Caffeine Detox Time

Soldato
Was drinking a huge amount of coffee in the office, just nescafe, but a lot of mugs a day. Used to feel like crap not long after getting home, when I'd usually not drink any more. Asked the office to get some decaff and switched. Had a headache for about 3 days, but felt massively better in the evenings, and generally better overall. Still occassionally enjoy a coffee, but it's once a week, with the rest being decaff.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I'm going to try a different approach instead of quitting, I need to be realistic. There are some benefits to coffee and I do benefit from it, when taken in moderation.

I will be going down to 1 cup a day and I'm strictly having this only 2 hours after waking. This is to prevent caffeine messing with my natural cortisol / waking up process. I have found from past experience delaying the first cup of coffee is hugely beneficial. When I have had a coffee first thing on an empty stomach, horrible.

So this approach was fine to begin with, it kept my coffee consumption in check, for a while. I started to get a really big crash between 3-5pm everyday, so I added in another caffeinated drink around lunch time. All that did was push the crash a little later in the day but also increased how much I was drinking.

After a while I noticed things getting worse - heart rate was always up, chest felt a bit tight, mind was always racing and needed something to do/solve. My mood was inconsistent and I got stressed more easily. I got tired of having to manage my caffeine "dose" to manage how I functioned.

3 weeks ago I started to taper off how much I drank, then gave my wife the warning that on 22nd December I was completely off. It's been a bit tough, but with a 20 minute power nap to help with the drowsiness and brain fog, I pushed through.

There's been a few days now where I've not needed a nap and I'm starting to feel really good. Calmer, less irritable, heart rate/blood pressure lower, more stable energy and much better sleep. I now feel awake in the morning, and actually feel more awake in general. I'm no longer jacked up on stimulants/adrenaline, which is no way to live.

I'm aware I've quit before and falling back into bad habits, I really hope I can kick this one for good this time.

I've been drinking peppermint tea, decaf tea and diet caffeine free coke which does help.

Associate
I've never been a coffee drinker but do a like a cup of tea. After switching to PG Tips Decaf a few months ago I was surprised to find very little difference in taste and that I didn't miss the caffeine at all. In fact when I drank a cup of caffeinated tea later on I noticed a slightly bitter aftertaste that I didn't like. So other than the marginally increased cost there has been no real drawback to switching for me.

Man of Honour
I’ve only read posts 221 through 229, but I feel that I’m seriously out of step among you guys.
I wake up seriously jonesing for coffee, I put a pot on to perc, then go brush my teeth and throw water in my face, to wake up and get the sleep from my eyes.
I’ll have at least two cups, the first one stronger than the first, before I’ll leave the kitchen.
I keep replenishing the percolator in order to have the good stuff all day, and probably drink 7 or 8 cups by dinner time.
After dinner, say around 7.45-8.00 p.m., I have a generous shot of good vodka, not always with ice, but I’ll be finished with coffee for the day.
I’ve never in my life sought or bought de-caf, so I’ve no idea what it tastes like, but after a “mild” heart attack in 1995, I have an annual check up with a cardiologist.
I’ve always told them the truth about my coffee and alcohol consumption, and all any of them have ever advised, is either ease up on the vodka, or add some tonic water to it.
I’ve experienced no “heart racing”nor “palpitations”, and aside from sometimes getting achey legs on my daily exercise walks, feel that I’m in reasonable condition for an 81 y.o., but I’m looking forward to eventually getting my second Pfizer jab.

Capodecina
Soldato
I’ve only read posts 221 through 229, but I feel that I’m seriously out of step among you guys.
I wake up seriously jonesing for coffee, I put a pot on to perc, then go brush my teeth and throw water in my face, to wake up and get the sleep from my eyes.
I’ll have at least two cups, the first one stronger than the first, before I’ll leave the kitchen.
I keep replenishing the percolator in order to have the good stuff all day, and probably drink 7 or 8 cups by dinner time.
After dinner, say around 7.45-8.00 p.m., I have a generous shot of good vodka, not always with ice, but I’ll be finished with coffee for the day.
I’ve never in my life sought or bought de-caf, so I’ve no idea what it tastes like, but after a “mild” heart attack in 1995, I have an annual check up with a cardiologist.
I’ve always told them the truth about my coffee and alcohol consumption, and all any of them have ever advised, is either ease up on the vodka, or add some tonic water to it.
I’ve experienced no “heart racing”nor “palpitations”, and aside from sometimes getting achey legs on my daily exercise walks, feel that I’m in reasonable condition for an 81 y.o., but I’m looking forward to eventually getting my second Pfizer jab.

it really depends on genetics, life outlook, so many things. The reason why they won't advise you much other than easing up is because they know it won't make much difference. People have set routines and pleasures that help get them through life.

For instance, my dad is in his mid-80s, has drunk quite heavily for most of his life and is in great health. So it's not a one-size-fits all model.

For me, I have a two cup a day limit. After that I don't want any more coffee, but I am addicted to it to the point where if I have a few days off I start to get headaches in the morning because I don't have it. But I seriously don't think two cups of sugarless black coffee a day has any negative effect on me.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
But I seriously don't think two cups of sugarless black coffee a day has any negative effect on me.

The issue comes when those 2 cups no longer give you the boost and you need to reach for the 3rd cup. The tolerance people build is a huge problem for managing caffeine doses.

Capodecina
Soldato
The issue comes when those 2 cups no longer give you the boost and you need to reach for the 3rd cup. The tolerance people build is a huge problem for managing caffeine doses.

Fair enough, but it's been this way for 20+ years so I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

Soldato
I know a few people that have done a caffeine detox after doctors were concerned about their heart, it was brutal. I work out 5 days a week and would love to take a pre-workout, but it's essentially just massive amounts of caffeine, I have no interest in getting addicted and then needing to detox when it no longer works.

As for my coffee usage, I have 1 cup a day, after lunch. I don't have it to perk me up, I have it because I enjoy it. We buy really nice coffee and just savour it. I have no negative side effects if I don't drink it for a few days, so I reckon I'm safe! As for tea, I have 1 in the evening and that's it.

Associate
If you've reached 81 with that routine, I'd personally say crack on and enjoy it, it's clearly working for you.

Life has few pleasures - for me a fresh press coffee is a rare treat perhaps on a sunday morning with my partner, i'm mostly a 6 cups of tea a day guy. I've detoxed once in my life, felt like I had a bad cold for about 10 days and then was fine. But I never noticed a lack or increase in attention, energy, brain function, heart rate etc, so decided I really didn't benefit from cutting out caffeine and resumed drinking tea.

Soldato
I’ve given up plenty but could never give up caffeine. It’s harmless/good for you in moderation, and pretty essential for training. I don’t have any after lunchtime but keep a bag of decaf beans on hand in case of cravings.

Soldato
Usual routine (i.e. not during lockdown) is 530am espresso/long black and train at the gym 6am... then decaf for the rest of the day. Works really well for me, occaseonally slip into bad habits again but even a second morning coffee seems to affect energy levels later in the afternoon. Also for me decaff just doesn't come close to the real thing in terms of taste and I've invested a lot of time and energy searching but no luck!

Soldato
Fair enough, but it's been this way for 20+ years so I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

Agreed.

My current routine of one coffee in the morning for the last few months is working a treat, feel like I have it under control, I wait for about an hour after waking and savour every drop. Don't feel the need to have another after, as I know it'll make my head spin, raise general dizziness, and heighten anxious feelings. Whilst intellectually I know there will be a metabolic and potentially undesirably response happening even with the one cup of coffee, I maintain that I can't particularly feel it.

If I feel any of the side effects with one cup that I typically experience with two, I'll drop to decaf coffee and green tea. Nescafe Azera Decaf I can personally vouch for.

Back
Top Bottom