Caffeine Detox Time

Soldato
Like beer or olives, the trick is you just keep trying it and after your 3rd or 4th cup you'll realise how empty your life was before.

Yep. I was in Paris 5 or so years ago and I just saw everyone drinking coffee and chilling. Fancied getting in on that action and literally forced myself to like it. And as you say, a hot coffee is one of life's little gifts.

I still don't like instant coffee but give me a good espresso, flat white or a flavored latte for a treat and it brightens up my day.

But it does also speed up my trips to the toilet

Soldato
As my wife always points out - it's a diuretic, so will make you wee more. And as others have posted, it can cause the other end to act up too :D
I was talking about the other end more lol. That was the first thing that surprised me as a budding coffee drinker! It's not as bad now though. :o:p

I never thought I'd say it but tea is just so unsatisfying compared to a good coffee

Soldato
I was talking about the other end more lol. That was the first thing that surprised me as a budding coffee drinker! It's not as bad now though. :o:p

I never thought I'd say it but tea is just so unsatisfying compared to a good coffee

:D It's ok, when I was having more coffee, it certainly upset the balance down there - one of the things I don't miss! :D

Still love a good cuppa though - I'm an animal, and like it milky, though still 'tea' colored.

Soldato
:D It's ok, when I was having more coffee, it certainly upset the balance down there - one of the things I don't miss! :D

Still love a good cuppa though - I'm an animal, and like it milky, though still 'tea' colored.

My old manager made, genuinely I believe, the worst cups of tea ever. He'd offer one and then he'd be back within 60 seconds with a cup of warm milk that he dipped the tea back in for a few seconds.

I'm a firm believer in that tea should be left to brew for 3-5 minutes at least

Soldato
My old manager made, genuinely I believe, the worst cups of tea ever. He'd offer one and then he'd be back within 60 seconds with a cup of warm milk that he dipped the tea back in for a few seconds.

I'm a firm believer in that tea should be left to brew for 3-5 minutes at least

A great tactic, make it bad, people won't ask you ever again :D

I'll let it brew, but not stew - it's a fine art, and I'm always moaning at the wife when she makes one for having the teabag in water for less than a minute.

Anyway, back OT, mmmmmmmmm coffee :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Gone cold Turkey today, as much as I love coffee and I can manage with the mild discomfort, I need to come off the hard stuff.

I've been clean now 10 days and it feels amazing. There have been a few testing times. I had to visit a customer site on Tuesday and we met up at a really nice coffee shop prior to the meeting, I ordered a decaf - It required some will power!

I'm now able to easily wake up at 6.30AM and not feel groggy, I actually feel awake now. I hit the gym at 7AM this morning with no caffeine and it was no issues.

My mild IBS is almost completely gone.

I think the issue with caffeine is that once you are "using" it you need to constantly be aware of your consumption to regulate your energy. If you're tired, you're never sure if it's because you haven't had enough caffeine or some other factor. I'm pretty good at dosing caffeine due to my background in weight lifting but I imagine many aren't. When I was competing I used to use pure caffeine on my mg scales, I looked like a hardcore drug user and in many ways caffeine is like a drug.

This is caffeine powder. 1g of this could be enough to put you at risk.

JlZeB9I.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm weird in that i drink a lot of caffeine. Usually 2 or 3 coffees, a tea and a pre workout drink pumped full of the stuff every day and yet if i don't have any i don't feel any worse than normal. Also i seem to be pretty resistant to caffeine now. I can have a coffee and go to sleep straight after no problem.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I'm weird in that i drink a lot of caffeine. Usually 2 or 3 coffees, a tea and a pre workout drink pumped full of the stuff every day and yet if i don't have any i don't feel any worse than normal. Also i seem to be pretty resistant to caffeine now. I can have a coffee and go to sleep straight after no problem.

Sounds like you have very low caffeine sensitivity. One cup of strong coffee (about 200mg caffeine) and I feel a massive high.

Soldato
I'm trying out coming off coffee cold turkey as well. I'm about a week in and have felt absolutely no different to when I was drinking it daily (only 2 cups maximum mind you, then one or two of tea).

Probably just have very low sensitivity as well.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I'm trying out coming off coffee cold turkey as well. I'm about a week in and have felt absolutely no different to when I was drinking it daily (only 2 cups maximum mind you, then one or two of tea).

Probably just have very low sensitivity as well.

How's it going?

I've still not touched any caffeine since April 4th, so been off the hard stuff for a month now. I feel amazing! My energy levels are consistent and mornings no longer suck. The biggest surprise was I was up at 5am a couple Monday's ago, watching GoT, went to the gym by 7am, then came home and did a full day of work and didn't once feel tired.

I have been going to the gym 5 days a week because my sleep is so much better I am recovering quicker. I also find going to the gym does wonders for my mood and energy levels, it's a addictive. Something I haven't noticed in the past 16 years of weight training, because I'd always taken caffeine to fuel my workouts.

Permabanned
Doesn't really affect me unless I drink about three strong cups within a couple of hours or so then I get palpitations. Switch between tea and coffee having a few cups most days, but have never felt like I'm going cold turkey for lack of caffeine if I skip it.

Funny how people are affected in different ways.

Energy drinks on the other hand...bloody hell. A few of them and I feel like I'm about to have a heart attack.

Man of Honour
I’ve only drunk coffee for the past fifty odd years, never tea, it makes me feel mildly nauseous just to smell it.
I’ll fix a cup of tea for my wife, but I have to lean back after pouring the boiling water over the tea bag, otherwise I’ll get that moist feeling inside my mouth, which usually occurs as a signal that I’m going to throw up.
Knock on wood, it’s never come to that, please God it never does.
I probably drink four or five cups per day of good coffee, French, or Dutch, or Jamaican Blue Mountain, I don’t get a jolt, just a contented feeling, the stuff that jolts me, giving rise to an involuntary little shake of the head, is a café solo in Spain, or um bica in Portugal, like an egg cupful of 100% uncut, strong, hot coffee.
I always back those up with a coñac, it eases the head shake, and tastes good too.

Soldato
How's it going?

I've still not touched any caffeine since April 4th, so been off the hard stuff for a month now. I feel amazing! My energy levels are consistent and mornings no longer suck. The biggest surprise was I was up at 5am a couple Monday's ago, watching GoT, went to the gym by 7am, then came home and did a full day of work and didn't once feel tired.

I have been going to the gym 5 days a week because my sleep is so much better I am recovering quicker. I also find going to the gym does wonders for my mood and energy levels, it's a addictive. Something I haven't noticed in the past 16 years of weight training, because I'd always taken caffeine to fuel my workouts.

Honestly? Don't feel any different. Guess caffeine just works for me (in that it does absolutely nothing for me except taste good). I initially came off it to see if my tinnitus symptoms would lessen but I haven't noticed that either.

Back
Top Bottom