Building a travel tech pack

Use a battery pack, a multi-charher than can do 100W across up to 4 devices with a single travel adaptor. Then an hdmi to usb c to hook up to monitors if needed.
Was looking for a nice pack to put all my wires in, what is everyone using?

I have a tech kit that I take whenever I travel.

Bag: Tomtoc pouch

Charger: I have a USBC 66w charger in it (multiple ports) with UK, US, Europe adapters. However one of these recently died so I'll be replacing this with a better Anker one.

Cable: A 2 meter USBC cable

Multi adapter: A USB cable multi adapter tool. This is been surprisingly useful and converts any USBC cable (there is a small one included) to USBA, micro USB, lightning. It also has a small micro SD card reader built in.

Earbuds: I also take my Poly Free 60 earbuds for conference calls rather than my larger headset, although I'm not entirely happy with their comfort so I'm not particularly recommending them.

Mouse: Logitech MX Anywhere mouse as that can work on any surface. I do sometimes swap this out for a Razer Orochi which is a tiny gaming mouse.

Powerbank: I will sometimes throw a powerbank in there too. Typically it will be a smaller Anker model that has wireless charging. It's also quite thin so fits in the bag.

Mouse mat: I don't always take it. But in my 30L travel backpack I usually leave a very thin mat. This one is wafer thin so it takes up no space or weight.

Last edited:
I'm surprised how many of you are using junk cables and TEMU plugs to charge 1K+ devices.

A lot of it is just rehashed anyway into a different shell anyway if you buy in the UK.
I've never actually had a problem with any Aliexpress stuff as chargers go.
My rav power powerbank got wet and blew but still didn't take the device it was connected to out.

A lot of it is just rehashed anyway into a different shell anyway if you buy in the UK.
I've never actually had a problem with any Aliexpress stuff as chargers go.
My rav power powerbank got wet and blew but still didn't take the device it was connected to out.

I have the same (different brand) type from Aliexpress. It's been fine for the last 4 years. I had the lower 22W one before, now 65w.

But I am going to take my UGREEN 65w adaptor next trip and power the MBP solely off that since I need to power multiple devices while working

Yeah I'm not sure how it works with a captive portal but I am told it does. The NIC isn't required all the time. There are lots of YT videos including an LTT Short Circuit.

After some research I have the Beryl AX in my basket lol. It has wifi 6, USB-C powered, double the cost but more future proof.

Last edited:
After some research I have the Beryl AX in my basket lol. It has wifi 6, USB-C powered, double the cost but more future proof.

I looked at both the GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) and the GL.iNet GL-AXT1800 (Slate) as a VPN bridge between my daughters university room and my home. Her uni room had captive portal and, although I had got a previous travel router working using MAC cloning, it often disconnected. I can't remember the exact differences between the two devices but I came to the conclusion that the AXT1800 would be the better device. I'm fairly sure this was due to better captive portal support. So I installed one at home as a VPN server and one in her uni room as a VPN client bridging to her rooms wifi with captive portal. It worked perfectly.

I did a thread on it here:

Last edited:
I looked at both the GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX) and the GL.iNet GL-AXT1800 (Slate) as a VPN bridge between my daughters university room and my home. Her uni room had captive portal and, although I had got a previous travel router working using MAC cloning, it often disconnected. I can't remember the exact differences between the two devices but I came to the conclusion that the AXT1800 would be the better device. I'm fairly sure this was due to better captive portal support. So I installed one at home as a VPN server and one in her uni room as a VPN client bridging to her rooms wifi with captive portal. It worked perfectly.

I did a thread on it here:

Cheers, I went for the 3000....hopefully it will work! I watched a comparison video between the 2 and the 3000 suit my needs.

There is a £30 voucher at the moment too, cost about £70 in the end..

Excellent thread. @Hades - love that adapter device, might have to get one.

Also had no idea you could get 100w power banks as well.
You can get much higher than that even, much higher.

You can get much higher than that even, much higher.

tenor.gif

Still rocking 65w chargers but nice to see.

I don't need more than 65w anything. The cost premium isn't worth it.
65w can charge my phone and laptop which is plenty enough for me.

If I'm using a power bank for a laptop I'm certainly not going to be using it for anything demanding. The battery would be decimated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom