Bye Bye Game!

Associate
It will be a shame to see them go, I've had some great bargains over the years and the local stores has always given good service. It was always good to pop in and try out the new hardware, and something I can't see the supermarkets doing.

Game should have done something about their number of stores years ago. We have 2 games and a gamestation within 300/400 yards of one another, all in prime locations. If you have that replicated over the UK then its no wonder they've hit financial problems, as surely one store per city should be plenty?

Permabanned
It will be a shame to see them go, I've had some great bargains over the years and the local stores has always given good service. It was always good to pop in and try out the new hardware, and something I can't see the supermarkets doing.

Game should have done something about their number of stores years ago. We have 2 games and a gamestation within 300/400 yards of one another, all in prime locations. If you have that replicated over the UK then its no wonder they've hit financial problems, as surely one store per city should be plenty?

Yeah they had something like that in Southampton iirc, something silly like 4 games...

Down here we have 1 Game and 1 Gamestation literally 100yds from each other :D

There is a market for a high street store... but not at silly prices. Parents still need somewhere to go, the impulse buyer who wants something now will want stores.

Seomthing more streamlined like

1 store per City or something depending on size
Only stock consoles/games - scrap PC in store.
Reduce new stock prices to something more realistic OR give double points or something on all release date buys
2nd hand, bring it in to be a bit more competitive

Its do able they just have to realise that there are others out there who will compete hard now: internet, supermarkets etc

Soldato
One other advantages online or the supermarket had over Game and Gamestation is that when I add something to my basket, I'm not continually asked if I want to buy this game guide or if I want to buy the game used or if I want this limited edition finger rest.

Even if the prices are identical it's less hassle buying online and in the supermarket where I'm not badgered by a staff member trying to hit their often silly sales targets.

Soldato
One other advantages online or the supermarket had over Game and Gamestation is that when I add something to my basket, I'm not continually asked if I want to buy this game guide or if I want to buy the game used or if I want this limited edition finger rest.

Even if the prices are identical it's less hassle buying online and in the supermarket where I'm not badgered by a staff member trying to hit their often silly sales targets.

Plenty of other stores do this, so unfair to point the finger at Game.
HMV tried to sell me disc scratch insurance.
Homebase wants me to buy an extended warranty for a £9.99 lamp.

Soldato
one store per city? LOL are u lot mad? imagine one GAME store in london, bham, liverpool etc etc haha

They probably mean in town centres. There is no need for as many as they have currently. It's not like they are McDonalds or Subway and gets lots of traffic to warrant it.

Incidentally game.co.uk and gamestation.co.uk are down for maintenance.

Soldato
one store per city? LOL are u lot mad? imagine one GAME store in london, bham, liverpool etc etc haha

I think he is wrong about one per city, but certainly in towns. They have far too many stores on regular high-streets and in shopping malls. I've said it so many times now that I fail to see why they didn't scrap Gamestation, yes there would have been redundancies, but it would have massively cut operational costs.

MCV has a lot of articles today, one of the most interesting is how successful Mass Effect 3 has been without Game and Gamestation, which has EA rubbing it's hands because it makes them right about their fears for the company.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/mass...ce-riccitiello-s-chilling-game-warning/092605

Soldato
I'm quietly surprised but I guess it was really. Without sounding speculative, no retail industry couldn't survive the continued abuse and loss of income from both illegal down loading and direct digital distribution. Something has to give.
TBH, they also priced themselves out of the market.

Soldato
I'm quietly surprised but I guess it was really. Without sounding speculative, no retail industry couldn't survive the continued abuse and loss of income from both illegal down loading and direct digital distribution. Something has to give.

Do you mean in future?

Game Group's failings to me seem like bad management.

They bought out the competition, then when the credit crunch hit and consumer spending decreased they didn't close stores like many other businesses did.

Their business model became one of selling new games at a high price, while selling pre-owned copies right next to it at better one. The Publishers clearly don't like this, but that aside, it's clear that their main consumer became one who is constantly trading in games for pre-owned ones, as the UKs biggest retailer of Games there must be thousands of people who shop in this way.

That model is what has driven me away from them, as I don't buy preowned, I'd rather have a new copy for a good price. It's impossible to know what effect the strategy of Publishers requiring single use online codes has had on preowned sales.

This model does work and is employed in many countries, but Game should have massively cut their operating costs and it's clear that they've had a shaky relationship with the major Publishers which is why they all turned on them. That's why I think they've had poor management and it's been their biggest problem.

Soldato
i.ve always favoured gamestation and will be sad to see that store go as the guys who work in the nottingham gamestation are a great bunch, the same cannot be said for game's staff however...
We have 2 games and a gamestation about half a mile apart, not hard to work out how they could have saved money if its similar in other places

Permabanned

I mean like in Southampton you had when I lived there something like 4 total all in the city centre, 2 were like around the corner from each other.. that makes no sense.

Where i am now, 100 yards apart we have 2... whose idea was that to keep the shops both running?

Im sure other places have examples like that. OK London and the bigger places will need more than one as you wouldnt travel xx miles just to get to one store, but its silly having so many bunched together in areas that dont justify it.

Probably didnt explain it clearly at first but thought people would understand what I meant given that previous posters had made similar comments.

Soldato
Please explain why? I have i little left on my reward card so i'm interested

I preordered a Vita and then cancelled it... they didn't refund the points so I chased them up, they promised to refund the points but they haven't done.

I've chased them again but now their generic response hilariously says they're in their "busy period". :rolleyes:

Soldato
i picked up a used DS Lite yesterday for £35 which i was happy with, slight scuff on the bottom screen but its for my 4 year old and shes loving it.... they did offer a 3 year cover at a £25 which did seem as if he knew i was going to say no the way he asked me.

as with most in grimsby there is a game and gamestation locally but both are already a shell of the stores they were with an obvious clearout happening.

its a pity as it was always nice to pop in while i was in town but like many others there pricing was too far off and i very rarely purchased anything but the odd preowned game on offer.

Back
Top Bottom