Bye Bye Game!

Associate
In Stafford the only game shops I know of are:

Game
Gamestation
Disks and Disks

Disks and Disks closed down I don't know how long ago, and I used to go to one of those and switch between them to find who was cheaper when buying a new game.

I usually pre-order online but sometimes I forget and sometimes nobody can find our house so it somtimes gets delayed, so these shops were usefull when that happens.

Associate
Game will still be around, their plan is to use administration to restructure their debts and streamline their number of stores. They will certainly keep their website, it's probably the most profitable section.

Soldato
OP
In Stafford the only game shops I know of are:

Game
Gamestation
Disks and Disks

Disks and Disks closed down I don't know how long ago, and I used to go to one of those and switch between them to find who was cheaper when buying a new game.

I usually pre-order online but sometimes I forget and sometimes nobody can find our house so it somtimes gets delayed, so these shops were usefull when that happens.

What about the one behind Maccy D's in town?

Associate
CEX is very good!

But I'd still like somewhere to buy New games other than the ridiculous price of HMV or the limited selection of a supermarket...

I'm sure we'll see some indie shops pop up here and there :)

Associate
But I'd still like somewhere to buy New games other than the ridiculous price of HMV or the limited selection of a supermarket...

You're so lucky to have an HMV that does PC games... my local HMV stopped stocking the miserable selection of PC games it had before Xmas.

Once Game/Gamestation go, there will be no shops selling PC games in my town.

Soldato
Same here, the only place I can get PC games from that has any kind of decent selection is the purple place, and they're way overpriced there. Everything is going online.

Soldato
No real lost to myself, Haven't used game for years now.

Not happy about all the people who are now going to flood the job market, Not much out there as it is tbh. Feel sorry for them and anyone else who will be looking for a job in the retail sector in the coming months.

Permabanned
True. I was discussing this with my GF the other day and with near 2 million people unemployed this is just going to make it worse.

Huw

Huw

Associate
Buying online isn't the same as browsing a good selection in person, reading the packaging, bit like the smell of books over a kindle.

This is what I always used to say in various gaming communities, and I always got told I was a "Luddite" and to embrace "digital" gaming. :rolleyes: Of course, being primarily a PC gamer I've long since got used to never being able to browse a decent selection anyway. While I feel bad for Game, I won't really miss them in my life. For years now I've been buying games exclusively from e-tailers, and more recently from DD platforms.

Soldato
OP
anyone doubting how inept the management have been read this article...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/9166190/Rescue-hope-for-Game-Group.html

How could a set of managers refuse to accept a bid that would prevent a company entering into administration unless it means they financially benefit, because the company is next to worthless now it has actually entered administration without a prepack deal in place. RBS are now willing to stump up some cash because they are in administration and this means a large proportion of their debts will be wiped out. I hope the managers are not allowed near a business again...but we all know that won't happen

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I do buy online for various things but I think if that move continues it won't do anyone any good in the longer term. When price rules over everything else the software houses will probably not invest so much in new titles, plus we loose more jobs.

It's also nice to have an instruction booklet etc with software so you can have that open whilst the software is on the screen rather than flicking back and forth with some pdf etc.

Many years since I lived near an independent, that's what I'd really like to see but if Game have failed then probably unlikely an independent could pull it off unless it was a one off backstreet freehold affair.

Back
Top Bottom