BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Unfortunately I’m not anywhere near a 5G rollout, speaking about mobile networks I have been looking at those MikroTik Ltap LTE6 devices to replaced the B525.

Edit:

So I had a reply this morning "Line is testing ok, no fault found. Latency looks nice and low." and "The sync speed maybe right although at the low end of estimates. Different modem/router may yield different results. The tests show retransmissions are low indicating the line is relatively low on noise. It’s looks stable."

I'm confused as its currently 10Mb+ below the predicted range, as my low should be 63.8Mb and its currently on 49.1Mb

One further update from them about the DSL Check results:

"That may or may not be accurate. Engineers are only doing external work and emergency cases at the moment, so would be pointless raising the issue in current climate. Come back to us when it’s calmed down."

Granted the current climate is not good at the moment, but to me that comment comes across as a little rude. So not too impressed at the moment and I wouldn't recommend them.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not the "superfast" service, but if your sync speed isn't higher than 40 or 50mbit (I can't remember) then it won't matter.

Plusnet's 18 month contract is definitely more appealing than Vodafone's 24 though!

Ah yeah, I sync at like 32mb down do pointless going higher. A very good deal from Voda if you can get all the speed out of it for sure.

Soldato
Aaaaah. Plusnet works out at £18.83 effective montly cost with the £75 cashback :)

I've not looked at the specific T&C's, but Vodafone appears to have £85 Quidco cash back and a £100 Amazon voucher making it potentially £15.28/m which is stupidly cheap for an 80/20 FTTC service.

Associate
9198148382.png

looks like the upload cap of 30/50 has been fixed, now getting 100

also, why is speedtest showing my nearest location than my actual location ( Manchester )

I also get better speeds when speedtesting sheffield than any of local servers haha

Associate
Having recently been switched over to the 1Gig service I have found very few things that will max out the connection which is to be expected.

I don't know if this is an issue with the BT Smart Hub 2 (or the ONT box) but have found if I'm downloading at top speed for a prolonged period time the internet will just completely cut out and reset and take a few minutes to come back up.

I'm wondering if it worth replacing the Smart Hub 2 with something that is a bit more powerful? Any recommendations? Rough budget would be around £150.

Otherwise the difference when I was on 300/50 is not much with general web browsing but downloading is absolutely night and day.

Back
Top Bottom