can someone identify the bottleneck/problem?

Associate
Hello i am experiencing fps drops and stutters playing games for some time now, i wanted to upgrade and posted about it, there i got info about various gpu/cpu, components compatibility, etc.. then i posted a game capture using afterburner/rivatuner stats and i got answered that it doesnt seem that my components are overloaded and that they have plenty of performance to spare.
Someone pointed out if my BIOS was updated and it wasn't so i did the lastest F18 update on my Gigabyte H510M H and still no change.
So i made another capture of a CS2 deathmatch session where i instead used the advanced nvidia overlay: Session Capture (100 and lower drops start at around 1.10 min and go on)
I game on low video settings: CS2 settings
Here is my setup:
- MOTHERBORAD: Gigabyte H510M H
- CPU: Intel I5-10400F
- GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3060 8Go GDDR6, OpenGL 4.6, Microsoft® DirectX® 12, Vulkan API, NVIDIA GPU Boost™
- RAM: 16Go
- SSD: 1To NVMe
- 3 frontal regulable ventilators + 1 in the back
- CPU cooler unknown
If you need me to run any over test using programs or else no problem i just want to know what to upgrade and if even needed

Associate
OP
i put my money on vrm temperatures. i'm not sure if the board you have will have a vrm temp monitor (most low end boards dont)
i guess the easy way to test is to drop the graphics settings to the lowest and run in 720p - this will put more strain on the cpu
if you get more stuttering/intermittent frame drops but the cpu temps are ok, then yeah...most likely overheating vrms
I downloaded a program called HWINFO that gives detailed devices information, here is what i came up with: board info / board info 2 / board info 3
I did a 720p test HERE but then i realized nvidia overlay doesn't have CPU temp, so i did another with rivatuner HERE, for comparison HERE is a 1080p session with CPU temp.
I see no change in CPU temp nor does lowering res and video values preset setting avoid these drops and stutters. Is it 100% the motherboard then? Is there a way to confirm? What else could it be?
Thx for your help

Associate
OP
the VRM temperature is the "VRM MOS" on this pic
play a game and see what temperatures get up to

if the VRM temps are less than 90c then its not likely to be the board
are you using geforce experience too?

i know it's a bit of a pain in the arse, have you done a full windows reinstall to make sure it's not a windows/program setting issue?
I did a 30 min CS2 session HERE are the vrm temps it went from 44 to 56. I didn't reinstall this was a built gaming pc from HERE windows came with it, maybe i did the windows 11 update but really not sure cant remember exactly.
Yes i think i use geforce experience, i used it to downgrade the graphic settings and set cs2 to performance after watching a video saying to do that.
I would rather reinstall windows after checking the other options, do i make a stress test like Cyber-Mav suggested?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd be surprised if that was the case. A 10400/10400F while gaming is unlikely to exceed PL1. The 11400 is a lot more power hungry (especially when the power limits are unlocked), but the 10400 is pretty modest for a hyperthreaded CPU.

The OP's videos are unintelligible to me (YouTube clips usually are) so I can't contribute much from viewing them :o
would there be another overlay program that makes a video session intelligible?

Associate
OP
download speccy and u will see specs, cpu cooler, ram memory, psu and others. i believe its 2x8gb ram, just dont know is it 3200mhz or lower. case name. i see you got 4 fans, any space above motherboard for fans at least 2. after seeing your yt i can see cpu usage higher than gpu. u need better cpu with higher clock. cs2 is still cpu demanding plus load balance. geforce is ok. i got geforce and no problem with fps. go on yt and check msi afterburner osd setup. so next time when you post yt, do fps max, avg and 1% low.

best combo in your case will be 11700k or kf, good z590 motherboard and 280/ 360 aio, or noctua nh d15 or something close to noctua. you can keep 3060. also, are you playing on 1080p monitor. do you know refresh rate.
CPU: Speccy link
GRAPHICS: Speccy link (=> monitor res + refresh rate)
RAM: Speccy link
MOTHERBOARD: Speccy link
STORAGE: Speccy link
OPTICAL DRIVE: Speccy link
SUMMARY: Speccy link
did not find the CPU cooler nor the case name tho did i miss something? In case you are missing something: Technical description
Space for fans above motherboard => case pic
I was doing the new video capture but it seems the fps max and low 1% are stuck i try to restart

Associate
OP
download speccy and u will see specs, cpu cooler, ram memory, psu and others. i believe its 2x8gb ram, just dont know is it 3200mhz or lower. case name. i see you got 4 fans, any space above motherboard for fans at least 2. after seeing your yt i can see cpu usage higher than gpu. u need better cpu with higher clock. cs2 is still cpu demanding plus load balance. geforce is ok. i got geforce and no problem with fps. go on yt and check msi afterburner osd setup. so next time when you post yt, do fps max, avg and 1% low.

best combo in your case will be 11700k or kf, good z590 motherboard and 280/ 360 aio, or noctua nh d15 or something close to noctua. you can keep 3060. also, are you playing on 1080p monitor. do you know refresh rate.
New session fps max and 1% low still kinda stuck but maybe its normal. Some people were saying my temps and % usage were ok tho, i reach to 200+ fps in normal match its just the drops the problem do i really need to replace this much or is it something else like windows or some secondary component like ram / ssd / ...

Associate
OP
May just be the H510M chipset in conjunction with a weak VRM is having power problems. 10th Gen Intel CPU will be limited to 2933MHz whatever RAM is fitted. Looks like the RAM is running at 2666MHz in the HWINFO screenshot even though the modules are rated to 3200MHz. I'm not implying it is the problem just there are limitations to that platform.

Next would be the PSU being a bit weak. What model is it?

Maybe use MSI Afterburner to limit the FPS to say 90 to see if that helps with frame drops.
I tried searching for my psu, no serial number of amazon page, no sticker on the back of the case, i tried booting to windows prompt command and typed "wmic bios get serialnumber" but i only got " default string" is there another way?
I can type fps_max 90 on the CS2 console but thats basically where my drops go if thats the only way i can get stability i would need to upgrade, and need to know if my psu is compatible with new components

Associate
OP
its the CPU. at 1080 and defo at 720 it cant keep up, i had the same one for a little time and at 1440 no problem but anything under its 100% load all the time. my 3070 would site at 70% usage and i would get mega FPS drops.

CRANK the GPU setting UP to try and unload the CPU a little.
i optimized trough geforce here are the previous settings and here are the new settings.
HERE is a short session: i can see both CPU and GPU go up in temp and percentage and same drops with more downs stability. I still ran on 1080p with 16:9 aspect ratio, i noticed that there is no 1440p option but there is a 1440X900 on 4:3 aspect ratio and a 1440X1080 on 16:10 aspect ratio.
About afterburner HERE is a video with temps and stuff with my normal graphic settings

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i did not say u will find case name. was just asking if you know but ok i saw photos. u got stock cooler. u can try another one, better. that one is ********. just check online the best air cooler for 10400f. also 2 fans on top case, exhaust. front intake, rear exhaust. that will fix vrm temp plus better air cooler. try that option first. but still, be ready to upgrade cpu, mb, psu and ram.

include other staff in your videos, not only fps. told you to check on yt how to do msi afterburner osd setup. also, check nvidia control panel, manage 3 d setting and max frame rate. is it off. cs2 console when u start playing type fps_max 0.
CPU COOLER
FAN FOR TOP CASE X2
I thought thats what you asked for "do fps max, avg and 1% low." so i did one just for those, if you want the other info check THIS from previous post.
I thought my vrm temp were ok from 44° to 55° after 30 min game session i dont understand why you are so temp/fan oriented.
Yes max frame rate is off, just tried playing with fps_max 0 but no change on drops/stutters, i think its meant to give a boost in fps for those who have stability but doesnt prevent those who dont from going down, i remember "b1t" a pro player saying it was both a good and bad command pc healthwise

Associate
OP
I think something else is the problem cou and GPU look fine not running hot and utilisation is low

What other app and ceap do you have running in the background
on videos i had multiple chrome windows + geforce or (MSI+rivatuner), without just chrome windows and i tried to close them already doesnt work, also i have cs2 on high priority in task manager

Associate
OP
The single tower Assassin or the twin tower for a bit of future proofing are a good choice for a mid-range system.

Your system looks like a version of this widely used case below in it's various forums. Kolink I think badge the fans a lot in the cheaper cases and use a combined 6 pin connector for power and RGB to the fans. They usually use a common fan hub with a remote control. Sometimes the fan speed is variable but more often than not just run at a fixed speed.

