yesterday I was mucking about on my Vigor 130 and did the following on it:

Code:
vdsl snr -50

And now it's syncing at 72.

If I put it back to normal it drops to 52.

If I use an ECI modem, it drops to 52.

What's going on lol?

Not complaining to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom