• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can a game kill a GPU?

Soldato
I've requested a refund for the New world game
It's not the game that is the problem but EVGA with their cheaply made 3000 series FTW3 cards, this has been going on even before this game, other games were bricking these cards too, check EVGAs forum for the 3000 series since day one their whole forum section is only full of issues with these cards and never ending RMAs and same issue appears again, even with a so called fixed card. Reality is this is an EVGA problem nothing more.

Some one said a 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 also popped, others saying 6000 series from AMD too but zero proof of that and not seen any complaints on AMDS forums or reddit regarding failed cards because of this game. No other AIBs either apart from one with a Gigabyte 3090 card said his failed while playing the game but again maybe his card was already a faulty one and it just failed at the wrong time while using this game but again who knows whats true, but what is true is on EVGAs forums of all the owners on the 3000 FTW3 cards that are fuming as most of them had more than one rma at a cost of $200/200 Euro sending the card back to EVGA , one guy has had 4 x $200 thats $800 in rma for a card they claim they fixed on his first rma and still having the same issue in the end.

Nothing more than an EVGA issue with badly designed cards with cheap components and sold as a premium card.:rolleyes:.. because they thought our reputation can make us profit more while we cheap out, all they have done now is damaged their reputation for good. They lost me for good after their cheap 2080ti kingpin and now this with their FTW3 3000 series cards, funny part I was waiting on their list and started reading all the issues with them while waiting for a pair of 3090 ftw3 from them, after reading all the issues I went and looked at their cards tear down and realised why they failed they were cheaply made and purchased something better instead..

You own a 3090 FE not one has been damaged by this game, so don't worry and the game makers even sent a patch that was not really needed to make sure no other EVGA cards go pop and to cover themselves from getting a bad rap for their game causing hardware failures, the game does nothing other games do, it's only doing normal DirectX calls and if a gpu can't handle that then it's a card that has a hardware issue or they might as well say it's not compatible with DirectX.:cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
You own a 3090 FE not one has been damaged by this game, so don't worry and the game makers even sent a patch that was not really needed to make sure no other EVGA cards go pop and to cover themselves from getting a bad rap for their game causing hardware failures, the game does nothing other games don't do, it's only doing normal DirectX calls and if a gpu can't handle that then it's a card that has a hardware issue or they might as well say it's not compatible with DirectX.:cry:
EVGA (and certain other companies) must be absolutely delighted that the morons who call themselves "journalists" in the tech space have largely pointed the finger at the game, rather than the cheaply-made, badly-designed cards that can't handle running certain titles without exploding. Everywhere I look, bar some more clued-in places like r/Hardware, I see comments blaming Amazon and talking about class action lawsuits against them. People are so easily lead up the garden path.

Soldato
EVGA (and certain other companies) must be absolutely delighted that the morons who call themselves "journalists" in the tech space have largely pointed the finger at the game, rather than the cheaply-made, badly-designed cards that can't handle running certain titles without exploding. Everywhere I look, bar some more clued-in places like r/Hardware, I see comments blaming Amazon and talking about class action lawsuits against them. People are so easily lead up the garden path.

Nothing to do with the game, I used it on my Palit Gamerocks 3090s and not a single problem on both cards. I checked if the game was doing anything funny and all I see is normal DirectX calls and the menu goes into high frame rates like a lot of games do, but they stopped that now with a patch too, so I don't know and I didn't see anything strange on that game my end and works fine on my setup and I run dual 3090s and never cap the frame rates.

The EVGA FTW3 cards were exploding even before this game and on other games and benchmark tools, so are the other games and tools at fault too ? It's just a design and cheap component issue on the EGVA cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Since when has EVGA gone bad wth there gpu's?

They were classed as the best and most relaible gpu's fopr nvidia at least

Whats the best one?

It's not the game that is the problem but EVGA with their cheaply made 3000 series FTW3 cards, this has been going on even before this game, other games were bricking these cards too, check EVGAs forum for the 3000 series since day one their whole forum section is only full of issues with these cards and never ending RMAs and same issue appears again, even with a so called fixed card. Reality is this is an EVGA problem nothing more.

Some one said a 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 also popped, others saying 6000 series from AMD too but zero proof of that and not seen any complaints on AMDS forums or reddit regarding failed cards because of this game. No other AIBs either apart from one with a Gigabyte 3090 card said his failed while playing the game but again maybe his card was already a faulty one and it just failed at the wrong time while using this game but again who knows whats true, but what is true is on EVGAs forums of all the owners on the 3000 FTW3 cards that are fuming as most of them had more one rma at a cost of $200/200 Euro sending the card back to EVGA , one guy has had 4 x $200 thats $800 in rma for a card they claim they fixed on his first rma and still having the same issue in the end.

Nothing more than an EVGA issue with badly designed cards with cheap components and sold as a premium card.:rolleyes:.. because they thought our reputation can make us profit more while we cheap out, all they have done now is damaged their reputation for good. They lost me for good after their cheap 2080ti kingpin and now this with their FTW3 3000 series cards, funny part I was waiting on their list and started reading all the issues with them while waiting for a pair of 3090 ftw3 from them, after reading all the issues I went and looked at their cards tear down and realised why they failed they were cheaply made and purchased something better instead..

You own a 3090 FE not one has been damaged by this game, so don't worry and the game makers even sent a patch that was not really needed to make sure no other EVGA cards go pop and to cover themselves from getting a bad rap for their game causing hardware failures, the game does nothing other games don't do, it's only doing normal DirectX calls and if a gpu can't handle that then it's a card that has a hardware issue or they might as well say it's not compatible with DirectX.:cry:

Yea i got a refund mainly because i wasnt feeling the game.

All i was doing is going to some place, fetching some stufff and talking to a mission giver.

the combat was pretty cool and reminded me of valheim. I can always change my mind and rebuy it.

The game ran surprisingly well on my 13 inch razer blade laptop that only has a 1650 mobile gpu!!!

Associate

Some interesting thoughts here. He's mostly laying blame at the Nvidia. I do think its interesting that he talks about EVGA specifically having fuses on their cards that most people don't. So my thought is that maybe that's why they seem to be having more failures. Everyones 3090s are drawing too much power in the game, but theirs has a fuse to blow.

Caporegime
Should not be possible for software to damage hardware, period.

Either EVGA are doing something odd with their cards or if its more widespread its Nvidia's problem.

Caporegime
Read that apparently amd 6800xt/6900xt are bricking too, think these developers need to have a look at their game.....

Wonder if it also down to the overall vastly increased ambient temp.

Associate
New World patch incoming today that caps the fps on the menu screen so hopefully no more dead EVGA 3090 cards! :eek:
12121.jpg

Twitter link

Associate

Yup bottom line is that the developers are not doing anything wrong, if a piece of hardware is not tested well and pushed to the edge of tolerance then all the game is doing is revealing the existing problem, it's not causing it.

Soldato
my friend also owns a gigabyte 3090 and it died in valheim, me and him have been playing new world with his replacement and it’s been fine. It’s definitely not the games fault. Seems like cheap parts
Cheap parts on expensive cards.. now who would have thought it.

Soldato
Since when has EVGA gone bad wth there gpu's?

They were classed as the best and most relaible gpu's fopr nvidia at least

Whats the best one?
EVGA's Pascal cards were literally catching on fire at one point.

EVGA responded by sending out thermal pads to people, issuing a new BIOS with a more aggressive fan curve and eventually just plain replacing the affected models with FTW2 revisions. Personally, I've always thought that EVGA's coolers weren't that great. Most of the EVGA cards I've had have been pretty loud. The reason most people shill them so hard is because of their warranty service, but even that isn't so great for UK owners any more. They shut down their UK service centre, so now you have to ship the card all the way to Germany. Anecdotally, I've also found their email support to be pretty unhelpful and disinterested.

As for what's best right now, it's Asus without question. I really don't like Asus as a company either (and they're apparently bad for warranty service too), but they undisputably knocked it out of the park with their recent coolers. The Strix dominates everything in noise-normalised testing, but even the cheaper TUF models are better than almost anything else on the market.

Soldato
You mean ASUS who couldn't even mount a heatsink correctly?
The question was about current Nvidia cards, not two year old AMD cards which were so mediocre that none of the vendor-agnostic AIBs really cared to try. Asus are a great choice for RDNA2 cards though, now that you mention it. I'd still go with Sapphire though, personally.

Back
Top Bottom