BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I’m still using the Smart Hub 2 and whilst there’s a couple of niggly things you can’t do it’s been fine.

Did end up disabling dhcp and using the pi-hole for that as couldn’t set the pi-hole as the dns server on the hub..

Soldato
Is anyone using their own router with Sky FTTP?

Is it an easy process? My Asus supports DHCP Option 61.

FTTP shouldn’t be any different to g.fast or FTTC unless they have gone VLAN, you just need to put in random details in the correct format, obviously Merlin supports 60/61, not sure if the stock fw does.

Soldato
I'm curious now, is that provisioned at 900Mb or is it 1Gb but they say 900Mb to account for overheads/advertising reasons?
What do you mean overheads?
It's not like FTTC I pay for 150 and get exactly that for instance, none of this up to rubbish.
I think the slowest speed test I've done I got 148Mb.

Caporegime
The Openreach product is 1000Mbps, ISPs will advertise a figure based on what a percentage of their user base are able to obtain. If the connection is capped at 1000Mbps then that's never going to be the average, so 900Mbps (sometimes 940Mbps) is what it gets advertised as.

Mobster
Soldato
The Openreach product is 1000Mbps, ISPs will advertise a figure based on what a percentage of their user base are able to obtain. If the connection is capped at 1000Mbps then that's never going to be the average, so 900Mbps (sometimes 940Mbps) is what it gets advertised as.

Max you can achieve is therefore around 940Mbps because of overheads, e.g. PPPoE.

So 900Mbps makes sense, I see now, thanks.

Mobster
Soldato
I've for a while had an issue with BT Broadband whereby I get terrible ping spikes when I'm torrenting.

Initially I believed this to be a bufferbloat issue so I employed SQM through OpenWrt but although this has reduced the ping spikes from 100s of ms to say up to 50ms, I'm still seeing the problem.

I've had a chat with some people on the OpenWrt forum and SQM should really stop these issues, so they concluded it's likely congestion.

My own tests seem to confirm this, if I cap my download speed to below 20Mb, the issue seems to go away. This is no good as that's more than half of my bandwidth but it does seem to indicate the issue is congestion.

Is there anything I can do about this, or is the solution to change ISP?

Back
Top Bottom