Building a computer

Soldato
Would it be worth me getting a HD7950 rather that a HD7850?

This shows a comparison so you can decide :)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

So in the checkout at the top of the page i have storage and this SSD which do the same job?

Yes essentially they do. But the SSD is really good as a boot drive [i.e. it'll have Windows on it] as it'll decrease boot/loading times, then the hard drive is just for storage as a 128GB SSD can fill up quickly :p

With your budget I wouldn't consider a build without one to be honest.

Associate
OP
This shows a comparison so you can decide :)
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=549

Yes essentially they do. But the SSD is really good as a boot drive [i.e. it'll have Windows on it] as it'll decrease boot/loading times, then the hard drive is just for storage as a 128GB SSD can fill up quickly :p

With your budget I wouldn't consider a build without one to be honest.
Ok thanks

Soldato
Ok thanks

No problem. I saw your thread in the case section but thought I might as well say here, if you find a case that you like the look of [it is a personal choice after all!] we can let you know if the above specs will fit, chances are they will as most cases are ATX [a standard by which components are made] :)

Soldato
Would it be worth me getting a HD7950 rather that a HD7850?

IMO, with a single 1080p screen, a 7850 will do a very good job. With triple displays, you need all the horsepower you can get, hence the drop off in performance once the resolution increases.

It's usually a law of diminishing returns after a high-midrange card (7850 and equivalents). If you have the budget for it, why not. Also to consider, is that the more expensive cards are bigger in size, so you need to make sure they will fit in the case.

Soldato
Thank you all for such quick replies :) wasn't expecting such a good welcome :)

@beejjacobs
Would this sort of setup be able to play top end games such as
Shogun Total War 2:
Recommended Specs (Recommended for optimum game play of Total War: Shogun 2):

- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™i5 processor (or greater), or AMD equivalent
- 2GB RAM (XP), 4GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
- AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series graphics cards or equivalent DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
- 1280x1024 minimum screen resolution
- 20GB free hard disk space

or Crysis:
Recommended System Requirements
OS – Windows XP / Vista
Processor – Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory – 2.0 GB RAM
GPU – NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

These are the sort of games i like to be able to play and maybe games coming out this year.

Thanks again,
Sam

Just going to point out, as I'm not sure if you're aware, the recommended requirements of any game should be taken with a pinch of salt. Basically, if you meet them, the game will start.

If you've not built one before it can be quite daunting. I've always bought pre-built including this one, but after some lengthy sessions of playing around inside to achieve what I want I'd happily build my own now.
It's quite easy really. In fact as long as you set aside plenty of time to do it by the book, it's hard to mess things up dramatically.

Soldato
Yes, follow the first video guide, then it should make it relatively easy. Things get complicated when it doesn't go according to plan, as it can be quite difficult, even for the pros, to find a fault.

And be very gentle with the CPU. Double check the pins on the motherboard to see if any are bent before putting the CPU, and making sure of its orientation and alignment before you close the lid (which will be quite stiff, but that's normal).

If you do a build log thread, we should be able to help you out.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
IMO, with a single 1080p screen, a 7850 will do a very good job. With triple displays, you need all the horsepower you can get, hence the drop off in performance once the resolution increases.

It's usually a law of diminishing returns after a high-midrange card (7850 and equivalents). If you have the budget for it, why not. Also to consider, is that the more expensive cards are bigger in size, so you need to make sure they will fit in the case.

Ok ill probably just stick with the 7850 :):D

Associate
OP
Would any of these cases be compatible with the components i have at the top of the page?

and also are these of better or worse quality than the case that is already in the checkout?
Sorry for asking so many questions :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't buy either of those. Also, you shouldn't link to competitors so you should remove those links really.

Both of those will be significantly worse quality than the ones mentioned in this thread!

Associate
Also can somebody explain to me what the Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (CT128M4SSD2) is and what it does. Just interested.

Thanks

It's the equivalent of putting petrol in your (thinks of a fast car) Audi R8 instead of diesel.

OK I have exaggerated a little, but if you want a fast computing experience, don't remove that SSD from your shopping list !

Associate
OP
Thanks Dervious

All in all which one of those cases would you go for?
I'm not really worried about what it looks like as long as it isn't stupid looking, or pink. More just looking for practicality. :)

Associate
OP
Cool i might go for that one then :).
Also i was just looking at the "how to build..." videos and i think i understand the hardware ok but the software looks really confusing, is it complicated as he makes it or am i being simple :confused:

Soldato
Cool i might go for that one then :).
Also i was just looking at the "how to build..." videos and i think i understand the hardware ok but the software looks really confusing, is it complicated as he makes it or am i being simple :confused:

Installing Windows is easy, put the disk in and follow the instructions!

Only thing is when you have an SSD, install windows before installing the storage drive.

Don't worry about asking loads of questions, that's what we're here for!

Soldato
Well, in the Corsair 300R it is simple. There are hard drive trays that you clip the hard drive into, then they slide into the case. You then just need a SATA cable from the hard drive to the motherboard [these come with the motherboard], and a power cable from the PSU.

Did you mean this or the software side of things?

Review of the 300R:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom