BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

RSR

RSR

Soldato
If anyone has FTTP installed, what are the dimensions of the GPON unit they install. Also, how thick is the FTTP cable they run into the property?

As i am doing some prep work for a FTTPoD install once they are up and running again.

Soldato
Only seem to max out at around 500Mbps, tried downloading two or three at once and won't go any faster.

I found this site which gives you test files larger than 10GB to download to get a more accurate reading...

http://speedtest.tele2.net/

I downloaded a 100GB test file and got this...

2871wmc.png

105MB/sec is 840 mbit/s

My speed has increased in the last few hours as earlier on I was getting this...

2Y3hYk8.png

62.8MB/sec is 502.4 mbit/s

I've found out my ISPs new standard speed is 500 mbit/s but atm I'm on 1 gigabit temporarily whilst this coronavirus is going on, because more people working from home.

Caporegime
If anyone has FTTP installed, what are the dimensions of the GPON unit they install. Also, how thick is the FTTP cable they run into the property?

As i am doing some prep work for a FTTPoD install once they are up and running again.

ONT dimensions are specified in https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-developers/guides-and-handbooks/oct-2019-update/1+1 ONT factsheet V2 web.pdf

Fibre cable is very thin but they use connectorised fibre now so any holes you drill need to be able to have an SC fibre connector pass through them. Openreach specify 12mm:

https://www.openreach.com/content/d...oks/oct-2019-update/Fibre handbook V9 web.pdf

RSR

RSR

Soldato

That's pretty helpful as a i've run 20mm conduit, to the place I want it installed.

My google-fu was a bit rubbish on this one.

Soldato
Openreach are working quickly on outdoor FTTP work despite COVID 19, they have decided to try and cut into the current duct as close to the house as possible which means pulling up part of my drive rather than digging the soft ground from the manhole cover. My front garden is pretty big must be a 40m ish run but still thought it would be cheaper digging a trench in soft ground than pulling up a section of mono blocked drive for a few meters. Not fussed either way they recon it will be done within a couple of weeks. The install engineer has been moved out to 3rd of June :( but if I read the new compensation rules correctly I should get £5 per day for the delay in activation from the agreed 22/04 that with the tracked cashback will knock me under £50 a month.

Caporegime
Openreach are working quickly on outdoor FTTP work despite COVID 19, they have decided to try and cut into the current duct as close to the house as possible which means pulling up part of my drive rather than digging the soft ground from the manhole cover. My front garden is pretty big must be a 40m ish run but still thought it would be cheaper digging a trench in soft ground than pulling up a section of mono blocked drive for a few meters. Not fussed either way they recon it will be done within a couple of weeks. The install engineer has been moved out to 3rd of June :( but if I read the new compensation rules correctly I should get £5 per day for the delay in activation from the agreed 22/04 that with the tracked cashback will knock me under £50 a month.

Not 100% sure on the delayed activation compensation rules but Openreach may try to claim the Covid-19 situation as a Matter beyond our reasonable control (MBORC) and try to wiggle out of it.

Soldato
Not 100% sure on the delayed activation compensation rules but Openreach may try to claim the Covid-19 situation as a Matter beyond our reasonable control (MBORC) and try to wiggle out of it.

You are correct

Update 25 March 2020 – the coronavirus
This is an unprecedented time for our country, and keeping communications going across the UK has never been more important. Broadband and landline services will play a vital role as we all adapt the way we live and communicate in the wake of the coronavirus.

Given the unique circumstances presented by the coronavirus, Ofcom’s view is that it would be legitimate for providers not to pay automatic compensation just as if the civil emergencies exception in the Automatic Compensation Scheme applies. Where signatories do claim this exception applies, we expect them to clearly communicate the reasons why to their customers, and continue to act in their customers' best interests.

Soldato
Looks like what ever 3rd party is going to do the dig just came out for a look at the job might be quicker than expected. 2 of my neighbours are getting FTTP installed surprisingly each house got a different engineer today so we have had 3 Openreach engineers in the street this morning then a 4th came out to trace the current ducts.

Soldato
Install day...maybe. Still shows in track in BT user area, i've received multiple texts and emails to tell me the engineer is due tomorrow. Got an automated call last night from BT as a reminder the engineer is coming this morning. Then, just now, another email to tell me my engineer "Robert" should be here within the allotted time.

Let's see what happens by 1PM :)

Soldato
Install day...maybe. Still shows in track in BT user area, i've received multiple texts and emails to tell me the engineer is due tomorrow. Got an automated call last night from BT as a reminder the engineer is coming this morning. Then, just now, another email to tell me my engineer "Robert" should be here within the allotted time.

Let's see what happens by 1PM :)

So that's a nope, they're doing the exterior work and someone will be at a later date when they're allowed to enter premises. They can't guarantee my existing connection won't go off though, even though already provided by BT. Been waiting on the phone to them 45 minutes so far to clarify where I stand.

Soldato
So that's a nope, they're doing the exterior work and someone will be at a later date when they're allowed to enter premises. They can't guarantee my existing connection won't go off though, even though already provided by BT. Been waiting on the phone to them 45 minutes so far to clarify where I stand.

I'm going to ask if I drill the hole out and put in the fibre cable if they will let me plug in the ONT and mount it. It's getting installed in our vestibule so they can see it from the front door without coming in. Doubt they will agree but you never know

Soldato
Won’t it be a connectorised fibre connection? Unless you already have a customer splice point? If so they’ll pass the fibre through the wall and mechanically splice the connector on the end to go into the ONT.

if you have a CSP, do they still thermally splice or is it just mechanical splicing now a days?

our fibre connector was mechanically spliced inside the house, it was the openreach engineers first solo install after his training and he struggled at first.

Caporegime
I reckon they will be OK with it. Drill the hole, push the fibre cable through the wall and then hang it back out the window so they can plug it into the ONT and complete the install.

Caporegime
Wear gloves if you have them so the tech can feel confident that when you handle the cable / ONT / power supply you aren't passing germs around, I can't see why they'd object to setting it up on the ground outside and then you can wall mount it once they are done and coil the cable up.

Back
Top Bottom