Poll: Can we stop with the 'pancake' crap?

What's better?

• Lysander

Votes: 81 9.5%
  • Pancake

Votes: 712 83.1%
  • Don't care he is on my ignore list.

Votes: 64 7.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
ok please explain how people who "don't care about the poll" voting for an option that is meaningless ruin the result?

It gives an inaccurate percentage. It's pretty bloody obvious.

Let's say a poll turned out like this:

Given your current knowledge and political beliefs, would you vote Conservative in the next election?

Yes
No
Pancake

For a question with a black and white answer, putting a stupid 'pancake' option in skews the percentage. You either will vote for them or you won't and the percentage reflects that. But now you can no longer say 78% of the polled forum would vote Conservative because some people voted for a meaningless option and in turn the percentage becomes meaningless.

without the pancake option i think you'd put more thought into the poll options.

This too. It encourage people not to give a crap.

Given your current knowledge and political beliefs, would you vote Conservative in the next election?

Yes
No
Pancake

For what is a black and white question, putting a stupid 'pancake' option in skews the percentage. You either will vote for them or you won't and the percentage reflects that. But now you can no longer say 78% of the polled forum would vote Conservative because some people voted for a meaningless option and in turn the percentage becomes meaningless.

You could always work out the percentage yourself it's really not that hard to add up the relevant results and convert it.

Associate
I always use pancake option as one of indifferent or dont care, if i prefer another option i will vote for it, yes no or pancake, use the pancake one to show how no ones actually cares about a specific poll?

Soldato
I always use pancake option as one of indifferent or dont care, if i prefer another option i will vote for it, yes no or pancake, use the pancake one to show how no ones actually cares about a specific poll?

People still vote pancake on polls where they do favour one of the other options, just for the lulz.

If the pancake option wasn't there, the user would either ignore the poll or put a little more thought into the other options.

Associate

Yes
No
Pancake

For a question with a black and white answer, putting a stupid 'pancake' option in skews the percentage. You either will vote for them or you won't and the percentage reflects that. But now you can no longer say 78% of the polled forum would vote Conservative because some people voted for a meaningless option and in turn the percentage becomes meaningless.

You honestly think if you post this in GD your going to get a serious response regardless of whether pancake is included or not :confused:

I mean the most popular topic for the past few weeks has been about the trial and tribulations of a Romanian cam girl, this isn't really the place for potent political debate :/

Caporegime

Yes
No
Pancake

no it means a certain percentage refused to answer.

it happens in most polls it doesn't affect the result at all, however it does make the maths more complicated if you want to miss represent the actuall result to come up with a completely meaningless statistic like

But now you can no longer say 78% of the polled forum

Because that would be a lie even if there were only yes or no options unless the poll was compulsory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom