CAA Drone Registration costs money!

Associate
Small cost in the grand scheme of things I can remember reading a while a go that drones over a certain weight would have to have to go through a sort of mot also a training course before you could legally be allowed to fly

Also anyone flying drones should have some sort of 3rd party insurance in place I'm all for a hobbys but if a drone has so.e sort of a fly away the owner of the drone should be able traced and held accountable for any damage or injury

Caporegime
Small cost in the grand scheme of things I can remember reading a while a go that drones over a certain weight would have to have to go through a sort of mot also a training course before you could legally be allowed to fly

Also anyone flying drones should have some sort of 3rd party insurance in place I'm all for a hobbys but if a drone has so.e sort of a fly away the owner of the drone should be able traced and held accountable for any damage or injury

We don't have mandatory 3rd party insurance for pets and they cause a massive amount more in damages than drones do on an annual basis, even oter vehicles like bikes and horses don't require insurance.

Soldato
OP
Maybe indeed, but that's got nothing to do with managing the risk from drones.

I can think of zero incidents involving drones that have resulted in injury or death, probably because a vast majority of the owners/pilots actually fly safely and responsibly.

If your going to try and force mandatory insurance onto hobbyists with a clean track record then you damn well have to do the same for horses/golfers/cyclists who do cause injury and sometimes death pretty frequently.

Soldato
dang just found out it weighs 760g and that probably does not include a 3s lipo... :( https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-1/blade-helicopters/blade-450-3d-rtf-blh1600

got it for cheap years ago and only used it once in my kitchen to check i calibrated my old dx6i controller on it properly and had trouble with my new type dx6 i got a few years back so never tried it again.

my dads getting back into the heli's and im itching to try some after years of inactivity, if we rejoin a club we get a place to fly and insurance but the extra cost is a kick in the balls for a harmless hobby :(

pretty sure cyclists do not cause frequent deaths lol (cycled thousands of miles and never caused one) :p

dang my 130x is 107g https://www.horizonhobby.com/blade-130-x-bnf-with-as3x®-technology-blh3780 not much space on the weight as that is pretty small.

i really dislike how easy drones are to fly, any noob can go buy one and cause havok and then responsible hobbyists get an extra charge :(

Soldato
OP
More than 1 is enough,

In 2016, 3 people died and over 100 were injured by cyclists. So its a significantly more dangerous hobby than flying an RC plane/helicopter or drone. Consumer drones like the DJI, Autel or Parrot range practically fly themselves.

Hobby grade enthusiast ones (flown in acro/air mode) are much harder to fly and require a fairly substantial amount of air time just to get them to do basic manoeuvrers.

Soldato
yet how many bikes are on the road and how many drones are there compared to that number?

you can't put all responsible cyclists in the same category as a few bad ones considering the sheer number of push bikes getting ridden every day......

any ways im out :)

Soldato
If your a commercial pilot drone insurance is already mandatory. As for flying a drone into a car, good luck with that, a 100mph+ carbon fibre drone couldn't even puncture a windscreen, and they have 6-7 times more kinetic energy that your typical consumer camera drone, a DJI matrice 200 which weighs 6kg and has a top speed of 50mph will do it, but then your not going to be flying that into a car windscreen.

Insurance is designed for things you don't do on purpose?

Associate
OP - welcome to my world as a shooter. The vast majority of the population will agree to evermore restrictions on your hobby as it does not affect them and there is a promise (although misguided) that things will be made safer and they can sit there in their ignorance. Nothing you can do will change their mind either, frustrating isn’t it?

Tyranny of the majority.

Just wait for the first successful terror attack on a western nation with a drone and then they really will come for them.

Soldato
If your going to try and force mandatory insurance onto hobbyists with a clean track record then you damn well have to do the same for horses/golfers/cyclists who do cause injury and sometimes death pretty frequently.

No, you don't. They present different types of risk, and just because one is being addressed now doesn't mean that others need to be addressed at the same time.

Associate
I buy a drone.

I register it.

I then spend a fun afternoon playing merry hell with my local airfield before packing up and going home.

How does the proposed CAA registration scheme deal with that or anyother illegal activity?

The only way a such a scheme would be effective, as I see it, is to fit all drones with transponders. But that has far reaching implications, plus anybody planning to do something illegal would presumably just disable it.

Associate
"local". they check owners and find you because it's registered. you then probably come crying on this very board about having got a fine etc etc.

No, that does'nt work at all. They check local owners and find, say, 200 drones registered within a 20 mile radius (or something).

How do they tie that drone to me. Unless they can identify a drone in flight, they have no idea who is using it. They could check the flight logs onboard (if not deleted) but how do they know who to check - all 200 registered drones?

Associate
they only linhk the drone to you if you crash it or lose it i assume they will be sending out stickers or you will have to put your reg number on your multirotors.... So that will be another fail point in the system

its cheaper to register and carry on flying your current fleet then to build a sub 250 fpv & DVR capable system. I can be done quite easily but it is expensive.

plus if you have to register to fly your might as well start flying X-Class instead :cool:

Back
Top Bottom