can someone identify the bottleneck/problem?

Associate
Hello i am experiencing fps drops and stutters playing games for some time now, i wanted to upgrade and posted about it, there i got info about various gpu/cpu, components compatibility, etc.. then i posted a game capture using afterburner/rivatuner stats and i got answered that it doesnt seem that my components are overloaded and that they have plenty of performance to spare.
Someone pointed out if my BIOS was updated and it wasn't so i did the lastest F18 update on my Gigabyte H510M H and still no change.
So i made another capture of a CS2 deathmatch session where i instead used the advanced nvidia overlay: Session Capture (100 and lower drops start at around 1.10 min and go on)
I game on low video settings: CS2 settings
Here is my setup:
- MOTHERBORAD: Gigabyte H510M H
- CPU: Intel I5-10400F
- GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3060 8Go GDDR6, OpenGL 4.6, Microsoft® DirectX® 12, Vulkan API, NVIDIA GPU Boost™
- RAM: 16Go
- SSD: 1To NVMe
- 3 frontal regulable ventilators + 1 in the back
- CPU cooler unknown
If you need me to run any over test using programs or else no problem i just want to know what to upgrade and if even needed

Man of Honour
i put my money on vrm temperatures. i'm not sure if the board you have will have a vrm temp monitor (most low end boards dont)
i guess the easy way to test is to drop the graphics settings to the lowest and run in 720p - this will put more strain on the cpu
if you get more stuttering/intermittent frame drops but the cpu temps are ok, then yeah...most likely overheating vrms

Associate
OP
i put my money on vrm temperatures. i'm not sure if the board you have will have a vrm temp monitor (most low end boards dont)
i guess the easy way to test is to drop the graphics settings to the lowest and run in 720p - this will put more strain on the cpu
if you get more stuttering/intermittent frame drops but the cpu temps are ok, then yeah...most likely overheating vrms
I downloaded a program called HWINFO that gives detailed devices information, here is what i came up with: board info / board info 2 / board info 3
I did a 720p test HERE but then i realized nvidia overlay doesn't have CPU temp, so i did another with rivatuner HERE, for comparison HERE is a 1080p session with CPU temp.
I see no change in CPU temp nor does lowering res and video values preset setting avoid these drops and stutters. Is it 100% the motherboard then? Is there a way to confirm? What else could it be?
Thx for your help

Man of Honour
board info 3
the VRM temperature is the "VRM MOS" on this pic
play a game and see what temperatures get up to

Is it 100% the motherboard then? Is there a way to confirm? What else could it be?
if the VRM temps are less than 90c then its not likely to be the board
are you using geforce experience too?

i know it's a bit of a pain in the arse, have you done a full windows reinstall to make sure it's not a windows/program setting issue?

Man of Honour
I would agree with tamzzy on this as the vrm's on that board have no cooling at all and if any throttling is going on this would be the prime culprit. If the vrm temps are excedding their throttling temp you could buy something like these to stick on them and try again.

Soldato
65w cpu he has so even low end vrm can handle that.
Run prime95 avx or linpack to really test the CPU proper to see vrm temps since games won't hit the cpu anyway as hard as synthetic test will.

Man of Honour
65w cpu he has so even low end vrm can handle that.
yes and no.

65w is the base tdp when the processor is at PL1 and non-boosted and running at base clocks. for the 10400f, PL2 pulls more than double that (134w)
i wonder whether it is because the VRMs are throttling at PL2, then falls back to PL1 to cool down, which is what the OP is seeing as stuttering

Last edited:
Soldato
yes and no.

65w is the base tdp when the processor is at PL1 and non-boosted and running at base clocks. for the 10400f, PL2 pulls more than double that (134w)
i wonder whether it is because the VRMs are throttling at PL2, then falls back to PL1 to cool down, which is what the OP is seeing as stuttering

Definitely much more no than yes form my experience.

Man of Honour
for the 10400f, PL2 pulls more than double that (134w)
I'd be surprised if that was the case. A 10400/10400F while gaming is unlikely to exceed PL1. The 11400 is a lot more power hungry (especially when the power limits are unlocked), but the 10400 is pretty modest for a hyperthreaded CPU.

