Building a computer

Soldato
Well, once the SSD is in the PC, and Windows is installed you won't need to do anything with that except run the Windows Experience Index, as here Windows picks up that it's an SSD and puts some settings right for it.

Then, turn the PC off, install the hard drive. It might be formatted already and therefore will come up in Windows Explorer and you can start using it.

If it doesn't, go to "Computer Management" [type it in the start menu] and go to "Disk Management" find which is the hard drive, it'll probably be 'unallocated' I think. So right-click and select 'new volume' follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

The easiest way I find for using a storage drive, when using Windows 7 is to change the libraries. In an explorer window, go to your storage drive and make some folders such as 'documents' and 'music'. Then go to the document library and select where it says locations:
y89pw.png
then this window will open up [well, similar]
Es7fM.png
just click add and find the folders on your new hard drive, and I usually remove the two that are on there by default too.

I hope that helps/makes sense. It might be easier to go through it when you have the kit!

Soldato
Yes, sorry i should have been more clear, i did mean on the software side.

Before you install windows on the SSD, disconnect the hard drive from the motherboard (with the power switched off). It means that windows wont try to install some rubbish on it, as it sometimes do.

Then you can connect the hard drive once windows is up and running (PC power switched off of course). You will need to go into windows storage tools if it doesn't show up, and format the hard drive.

For the drivers, pre-load them on a USB flash drive. Although you could use the motherboard CD with drivers on them. People say to not use the installation CD, but it's the easiest way. Then you can update the drivers by looking for the latest on the manufacturers sites, although often they auto-update themselves.

The longest part is downloading all the windows updates. It may be possible to pre-load them onto a DVD or something. Would save a few hours.

Associate
OP
SO what do i need to install drives for? the SDD and the hard drive? because in the video he has a massive list of stuff that he needs to install drives for at 15:14 on the part two video.

Soldato
Ah I see, you mean drivers!
These are bits of software that make sure all your components do what they're supposed to :)

What I do is install Windows, then go to the motherboard website [quick Google should bring it up] such as this for the motherboard in my first post:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4144&dl=1#dl

Select 'driver' and 'Windows 7 64bit' from the drop down menus, then basically download and install each of the items listed. They will come on a CD with the motherboard, but downloading them makes sure you get the latest version.

You'll also need to do that for the graphics card. Which can be found here for the 7850:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Hope that helps

Associate
OP
OK thanks, also, im probably wrong :) but in your first post you did a checkout with Intel i5 but the link you just gave is AMD. Does this matter?

Soldato
Repost up your current spec list and get the once over just to be sure :)

The 7850 graphics card will be a good buy for you and later on if you want you can overclock it using software provided to match or even beat a 7870 card with ease without putting any pressure on your system :)

Associate
Thanks Dervious

All in all which one of those cases would you go for?
I'm not really worried about what it looks like as long as it isn't stupid looking, or pink. More just looking for practicality. :)

I admit I am no "case expert", but I have been thinking about a new home for my PC components.

Having taken a quick glance at the cases you listed, must say that I'd go for the Corsair. I like the "no nonsense" look, the front mounted USB(3.0) sockets and the fact that it has cable management. At the end of the day, it's personal choice, and any of the cases on your shortlist will do the job. I just think the Corsair is where my money would be spent.

A few other tips, that might help......

Once you have done the build and installed windows, make sure the M4 SSD (which I assume you will go for, given my earlier "expert" opinion ;) ), has the latest Firmware (ver 000F). The current firmware will be printed on the label, and might be 0009 or 0309, although I would have thought that current stock will now have the latest version. If it is 0009 or 0309, then you need to download ver 000F from http://www.crucial.com/uk/help/ssd/index.aspx?source=web

Having said that, if you have ver 0309, it is probably not essential that you do the update. If you have 0009, then you really do need to carry out the update sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Associate
^

I can vouch for the Coolermaster PSU.

I have the 700w version, and it seems to be decent quality. It is very quiet and the modular leads are a definite plus.

Soldato
Aye, that latest basket by Beejjacobs includes the Gelid Tranquillo - which is a nice performing, good value CPU cooler.

I think the spelling is "heat sink", but tbh "heatsink" or "heat-sync" are fine by me.

Just to highlight something which was touched on earlier - the next generation Intel CPUs called "Ivy Bridge" (which use the 22nm process, compared to 32nm on Sandy bridge) are expected to come out on Monday. This launch will include the replacement to the i5 2500K - the i5 3570K. So if you can put off buying a couple of days you are likely to get a faster CPU with more features for almost the same money.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oh that is OK i'm not going to be able to buy it for about another month and a bit so some things may change by then. I just wanted to get ready for when i did buy the kit so that i knew what i was doing. :)

Soldato
Oh that is OK i'm not going to be able to buy it for about another month and a bit so some things may change by then. I just wanted to get ready for when i did buy the kit so that i knew what i was doing. :)

Well now you have an idea of what to buy at least. Be sure to check before you do buy though, as there may be some new Nvidia GPUs out by then, as well as Ivy Bridge and prices will of course change :)

Back
Top Bottom