BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I have had G.fast installed a few days ago and the engineer just dropped the Mt992 modem at my house, but I dont know if I need to pull a username / password out of the superhub2 to input into the modem, or if it will just work out of the box? Has anyone tried? Im still in the 10 days training period so don't want to turn it off too many times :confused: although im getting 286Mb/s so far :) well outside of pfsense and my VPN :( but inside it is limited to 100mb per thread/stream.. not sure why yet. the CPU has more than enough power for it.

Associate
Looking to jump to BT's fibre soon, they're the only ones that offer fibre in my area, which is a bit annoying because their prices are a bit higher than others.

My current broadband speed is awful, 14mb/s down, 0.7mb/s up, can't even stream at all like that.

Caporegime
BT won’t be the only people that offer fibre (presuming FTTP), they’re just the most popular.

Bear in mind you can still take an 80/20 service with FTTP - you don’t have to be forced into a 300Mbps service if price is important.

Associate
Out the blue my Home hub 5 type a got an update last tonight after about 2 years. Downloaded the update at 9pm(4th march) last night then the router restarted at 12.20am and installed firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.264.
I cannot find anything about what has changed but I'm sure more with come out soon.
BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 | Last updated 04/03/19

Soldato
So my exchange is on the list of exchanges that say it's accepting orders from 28/2, but when I go to the bt ultrafast broadband checker it says it's not available in my area? Or is ultrafast FTTP?

How do I order G.Fast?

Last edited:
Soldato
So my exchange is on the list of exchanges that say it's accepting orders from 28/2, but when I go to the bt ultrafast broadband checker it says it's not available in my area? Or is ultrafast FTTP?

How do I order G.Fast?
They've got to upgrade the equipment local to you.

You've then got to be close enough to that equipment.

Your exchange accepting orders doesn't guarantee it'll ever be available at your address.

What does the BT availability checker tell you? https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Soldato
Given your available VDSL speeds your line is much longer than 40 meters.

If G.fast was available your results above would show it. All you can do is keep checking and hope for the best.

Man of Honour
Given your available VDSL speeds your line is much longer than 40 meters.

Yeah - mine is 150m IIRC and I get pretty much full 80/20 though these days a bit of variance I'm guessing due to crosstalk, etc. from higher number of users so sometimes I have to reconnect or it drops to 67Mbit.

TJM

TJM

Associate
The line to the cabinet is most likely 500m or more. G.Fast’s range is far more limited so unfortunately you won’t get it even if your cabinet is upgraded.

Associate
In my experience if you’re not getting 80/20 then you won’t get Gfast. Even then it’s not guaranteed.

That surely isn't accurate, my old place was around 20 meters from the cabinet and I only got around 74mbps.

So if it wouldn't work for me it wouldn't work for hardly anyone.

Soldato
That surely isn't accurate, my old place was around 20 meters from the cabinet and I only got around 74mbps.
Either the cable route was extremely indirect, you weren’t connected to that cabinet, or there was a problem with the cable (aluminium?).

The cabinet I’m connected to isn’t the closest as the crow flies. If BT hadn’t told me I’d never have known.

Soldato

So if it wouldn't work for me it wouldn't work for hardly anyone.

Why wouldn’t it be accurate? Look at the published data on line length and drop off, that’s why the g.fast rollout has been reduced and FTTP is taking priority. I achieved 80/20 easily but at present can only pull a max of 240/40 on g.fast (irony: BT currently tell me I can’t get that). I have some wiring to change that will improve that and knock a good 10-15m and an additional junction box off the line, even then I doubt i’ll get a massive leap in sync. Also don’t mistake LOS with cable route - just because a cab is situated near you, doesn’t dictate that’s the one that supplies you.

Soldato
Also don’t mistake LOS with cable route.

Very important folks understand this. While my cable is connected to the cab nearest me 50m in front of my house, it gets to my master socket by having a wander down the next lane and back before going down the road behind my house and then up on a pole and in via the back garden, probably meaning I'm 200m 'from my cabinet'. Oh and I have aluminium in the mix too according to the BTOR engineers who have visited over the years. :(

Associate
Why wouldn’t it be accurate? Look at the published data on line length and drop off, that’s why the g.fast rollout has been reduced and FTTP is taking priority. I achieved 80/20 easily but at present can only pull a max of 240/40 on g.fast (irony: BT currently tell me I can’t get that). I have some wiring to change that will improve that and knock a good 10-15m and an additional junction box off the line, even then I doubt i’ll get a massive leap in sync. Also don’t mistake LOS with cable route - just because a cab is situated near you, doesn’t dictate that’s the one that supplies you.

I'd be OK with 240. Heck 140 would be fine. I never expected you would hit 300.

Soldato
I'd be OK with 240. Heck 140 would be fine. I never expected you would hit 300.

You say that, but I reckon I could easily go back to 20Mbit and i’d barely notice with the use of a VPS and the pittance they cost. As was the case with the FTTC estimates in the beginning it can be slightly optimistic, estimates suggest I should pull 261-294 with handback at 221, with the work I have planned I hope to scrape in on the lower end of that, ironically the exchange and other cab’s are closer to me than my cab, such is life.

Back
Top Bottom