BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I've emailed him basically going over the points I made in my post.

I'm interested to see what is said. I will let you know either way. Where do we stand with getting in contact with OFCOM these days, I remember getting DEMON INTERNET by the balls a few years ago when they were messing me about, they were constantly having to ring me to ensure I was happy with the service so someone must have been pressuring them..

Soldato
Or his email will end up in spam folder ;)

It will get passed onto the high level complaints team, normally a nice sounding female :D

I've emailed him basically going over the points I made in my post.

I'm interested to see what is said. I will let you know either way. Where do we stand with getting in contact with OFCOM these days, I remember getting DEMON INTERNET by the balls a few years ago when they were messing me about, they were constantly having to ring me to ensure I was happy with the service so someone must have been pressuring them..

let us know if you get a reply

Associate
Had a reply.

"Thank you for your e-mail. Gavin is currently in a series of meetings with limited access to his e-mail, so I am replying on his behalf to avoid further delay. Please be assured that Gavin reviews all customer correspondence.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing, I will pass this to our senior service team for investigation and response directly to you.

Kind regards,

Tracy."

So basically it's being passed to the service team. The same service team who are sat on their asses and not helping me out in the first place. So that's onto a loser then.

Seems like emailing the top bloke isn't an option now.

Soldato
Had a reply.

"Thank you for your e-mail. Gavin is currently in a series of meetings with limited access to his e-mail, so I am replying on his behalf to avoid further delay. Please be assured that Gavin reviews all customer correspondence.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing, I will pass this to our senior service team for investigation and response directly to you.

Kind regards,

Tracy."

So basically it's being passed to the service team. The same service team who are sat on their asses and not helping me out in the first place. So that's onto a loser then.

Seems like emailing the top bloke isn't an option now.

No, these are good! just be nice to them when they call, and don't throw dummies out of pram

Associate
Well I hope that's the case, I've just done a speed check and see I'm down to 37mpbs now!! Why on earth is that? Right, he's emailed the CEO, take him down another 10!! ;)

Associate
Dropped to 20mbps, contacted support, they tinkered with it at their end, back up to 60...

4 hours later... It's dropped down to a snails pace again...

Seriously considering virgin at the rate bt is going

Soldato
Bit of a question about FTTP :)

Here is a quick diagram of my situation:

wlr4ik4.jpg

My exchange in Town A soon goes live for FTTC and FTTP.

My current phone lines cabinet has a nice new FTTC Cab right next to it and the copper cable runs around 3.2km from there to my house.

Right now I have three 1mb connections from that old cab back to the exchange. I guess the cable length is a bit shorter than the road distance to get 1mb at ~7km.

Obviously VDSL2 from the new FTTC Cabinet at up to about 3200m is probably not going to work or be as bad as the current ADSL from the exchange?

Over the last year while getting ready for Town A to upgrade to Fibre, BT closed off the road linking to Town B and installed the main fibre cables all the way between the two (Took them months!)

There are lots of manhole type covers along this route which I assume some must have NGA Aggregation Nodes in them?

Basicly I would like to know if anyone has any info on the Nodes, what to look for etc so I can work out how many meters from one I am to then refer to this Price List:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/hom...RgB7BL4KNYn/lKx2YB4Qe6YShZ82RgLO GLsH2e9+mw==

The main road is around 250m and a village close to me on the way to Town B also has a FTTC Cabinet in it and that is around 1400m from me (annoying my phone lines go the other way to Town A!) so I assume there would be a Node somewhere there around those distances?

In the past I was quoted over £25k for a leased line install so a few grand for FTTP would be excellent!

Any other info on who to contact to get a survey done and what ISP to look at would be good.

Thanks!

Soldato
@JP: Head over on to the ThinkBroadband forums. There's a couple of people there who have looked into this and the site owner seems to have decent contacts in Openreach.
For an ISP, contact Andrews & Arnold. They know their stuff and work closely with Openreach.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the tip, it would appear that I would need FTTPoD.

Will check out Andrews & Arnold once my exchange goes live with the Fibre services.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Since I'm no longer on FTTC, is my BT Modem thing worth any money? It's unlocked.

You do get them on eBay, they seem to sell for a small amount but worth a listing i guess, usually ~5-10 quid. If you list it i will probably bid on it as i need one! :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If you put it on MM let me know as i will buy it, i need one shortly and am watching tons on eBay, yours would save me bothering to unlock it though :p

Back
Top Bottom