Bye Bye Game!

Associate
There will be a buyout, perhaps even by Gamestop. But whoever it is will wait until the administrators have stepped in and broken the company up into smaller chunks. No one with any brains would take it on in its current form- 600+ stores all with leases, staff wages etc? Forget that, far too bloated. Plus buying now means they'd have to sort out how to service millions in debts that are due to be payed this year/need refinancing.

In fact I'm sure there was a rumour that Gamestop is not interested in buying if they have to take on more than one store per town/city.

Soldato
im thinking the same, their website has had a lot of stuff are stupid good prices but always listed as out of stock. They have been doing that for ages way before the problems started.

They done it when the website first launched...And the people claiming they got the deal i would love to see the receipt(s).

I don't recall the last time i went to game...must be a good 10 years now.

Associate
Staff in my local GS were chatting, they've been told if GameStop haven't bought them out by next week then the administrators are moving in.

Feel sorry for the staff, they've always been decent in GS, but hardly a big shock.

Permabanned
I went into game today and picked up some cheap games, but they have no new releases and loads of things were out of stock with bare shelves, I said to the guy are you going to close down, he just said we aren't allowed to talk about it, oh dear sounds like its game over!

Associate
But they're doing badly as well aren't they?

Yes they are, yet have at least created and began to implement a plan to turn the company around. They are still a long, long way off from being okay again, and could still go under, but unlike Game's management, they saw how close to the edge they were getting, and so attempted to sort the company out at an earlier stage.

For example, they shifted Waterstones, and are putting effort into the live events element of their business, which is a growing market. I imagine next they will begin to cut store numbers, carry on with digital music sales and preowned games market, and keep re-evaluating what is/isn't selling in stores in terms of product ranges.

Soldato
Yes they are, yet have at least created and began to implement a plan to turn the company around. They are still a long, long way off from being okay again, and could still go under, but unlike Game's management, they saw how close to the edge they were getting, and so attempted to sort the company out at an earlier stage.

For example, they shifted Waterstones, and are putting effort into the live events element of their business, which is a growing market. I imagine next they will begin to cut store numbers, carry on with digital music sales and preowned games market, and keep re-evaluating what is/isn't selling in stores in terms of product ranges.

They certainly are trying their best to turn things around.

However, the Live music part of the business isn't proving to be much good. Back in December they announced it was part of the business under serious strategic review with an air to them selling it.

Associate
They certainly are trying their best to turn things around.

However, the Live music part of the business isn't proving to be much good. Back in December they announced it was part of the business under serious strategic review with an air to them selling it.

Really? Damn, they can't catch a break :p
I wonder if selling electronic gadgets in store is working for them?

Soldato
I still see this as sad news. :( I know many arent bothered or think they deserve it in some way. But I spent so much of my time wasting my lunch breaks in there!!

Agreed.

Even if you don't shop at Game, to shrug it off as nothing is silly, we all loose. Competition in the marketplace is always important for the consumer, to loose the UK's biggest high-street game retailer wouldn't be doing us any favours.

Back
Top Bottom