BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Install day...maybe. Still shows in track in BT user area, i've received multiple texts and emails to tell me the engineer is due tomorrow. Got an automated call last night from BT as a reminder the engineer is coming this morning. Then, just now, another email to tell me my engineer "Robert" should be here within the allotted time.

Let's see what happens by 1PM :)

Original install never went ahead for obvious reasons at start of April, got re-scheduled for end of June,

I got a call the other day to say i'll be getting my install next week. Asked loads of questions about people in the house, covid, can they work uninterrupted, they'll wear full PPE and wipe everything down as they go, etc, etc

So a little over a week to a fairly decent speed at last.

Caporegime
I very much doubt that, once you take into account the costs of moving, getting your next house to the point where you are happy with it, and stamp duty.

Permabanned
Your willing to pay around £11k for faster internet?
Madness. Be cheaper to move house.

20 down 3 up is painfully slow for a household of five. FTTP means that I can bin off the two broadband and telephone packages I have (one for home, one for office use) and bin off my virtual office provider. Also as I run my business from my home, it's a business expense and therefore tax relievable. Doing some fag packet maths, on the basis of £11k the net cost after the voucher and tax relief is closer to just over £5k and represents a small monthly saving on the other stuff.

Plus it adds to the property value as it'll be one of the only places around here with proper FTTP!

Caporegime
20 down 3 up is painfully slow for a household of five. FTTP means that I can bin off the two broadband and telephone packages I have (one for home, one for office use) and bin off my virtual office provider. Also as I run my business from my home, it's a business expense and therefore tax relievable. Doing some fag packet maths, on the basis of £11k the net cost after the voucher and tax relief is closer to just over £5k and represents a small monthly saving on the other stuff.

Plus it adds to the property value as it'll be one of the only places around here with proper FTTP!

With that additional information you've provided it looks a lot more reasonable if you can get it for around £5k.

Caporegime
I'd pay £5k as a one-off to get FTTP I think, but I would be far less eager to pay double that, VAT on top, and then be locked into a £100+ tariff for a year. You run the numbers and you can get a leased line for less, though that then comes without the option to just get a broadband tariff at a later date.

Permabanned
What voucher scheme is that? I thought the gigabit scheme closed.

I got my voucher about a week before the scheme closed (pure dumb luck) and as a business it's for up to £2,500 excluding VAT.

I had looked at a leased line, but as you say, the cost is in the tail at the end of the 12 months. I think the cheapest quotes I got were coming out at something like £400p/m. I had also looked at bonded lines but it didn't really work out all that much cheaper over the long term.

Soldato
Had the video to watch and reply that I watched it.

Just curious but what does the handover entail? Says they can do it via phone or WhatsApp.

Soldato
Had the video to watch and reply that I watched it.

Just curious but what does the handover entail? Says they can do it via phone or WhatsApp.

When they did mine it was a normal install bar the wiping down at the end. He wasn't wearing a mask and didn't ask any questions relating to COVID19 hand over was face to face but he did it a couple of meters from the front door.

Soldato
Well what is handover?

They checked you can connect a device to the hub and it can access the internet successfully.

He also explained what the ONT was and that the phone would still be connected to my old copper line when it’s transferred from Vodafone. This was delayed as they cancelled the transfer when the install was knocked back so I’ve still got an active Vodaphone FTTC line/phone until the 11/06 and the BT FTTP.

Soldato
They checked you can connect a device to the hub and it can access the internet successfully.

He also explained what the ONT was and that the phone would still be connected to my old copper line when it’s transferred from Vodafone. This was delayed as they cancelled the transfer when the install was knocked back so I’ve still got an active Vodaphone FTTC line/phone until the 11/06 and the BT FTTP.

Thanks for clearing that up.
I'm getting excited now, is that weird. I know im only going for the slowest 150Mbps but thats double what i have now, reliable get 74Mbps through FTTC.

Anyone that has had FTTP have you left your old master socket alone or have you got rid of it. Only time i could see use needing it is if for some reason you went back to FTTC.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Here is my quote from BT Openreach for a FTTPoD, install.

The installation costs for this order are below and confirmed on the attached quote.

Originally, Openreach estimated the build charge at £10,700.00 + VAT.

The confirmed build charge is £9,066.00 + VAT.

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £900.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:

Labour

£5,122.00

Contract Labour

£0.00

Civils

£750.00

Stores

£3,849.00

BT Connection Charge

£495.00

Deduction

£-900.00

Field Survey charge paid

£-250.00

Total

£9,066.00

Pricing valid for 28 days. Excludes VAT.

Premises passed below. Deductions of £50 per premises and £700.00 per FTTPoD order.

However, since I have had this done I have had a letter to say they will be installing FTTP in my area but when you check now it states there have no plans to bring it to my area. I have been trying to get more information formation out of BT but not having a lot of joy. So now stuff is starting to opening up again, I will probably look to replace the FTTPoD order.

Caporegime

However, since I have had this done I have had a letter to say they will be installing FTTP in my area but when you check now it states there have no plans to bring it to my area. I have been trying to get more information formation out of BT but not having a lot of joy. So now stuff is starting to opening up again, I will probably look to replace the FTTPoD order.
Might be better asking Openreach on their twitter or their website.

Permabanned

Did they give you an indication on distance from your nearest aggregation node?

Back
Top Bottom