The OP's videos are unintelligible to me (YouTube clips usually are) so I can't contribute much from viewing them :o

Associate
OP
the VRM temperature is the "VRM MOS" on this pic
play a game and see what temperatures get up to

if the VRM temps are less than 90c then its not likely to be the board
are you using geforce experience too?

i know it's a bit of a pain in the arse, have you done a full windows reinstall to make sure it's not a windows/program setting issue?
I did a 30 min CS2 session HERE are the vrm temps it went from 44 to 56. I didn't reinstall this was a built gaming pc from HERE windows came with it, maybe i did the windows 11 update but really not sure cant remember exactly.
Yes i think i use geforce experience, i used it to downgrade the graphic settings and set cs2 to performance after watching a video saying to do that.
I would rather reinstall windows after checking the other options, do i make a stress test like Cyber-Mav suggested?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd be surprised if that was the case. A 10400/10400F while gaming is unlikely to exceed PL1. The 11400 is a lot more power hungry (especially when the power limits are unlocked), but the 10400 is pretty modest for a hyperthreaded CPU.

The OP's videos are unintelligible to me (YouTube clips usually are) so I can't contribute much from viewing them :o
would there be another overlay program that makes a video session intelligible?

Associate
download speccy and u will see specs, cpu cooler, ram memory, psu and others. i believe its 2x8gb ram, just dont know is it 3200mhz or lower. case name. i see you got 4 fans, any space above motherboard for fans at least 2. after seeing your yt i can see cpu usage higher than gpu. u need better cpu with higher clock. cs2 is still cpu demanding plus load balance. geforce is ok. i got geforce and no problem with fps. go on yt and check msi afterburner osd setup. so next time when you post yt, do fps max, avg and 1% low.

best combo in your case will be 11700k or kf, good z590 motherboard and 280/ 360 aio, or noctua nh d15 or something close to noctua. you can keep 3060. also, are you playing on 1080p monitor. do you know refresh rate.

Man of Honour
i know but maybe you need another type of info, like a stress test video capture or something
It's hard to explain, but I think I have to be playing the game myself, to actually feel and perceive the FPS and the drops.

In a video, I can't really see anything and while the % usage implies something, it is meaningless to my eyes if I'm not playing it.

Soldato
May just be the H510M chipset in conjunction with a weak VRM is having power problems. 10th Gen Intel CPU will be limited to 2933MHz whatever RAM is fitted. Looks like the RAM is running at 2666MHz in the HWINFO screenshot even though the modules are rated to 3200MHz. I'm not implying it is the problem just there are limitations to that platform.

Next would be the PSU being a bit weak. What model is it?

Maybe use MSI Afterburner to limit the FPS to say 90 to see if that helps with frame drops.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I did a 30 min CS2 session HERE are the vrm temps it went from 44 to 56. I didn't reinstall this was a built gaming pc from HERE windows came with it, maybe i did the windows 11 update but really not sure cant remember exactly.
Yes i think i use geforce experience, i used it to downgrade the graphic settings and set cs2 to performance after watching a video saying to do that.
it's less likely to be the VRMs then, if the temperatures are correctly reported.
the only other thing i can think off is if you've set a temperature limit on the gpu within geforce experience

Soldato
its the CPU. at 1080 and defo at 720 it cant keep up, i had the same one for a little time and at 1440 no problem but anything under its 100% load all the time. my 3070 would site at 70% usage and i would get mega FPS drops.

CRANK the GPU setting UP to try and unload the CPU a little.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
download speccy and u will see specs, cpu cooler, ram memory, psu and others. i believe its 2x8gb ram, just dont know is it 3200mhz or lower. case name. i see you got 4 fans, any space above motherboard for fans at least 2. after seeing your yt i can see cpu usage higher than gpu. u need better cpu with higher clock. cs2 is still cpu demanding plus load balance. geforce is ok. i got geforce and no problem with fps. go on yt and check msi afterburner osd setup. so next time when you post yt, do fps max, avg and 1% low.

best combo in your case will be 11700k or kf, good z590 motherboard and 280/ 360 aio, or noctua nh d15 or something close to noctua. you can keep 3060. also, are you playing on 1080p monitor. do you know refresh rate.
CPU: Speccy link
GRAPHICS: Speccy link (=> monitor res + refresh rate)
RAM: Speccy link
MOTHERBOARD: Speccy link
STORAGE: Speccy link
OPTICAL DRIVE: Speccy link
SUMMARY: Speccy link
did not find the CPU cooler nor the case name tho did i miss something? In case you are missing something: Technical description
Space for fans above motherboard => case pic
I was doing the new video capture but it seems the fps max and low 1% are stuck i try to restart

Soldato
do you have MSI afterburner?

play a game for 10 that look at GPU temps.
the CPU at 1080 is 100% a limiting factor, but upping the in game setting can help with this lowering them just makes it worse

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom