Can anyone review this letter of complaint for me?

Capodecina
Soldato
CHANGE IT TO CAPITALS THROUGHOUT FOR GREATER IMPACT!

On a more serious note "the depression I'm currently being treated for" and "someone addicted to strong medication demanding more" says it all really. GPs have never had a very positive attitude to the NHS supporting addicts and in the current climate are getting less enthusiastic about it by the day.

Caporegime
OP
This is what i dont get op
What drug were you hoping to get? If dhc wasnt working, what do you think might?

Dihydrocodeine is a weak pain killer, even some non opioids are stronger.

Nefopam or tramadol I would try if it weren't for my existing medications. Flupirtine is a non-opioid that I would try but isn't licensed as far as I can see. There are also other less addictive drugs like cannibinoids and NMDA channel blockers but they aren't available either.

So the only option in the UK is strong opioids, preferably buprenorphine because it's the least addictive and actually produces ratings of "dislike" in humans unlike other opioids and because it contains naloxone so it reduces constipation, and from a doctors point of view can't be abused intravenously, half a dozen of those pills would last a month for the small amount I need for physio sessions. Morphine and oxycodone have greater addictive potential and so I would prefer not to use them. Though my friend in the crash is prescribed morphine and seems ok on them.

CHANGE IT TO CAPITALS THROUGHOUT FOR GREATER IMPACT!

On a more serious note "the depression I'm currently being treated for" and "someone addicted to strong medication demanding more" says it all really. GPs have never had a very positive attitude to the NHS supporting addicts and in the current climate are getting less enthusiastic about it by the day.

You can't get addicted to paracetamol and ibuprofen you know...

This has gone way past helping you with the letter..

WTF happened to "No drugs talk" and "No medical threads" ??

Tell me about it, I wanted advice on my letter of complaint like many other posters ask for advice on letters and cv's and I get ignorant people who think I'm addicted to drugs because I want some pain killers after being in a car crash. They are either "The Hysterical Masses" or trolls I guess, and probably binge drink every weekend as well to add some hypocrisy about drug use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Since you asked people to review the letter I'll do just that.

Having read the entire letter, the only thing I would point out is the unnecessary melodramatics. From what I understand you're trying to highlight the 'faults' that were made whilst you were being treated and hopefully achieve a remedy to the mistakes. Right now it sounds a little too "poor-me" and in parts rather facetious, particularly with lines such as "considering it's modern day England it's scarily reminiscent of the prospect of surgery in the Victorian era".

If it were me, I'd simply lay out the course of events and then explain why you were disappointed with the service, finishing by asking what can be done to resolve the situation.

Good luck!

Agreed - purely from the point of view of the letter, it's a little melodramatic. Lay the course of events out in simple English, then add a short paragraph about why you feel disappointed in the treatment received. It makes you come across as better, and will allow whoever reads it to focus on the complaint, rather than on an overly wordy letter.

Also, have a look at George Orwell's five rules for effective writing. They're fantastic.

Soldato
Exactly my thinking tefal, he is referncing drugs that are not licenced due to their dodgy effects, yet hasnt mentioned nsaids at any stage, truely odd. One might almost think that killing pain isnt the goal.

Capodecina
Soldato
... You can't get addicted to paracetamol and ibuprofen you know...
It sounds very much as if you have managed - you do realise that an addiction doesn't have to be physical, don't you?

Reading through this thread, it sounds as if you consistently mislead your GP(s) - maybe they have spotted that fact?

"private MRI results pending" . . . "doctor wouldn't refer me for an MRI/imaging due to guidelines, whereas the physio recommended it and has referred me for one" Ho hum, ho hum . . . :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
or the more common powerful NSAIDs but they don't have a high which is why you've so conveniently forgotten them.

I said I tried naproxen and take ibuprofen good lord. Do you only want to see the worst in people Tefal?

Exactly my thinking tefal, he is referncing drugs that are not licenced due to their dodgy effects, yet hasnt mentioned nsaids at any stage, truely odd. One might almost think that killing pain isnt the goal.

I've been taking max GSL dose of ib and paracetamol from day one! Many drugs are not licensed due to economic reasons like patents expiring, eg bupropion for depression, not necessarily because of deadly side effects.

Do why would you not try volterol instead of the ibuprofen you are regularly taking?
Or something similar in nsaids design rather than opoid?

I tried naproxen, but like my driver friend who is prescribed it, ended up throwing up while trying to swallow the chalky things and gave them back to the pharmacy, reading the bnf I was sure there was an enteric coated version but doctor says he couldn't find one so I don't know.

In any case it didn't seem to offer additional help, and the efficacy seems the same as high dose ibuprofen looking at studies. NSAID's and paracetamol seem to be effective for me at least for the background pain, but those severe episodes of achy type pain which are brought on by seemingly nothing (I am guessing spasms or cramp), they aren't effective, nor would you really expect them to be I guess because of how they work.

Really now most of the background pain has died down I just need something for physio, I was just so angry they wouldn't give me anything strong when I was in agony a week ago, which is why I'm writing the complaint letter, I feel it was unethical, even if they did think there was a possibility I could abuse it.

Wiki says Buprenorphine can't be taken orally.

It's sub lingual technically, IE dissolves under the tongue, you can also get weekly patches. But I don't need 24/7 opioids.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm angry they dont resort to the super strong stuff because you tell them you are sore.
Interesting.

Need a wall knocked down? Get the rocket launchers out and prep the nukes, dont start with the sledgehammer, that would be unethical.

I hope you find your relief, i hope it isnt from stronger drugs.

Caporegime
OP
Since you asked people to review the letter I'll do just that.

Having read the entire letter, the only thing I would point out is the unnecessary melodramatics. From what I understand you're trying to highlight the 'faults' that were made whilst you were being treated and hopefully achieve a remedy to the mistakes. Right now it sounds a little too "poor-me" and in parts rather facetious, particularly with lines such as "considering it's modern day England it's scarily reminiscent of the prospect of surgery in the Victorian era".

If it were me, I'd simply lay out the course of events and then explain why you were disappointed with the service, finishing by asking what can be done to resolve the situation.

Good luck!

Thank you, I had already taken some of that out, I tend to get a little carried away when writing letters of complaint, you should see the one I wrote to moonpig! I think part of it is trying to add a little humour though, but given the subject matter I'd probably be better off without it.

So you illegally self-medicate for your anxiety AND take all the drugs your doctor gives you for the same thing because he doesn't know you're medicating yourself?

And this has been going on for years.

But you don't have any dependency on drugs, no?

And you wonder why you just can't shake that anxiety?

Open your eyes mate.

Don't have generalised anxiety problems any more like I used to, just specific situations, and panic attacks happening due to traumas like a crash are normal as the A&E doctor said. I'm prescribed too little of any one particular anxiety medication to become addicted to it either, I use them for sleep now with my doctors knowledge. I just have social anxiety, which doesn't respond to those meds anyway.

Maybe you should talk to the Doctor about the illegal drug use. It's a random thought as I have no qualification to offer drug advice but perhaps there is something you ought to address that isn't about not getting enough drugs for whiplash.

In any case I am not sure what your letter would achieve.

I've never used opioids like that and would prefer not to use them at all because they are so addictive, same as nearly everyone else who is prescribed them for pain. If I drank alcohol instead on occasion which is a legal drug would you suggest that I was asking for opioids for abuse purposes or is that different somehow because of an arbitrary legal classification?

As to your question the letter would achieve a better quality of care for other patients in my situation, ie severe pain due to acute muscular skeletal injuries.

Hmm angry they dont resort to the super strong stuff because you tell them you are sore.

Should severe pain not be treated then? Let's send those cancer patients home with paracetamol and codeine yeah!

How long have you been taking the medication for?

Since, the car crash, nearly 3 weeks.

What about acupuncture? Have you tried that to help relieve you of pain etc? Failing that, what about a visit to A&E and complain about how much pain you are in.

Physio suggested it, but questionable efficacy, risks and I don't like needles! :p

Pain is episodic, by the time I got to see a doctor it may have stopped. And it is a waste of resources for A&E do be doing that, that's what GP's are supposed to be for.

Last edited:
Associate
With reference to the letter no one has pointed out that your dates are all over the place fix that first. I have to agree with others that it just sounds like a rant as well. I am not a medical professional but I would get the impression that your letter would get put up on the wall at the practice and the GP's would actually get a pack on the pact for not giving you what you wanted. I was once in a car accident as well and was knocked off my bike. This resulted in a broken left scapula and at least 5 or 6 broken ribs. I was walking wounded to the hospital and then xrayed and I only left the hospital then with a box of co-codamol admittedly they were the stronger percription only ones. I did feel a little out of it when taking them but got throught it in the end. I cant help but feel that your over insistance on something stronger has perhaps put several GP's off percribing you anything stronger.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for that, looking at my calendar app I had gone two weeks backwards because of the July-August change. :p Yes there is an element of ranting as I'm sure you would understand if you had been in such severe pain and doctors dismissing it.

I was actually not very adamant at all when talking to the GP's despite my melodramaticism in the letter, more hinting than anything, ie "is there anything stronger" or "physio says treatment is limited by weak analgesia" which is entirely true btw. I think I only once asked directly a "stronger opioid" in general because the pain was so bad at that point, that I was getting annoyed at having to convince the doctor I was a genuine patient and not a drug seeker which with my history he should have known by now. In years of seeing him I have never once requested opioids for anything other than this one time for a car crash which I think is fairly justifiable. The hospital pharmacist said that I would probably be prescribed oxycodone if my whiplash pain got bad, alas. The fact that he and the physio both suggested strong opioids leads me to believe that the issue is more with those specific gp's than the drugs being wrong for the situation.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

Thanks a lot, that really makes me feel better. :p

Does highlight what I was saying earlier about alternative pain killers needing to be available though, lots of non-opioids and even non-psychoactives that can be used to treat pain these days that are not licensed in this country. The use of non-opioid psychoactive analgesics like cannabinoids, ketamine and flupirtine should be investigated further for break-through pain if nothing else, if dependence and side effects are a concern, they can even reduce the reliable on opioids.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom