BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Whats a good replacement for a bt homehub 5, wireless is shockingly bad. i've seen asus ones for arouind £200 anything for closer to the £100 mark that'll do the trick. I dont have the bt router, mine goes from wall straight into the homehub 5 with the built in vsdl.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont know anything about routers but when my parents found their wifi a bit rubbish with BT they installed a couple of powerline wifi extenders and now they get hi speed all over their house, they have brick walls through out their house so the wifi just couldnt get through them.

Soldato
Whats a good replacement for a bt homehub 5, wireless is shockingly bad. i've seen asus ones for arouind £200 anything for closer to the £100 mark that'll do the trick. I dont have the bt router, mine goes from wall straight into the homehub 5 with the built in vsdl.
I replaced mine with a TP-Link Archer VR900. It's generally great but is a bit old now and I'm sure there are newer versions with more features. There are plenty with built-in VDSL2 modems now but as others said, you can continue to use your Home Hub as just a modem if you want.

Associate
I did look at sticking some ubiquiti ap in, but thats a little prices and my house is pretty small so a tad overkill. I've got a tp link extender in my rainforest basket. Will try find somewhere to plug one of them in and see hopw it gets on for now. Otherwise something like a ac1900 or vr900 might be a good shout.

Soldato
I did look at sticking some ubiquiti ap in, but thats a little prices and my house is pretty small so a tad overkill. I've got a tp link extender in my rainforest basket. Will try find somewhere to plug one of them in and see hopw it gets on for now. Otherwise something like a ac1900 or vr900 might be a good shout.

It may seem overkill but I would say it’s probably the single best piece of tech that I have ever bought, because it just works so bloody well. I have never had to fiddle with it in the 2 years I have had it and my WiFi is amazing all over the house. Get the ubiquiti.

Associate
So I finally exchanged on my house yesterday (new build).

I've been monitoring their BB deals as Openreach have done the wiring into the house and entering the postcode it's confirmed I can received fibre from BT and about 6 other providers into the house.

Now when I've previously entered the postcode, it pings up saying "congrats you can get ultrafast broadband blah blah blah" and then gave me the 145/300mb options to choose from.

However, when I went to do the check last night all excited that I could finally get it ordered, it pinged up saying "Sorry, we can’t find results for your address at the moment. We’re updating our systems and we hope this will be fixed soon."

Is there any reason why BT would stop showing choices to me now when there was no issue a week/10 days ago...?

Soldato
Just ordered g.fast (est 295/45), stuck with BT as mid contract, I run an ALIX APU2C with pfsense for VPN duties and i’m preparing to upgrade that as it won’t mange 300mbit of VPN (should have just built or virtualised in the first place), but it’s just dawned on me that BT will send me one of the ungodly Hubs rather than a MT992. I suspect the answer is no, but can the monstrosity be set to modem only mode? If not what other options exist? Double NAT isn’t something i’m going to live with, neither is a BT hub beyond the time it takes the installer to shut the front door!

Associate
Just ordered g.fast (est 295/45), stuck with BT as mid contract, I run an ALIX APU2C with pfsense for VPN duties and i’m preparing to upgrade that as it won’t mange 300mbit of VPN (should have just built or virtualised in the first place), but it’s just dawned on me that BT will send me one of the ungodly Hubs rather than a MT992. I suspect the answer is no, but can the monstrosity be set to modem only mode? If not what other options exist? Double NAT isn’t something i’m going to live with, neither is a BT hub beyond the time it takes the installer to shut the front door!

how close are you to your cabinet? the gfast est are a tad optimistic.
I was estimated 270 / 45 and can only get 192 / 37 (300m line length)

Soldato
how close are you to your cabinet? the gfast est are a tad optimistic.
I was estimated 270 / 45 and can only get 192 / 37 (300m line length)

Not really what I was asking, but I could probably hit the exchange building if I threw a rock from my back garden, the cab is closer - it’ll be under 100 meters as the crow flys.

Last edited:
Soldato
No setting for modem only on the ultrafast hub afaik.

Yea, I figured as much, thanks for confirming.

The Openreach G.fast product should have a modem allocated to it - just ask the person who turns up if you can have it.

I thought BT threw hubs at everyone now? 3rd party I expect an MT992 to be available, i'll stock up on bacon and hope for the best ;)

Back
Top Bottom