BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I'm not sure if you're aware, but your connection has been banded, as shown by your rates ending in exactly 99 and 9999. The DLM bands your profile when it detects a lot of errors, and its response is to artificially limit your speed until the connection is stable (hence the high Line Attenuation, its raised that to drop your speed and improve the signal quality). So while the line is capable of 50173 (so the wiring is ok now, more or less), you have been locked down at 39999. The errors may have been caused by dodgy wiring, or a faulty router, or even a car hitting your fibre cabinet, it happens ;)

The speeds will gradually creep up, and the longer it detects your connection is stable the better, so just leave the router switched on, don't reset, restart or power it down. It may take days, or even weeks, but eventually, your speeds should reach to around the Max Rate.

It's only 3 years old too. Sadly beyond the 2 years guarantee for non-structural flaws. The internet feels a lot more stable and snappy since I've faffed around with the wiring anyway. Still not dropped and still no errors despite moving it onto the extension wiring.

awWG4aT.png

Think the cabinet is at the end of our road. Probably less than 100 yards.

Associate
Anyone had problems when switching from sky to BT for fibre and telephone.

suppose to have been switched over on 13th June and still no services. no one has contacted me from BT despite problems and Im calling daily only to be told one thing and then nothing happens.
they say they had a split order now for landline first and then broadband added later so it should work but ive been told the same before and it somehow fails. This company is so frustrating regretting
switching.

Soldato
Who are you with then @ChrisD. ?

Vodafone want me to agree to a new 18 month contract when we move house so I think I’ll change provider and take any cashback to pay off Vodafone’s ETF.

Was going to go back to BT as they were good for me until I left in November. Had assumed Vodafone would just be the same but we've really suffered

Man of Honour
Who are you with then @ChrisD. ?

Vodafone want me to agree to a new 18 month contract when we move house so I think I’ll change provider and take any cashback to pay off Vodafone’s ETF.

Was going to go back to BT as they were good for me until I left in November. Had assumed Vodafone would just be the same but we've really suffered
I’m with PlusNet. Very happy with them!

Let me know if you choose them as they do a referral system.

Associate
I can honestly say BT were the worst company I've sent had the misfortune to deal with. I had fibre broadband, landline and Sims with them and the actual products were I have to say rock solid, but their billing and customer services were like nothing I've ever experienced before and I'm 48 years old! From nin turning up multiple times for installation days, to charging me for products I didn't have, to down rights lies by customer service representative, the list is too long to mention. I swore I will never ever use them again.

Soldato
I can honestly say BT were the worst company I've sent had the misfortune to deal with. I had fibre broadband, landline and Sims with them and the actual products were I have to say rock solid, but their billing and customer services were like nothing I've ever experienced before and I'm 48 years old! From nin turning up multiple times for installation days, to charging me for products I didn't have, to down rights lies by customer service representative, the list is too long to mention. I swore I will never ever use them again.

My experience is the exact opposite. Never had any problems with BT. Always had my phone line with BT & ISPs with whomever gave the better deal. I've now changed everything to TalkTalk because they gave me a better offer.

Man of Honour
My infinity keeps losing connection when the temps are above 28-29c. It only happens randomly though and comes back after about a minute, until it invariably goes again. Been told I can have an engineer come but if he doesn't find any issue I have to cough up £120 odd. Seems a bit unfair when it's a fault.

Feeling a bit stuck now though as I think it's an issue with the line and it would therefore happen whoever I go with :(

Soldato
My infinity keeps losing connection when the temps are above 28-29c. It only happens randomly though and comes back after about a minute, until it invariably goes again. Been told I can have an engineer come but if he doesn't find any issue I have to cough up £120 odd. Seems a bit unfair when it's a fault.

Feeling a bit stuck now though as I think it's an issue with the line and it would therefore happen whoever I go with :(

If it's an issue with the line Open Reach engineer will fix that.

As for the router getting too hot.... I think it's too hard to say if that's the issue. It's more likely not the problem so an engineer visit should be worth it.

My router is in my loft conversion and it is BOILING up here. And I don't have any heat issues.

Also if he says he cant find anything wrong you could just argue it's a faulty router.

Man of Honour
Yeah it's nothing silly like router overheating. They did agree to send a replacement hub so I'll try it anyway.

Pproblem is I would need to demonstrate the fault to an engineer and it doesn't happen on cue. Doubt BT would replace the cable from the post just because I say it's faulty.

Man of Honour
My experience is the exact opposite. Never had any problems with BT. Always had my phone line with BT & ISPs with whomever gave the better deal. I've now changed everything to TalkTalk because they gave me a better offer.

Problem is with BT when it works (and most of the time it works) it just works - when you do have problems everything goes to complete hell and you seem to go back and forth between one brick wall and another more often than not until you get someone at executive level to intervene :( I've had like 99% rock solid service from BT over the last ~20 years or so of using them for internet but that 1% when it hasn't been rock solid have been an absolute nightmare.

Caporegime
The true measure of a company isn't how they perform when everything is working, it's how they perform when it's not. BT are great when it's working, but awful when it's not.

Associate
Just had an email from BT advising me that my infinity package is going up by £2.50, and I’m free to leave within 30 days.

I really want to leave BT as I’ve had nothing but grief with them, however, as the cabinet where I live is massively oversubscribed, I’m worried that if I leave BT for another supplier I’ll lose my spot in the cabinet and be stuck with regular broadband, or worse - nothing at all.

If I switch supplier, to say, Plusnet - does anyone know if I keep my existing spot in the cabinet, thus not lose my fibre? I’ve asked suppliers (including BT) in the past but can never get a straight answer.

Caporegime
Just had an email from BT advising me that my infinity package is going up by £2.50, and I’m free to leave within 30 days.

I really want to leave BT as I’ve had nothing but grief with them, however, as the cabinet where I live is massively oversubscribed, I’m worried that if I leave BT for another supplier I’ll lose my spot in the cabinet and be stuck with regular broadband, or worse - nothing at all.

If I switch supplier, to say, Plusnet - does anyone know if I keep my existing spot in the cabinet, thus not lose my fibre? I’ve asked suppliers (including BT) in the past but can never get a straight answer.
If a provider does a basic house number and postcode search then it'll show no availability. If, however, they do a proper search using your BT number it should identify that you have FTTC already and it should allow a transfer without losing your fibre service.

Associate
If a provider does a basic house number and postcode search then it'll show no availability. If, however, they do a proper search using your BT number it should identify that you have FTTC already and it should allow a transfer without losing your fibre service.
Okay thanks, guess I’ll just have to get it in writing from the provider... we waited circa 18 months to get BB, hence my reluctance to do anything that may take it away again!

TJM

TJM

Associate
Your line should be good enough for G.fast (if/when it's rolled out in your area), which is something at least.

Back
Top Bottom