If you have a similar front design with a tempered front then the front fans don't do much more than churn air as the fans are restricted by the plastic shroud. I know because a friend took one in part exchange and played around to get it breathing better. Mostly fans in the top as suggested are a good idea.
yes i saw on remote control it is Kolink: case with light on / remote / back remote. I dont get about the badge of the fans they have a logo on it if thats what you mean, nor the technical therms. Do you want me to make a pic of the fans at rest?
I always turn off the light and i run it on auto but i could enhance the fans even tho you said they dont do much, but i've been said that my temps (cpu, gpu, vrm) are ok so why make a fan upgrade?

Associate
OP
Your cpu and GPU are not hitting throttling temps.

I don’t know what cs2 is like with ram but 16gb is getting tight now days, if you running chrome and other things too.
of 16GB i have 15.9 usable from system info, i only have CS2, crab game, PUBG, Totally accurate battlegrounds, and Tlauncher installed. Or does this mean nothing to the possible RAM problem? HERE are my RAM performances on task manager

Associate
OP
Everything is running fine. I think 150fps out of a 3060 at 1080 is good also. It’s just the horrible drops we need to identify.

I would defo upgrade ram to 32gb of 3200mhz. And close everything that’s doesn’t need to be open when gaming.
isn't my CPU blocking my RAM from going further than 2666 MHz tho? I think i remember someone saying that

Associate
OP
Everything is running fine. I think 150fps out of a 3060 at 1080 is good also. It’s just the horrible drops we need to identify.

I would defo upgrade ram to 32gb of 3200mhz. And close everything that’s doesn’t need to be open when gaming.
and yes absolutely if i could game on 200 fps or close without drops i would be fine. Also i noted that sometimes it feels like i m getting an fps drop but checking the counter it doesnt show, i wonder if "stutter" is the therm for it but thats also a main issue

Associate
OP
Well I would like 200 out of my system in some game but what I want I don’t get… also your monitor is 144hz so anything passed that is a waist.

Now I see the problem, you messing with setting to try and get a high frame rate. But your system is not capable of it.

You should turn on Vsync or Gsync in game and see how you get on
that makes a lot of sense thats why top players get 240 hz monitors, i searched if i should fps_max 144 but actually it favors drops below that so i should test a few numbers. I just tried with fps_max 100 in normal match and i dont get below 100 but i still get stutters.
Just saw tetras say that my motherboard may not support overclocking and i just remember that i overclocked my gpu a bit some time ago, HERE are my afterburner settings.
About nvidia settings i have vertical sync on global settings what should i switch to? => OPTIONS, here are my full 3D settings for CS2: 3D 1 / 3D 2 / 3D 3

Associate
OP
I don't think H510 supports memory overclocking, so yeah, you'd be limited to 2666 with a 10400, but if you buy 3200 it should just be downclocked to the maximum allowed. The exact behaviour (and if your intervention is needed) would depend on the memory that you buy.
i just remember that i overclocked my gpu a bit some time ago, HERE are my afterburner settings. Could it be whats causing the stutters?

Associate
OP

I tried restoring default MSI settings from overclocked and got about 50 less "normal" fps but i set cap to 160 and 144 on nvidia as now i know over 144 is a waste with my 144 MHz monitor, but the drops and above all the stutters are still there.

I then tried undervolting my gpu, turned vertical sync off and on, tried changing some settings through some anti-stutter CS2 ytb videos and nothing changed.

Then i checked a bottleneck calculator SITE to see what answer i would get: i searched my setup with "processor intense taks" as CS2 is CPU heavy and got a 43.8% bottleneck saying that my CPU is to weak for my 8g GPU, Tetras also said it could be the CPU so checking back page 1 Cyber-Mav suggested a CPU stress test so i ran Linpack, did a Bechmark test and then tried a few times to run a stress test first the 8GB, then 2GB but both times my pc almost instantly froze.

So it has to be my CPU right? Or that site is also untrustworthy?

I know you asked me for PSU info but i asked my vendor in my second message still no answer on that.

PS: for a moment i thought it was just that CS2 was not optimized yet but the dev recently included an setting meant to solve stuttering and while it did stabilize frametime a bit it didnt remove stutters.
Plus i also get abnormal fps drops and stutters just playing minecraft (TLauncher)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom