BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Are these line stats any good? I've just switched from the Smart Hub to a TP Link VR400 as I wanted more control over my connection as well as being able to wall mount it, but my connection doesn't seem great. It wasn't great with the SH either.

klw785O.png

Caporegime
Your upstream is pretty terrible. Try connecting into the test socket and then waiting for DLM to drop the SnR margin targets.

Soldato
Just removed the faceplate and connected to the test socket, will see how it is... but should my wiring look like this? I have a couple of phone sockets in other rooms of the flat, but I've never tested them... I'm guessing they were never wired in to begin with? And I was effectively always just using the test socket?

Yvb3KdP.jpg

Soldato
@MichaelAwkward your phone socket isn't even wired up to the filtered faceplate - or am I missing something? You should have 2 and 5 connected.

I would also recommend getting the new pre-filtered NTE5C master socket link here may help keep the connection clean :) (and wire it into it!) Really easy to do and fit yourself.

Soldato
Thanks - yep, I've only come to test the extension socket in my flat now that I've changed my router to one that I can wall mount. This explains why it wasn't working. I've got an IDC punch tool coming tomorrow so I can get my extension socket working. It looks like my crappy line stats are down to BT.

Soldato
I think I know why the extension wire wasn't connected, there's barely enough wire coming out to get them in with an IDC tool. It looks like they've squirted expanding foam into the wiring duct too so I couldn't pull it out further. Bizarre. Managed it eventually, now got my router mounted on the wall in the middle of the flat and stats are:

yYVGL3p.png

Will see how stable it is. Hasn't dropped yet. Surprised that the number of errors has dropped to zero and my max upstream rate has increased massively.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I know why the extension wire wasn't connected, there's barely enough wire coming out to get them in with an IDC tool. It looks like they've squirted expanding foam into the wiring duct too so I couldn't pull it out further. Bizarre. Managed it eventually, now got my router mounted on the wall in the middle of the flat and stats are:

yYVGL3p.png

Will see how stable it is. Hasn't dropped yet. Surprised that the number of errors has dropped to zero and my max upstream rate has increased massively.

Seems like the electricians and builders have done a poor job with the internal wiring! Do you know roughly how far away your FTTC cabinet is?

Soldato
It's only 3 years old too. Sadly beyond the 2 years guarantee for non-structural flaws. The internet feels a lot more stable and snappy since I've faffed around with the wiring anyway. Still not dropped and still no errors despite moving it onto the extension wiring.

awWG4aT.png

Think the cabinet is at the end of our road. Probably less than 100 yards.

Soldato
If you cabinet really is that close then something is very broken.

Have you reported a fault?

Have you checked that the line is quiet? People who don't have phones plugged in often seem to miss this basic step.

Soldato
Yeah, a couple of months ago when my connection first deteriorated we had an engineer visit and ran through the plethora of tests.

It never really improved though, just went from dropping constantly to dropping every so often and being slow. I suspect my line would now benefit from a DLM reset. How long do they take? 14 days?

Soldato
Yeah, a couple of months ago when my connection first deteriorated we had an engineer visit and ran through the plethora of tests.

It never really improved though, just went from dropping constantly to dropping every so often and being slow. I suspect my line would now benefit from a DLM reset. How long do they take? 14 days?

If your talking about the thing I think your talking about mine took 3 days.

Soldato
If you cabinet really is that close then something is very broken.

Have you reported a fault?

Have you checked that the line is quiet? People who don't have phones plugged in often seem to miss this basic step.

I think you need to be pushing for a new line to be installed, preferably avoiding all the internal wiring installed when the property was built!

Soldato
I'm right next to one of the areas in this list.....argh!

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-uk-areas-for-g-fast-ultrafast-broadband.html

Openreach (BT) has announced that a further 59 locations across the United Kingdom will be the next to benefit from their on-going deployment of 330Mbps capable hybrid fibre G.fast (ITU G.9700/9701) broadband technology, which aim to cover 10 million homes and businesses by the end of 2020.

The 59 New G.fast Locations (June 2018 Update)

Aberdeen Denburn, Acocks Green, Altrincham, Aylesbury, Bedford, Birmingham Central, Bishops Stortford, Boscombe, Bowes Park, Bury St. Edmunds, Bury, Byfleet, Cardiff, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Chester, Cosham, Didsbury, Erdington, Gipsy Hill, Guildford, Hampton, Harlow, Harrogate, Headingley, Heywood, Kingston, Lancaster, Leamington Spa, Leeds, Llantrisant, Maidstone, Market Harborough, Mile End, Morley, Narborough, North Finchley, Paignton, Plymouth, Rugby, Shipley, Slough, South Kensington, Southampton, Southend Town, St Albans, Stockton Heath, Swadlincote, Tamworth, Taunton, Telford Wellington, Tunbridge Wells, Walthamstow, Weston Super Mare, Windsor, Wolverhampton, Woodhouse (Berkshire), Woodley, York.

Soldato
When did BT whack the price up so much? Looked at the 76mbs package about 6 weeks ago and i'm sure it was £40/m, now it's £55.

I know you get £120 rewards card and topcashback discounts but it's a hell of a high price compared to others around the £30 mark.

Soldato
So all the services are the same right, just resold open reach stuff? I'm on BT, if I was to jump to vodafone for example when the rises come in, it's just the same stuff. Get full sync on BT and no speed issues, should be the same if I jump? Is the phone side open reach as well? Like the call blocking feature bt have, vodafone have it as well, is that just a resold openreach service? or their own thing, but still basically the same?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom