BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I'm joining the copper line broadband crew. Engineer came yesterday, today is my BB go live date. Probably nothing new to most but I love how neat my install is;

I have the same switch after a recent install. Bit bulky but hey, whatever works. Same modem I use too. Did they give you that as part of the install?

Soldato
I have the same switch after a recent install. Bit bulky but hey, whatever works. Same modem I use too. Did they give you that as part of the install?

I had to source my kit from the auction site. Had a nightmare getting a 3B version out of the company after they sent me a v1. My line now seems to be in sync but not authenticating, guess it's not been activated yet.

Soldato
It's years since Openreach supplied modems with VDSL connections.

Your install could be even neater if you’d used the internal IDC terminals instead of plugging into the front. You'd probably have to be able to crimp a plug on to do it.

It’s a shame that PoE extractor is black. Whose injector/extractor kit is it?

Man of Honour
I have asked BT Openreach why new build houses houses 20 foot from mine can get FTTP but mine can't. One of their senior engineers has emailed me and is looking into it. I know it'll probably end up going nowhere but I thought I would ask.

Soldato
Your install could be even neater if you’d used the internal IDC terminals instead of plugging into the front. You'd probably have to be able to crimp a plug on to do it.
It’s a shame that PoE extractor is black. Whose injector/extractor kit is it?

It's an Anvision one from Amazon. I thought about going in directly but previously I had a master socket problem so thought it best to stay "out of it" as the master socket on there was last tested and installed by BT themselves. The cable is one of the Tandy cat5e RJ11 super amazing, twisted pair, best DSL cable ever 50cm jobs (recommended from this forum I believe) so it is as minimal as possible whilst remaining modular enough for fault finding.

The LAN2 is powering it from a Unifi 8port 150w and LAN1 is patched back to my main router, nothing too fancy. Oddly, the modem has come into sync and I've lost the ability to get to LAN2, it's showing powered up and rightly so it is but no LAN connectivity. Odd but I can live without DSL stats for the time being.

Just that awkward wait now as the phone line has been activated but Plusnet haven't yet completed the order (so no ppp).

Man of Honour
I have asked BT Openreach why new build houses houses 20 foot from mine can get FTTP but mine can't. One of their senior engineers has emailed me and is looking into it. I know it'll probably end up going nowhere but I thought I would ask.
Well, this is the latest news I have. Fingers crossed!

Hi Chris,

By way of an introduction, I work for Andrew Whale, our Chief Engineer for Openreach;. Clive has asked Andy and team to look into your email.

I’ve spoken to our regional team and they confirm that there isn’t a plan currently to cover your property with a fibre to the premise solution, however, I have asked one of my colleagues to survey and cost equivalently to do this.

Once I have this I will seek financial approval and let you have the outcome.

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me directly.

Kind Regards,

Sharon

Soldato
Oddly, the modem has come into sync and I've lost the ability to get to LAN2, it's showing powered up and rightly so it is but no LAN connectivity. Odd but I can live without DSL stats for the time being.

Got to the bottom of this, turns out the BT engineer had managed to unplug LAN2 then put the cable back but not seated all the way so it wasn't connecting. Now getting stats, Syncing 67/20 with a line rate of 60/20 which I'll happily live with, plus that's only the first few hours, DLM has another 9 and a half days.

Soldato
Just that awkward wait now as the phone line has been activated but Plusnet haven't yet completed the order (so no ppp).

This might be an obvious answer. But do you have a router? The H612 is used as a modem, then you connect your router. It's the router that does all the connecting to the isp stuff.

Soldato
This might be an obvious answer. But do you have a router? The H612 is used as a modem, then you connect your router. It's the router that does all the connecting to the isp stuff.
Yes. I have an RB3011 which is using the connection to the HG612 as my primary and now my old line is the secondary.

It activated yesterday (11 hours late) but is up and running and I’m happily now able to play packet loss free.

Associate
Mhmmm I've moved into a flat where there's 3 Telephone points, 2 in bedrooms and one in a living room - all look like extension points - none labelled master/have tester points.

Plug into any of them and hope for the best?

Soldato
Rebooted my router yesterday to enable a feature and the sync speed dropped from 74 to 71 Mb/s, the first time I've ever seen it drop that much. SnR is 6.4 dB up and down, which I'm pretty sure was not the case for the down path before. Kinda weird.

Associate
Booked my Ultrafast 2 Plus service. Moving house on the 29th, service will be live on the 29th and the router is being delivered on the 29th. Also got a BT engineer coming round on the 2nd July to install some ethernet ports. Win :)

Back
Top Bottom