Can you cook?

Soldato
I bet you can’t make KFC as good as they can :p

No, but not far off.

I made a deep fryer out of a gas bottle and gas burner, can put a whole turkey in it, in fact I have.

KFC use broilers, which are like deep fryers but pressurised so the moisture can't escape, and you are talking minimum £3k for a used gas fired one as they are commercial catering equipment, and no I couldn't make one myself lol.

Other than that though, you know they marinate the chicken in milk and potassium chloride, which you can buy (it's like a salt alternative) then make up your spice mix, herbs, spices and monosodium glutamate.

Caporegime
No, but not far off.

I made a deep fryer out of a gas bottle and gas burner, can put a whole turkey in it, in fact I have.

KFC use broilers, which are like deep fryers but pressurised so the moisture can't escape, and you are talking minimum £3k for a used gas fired one as they are commercial catering equipment, and no I couldn't make one myself lol.

Other than that though, you know they marinate the chicken in milk and potassium chloride, which you can buy (it's like a salt alternative) then make up your spice mix, herbs, spices and monosodium glutamate.
Ok forget KFC, but I bet you can’t make Big Mac sauce, or doner kebab :p

Soldato
Ok forget KFC, but I bet you can’t make Big Mac sauce, or doner kebab :p

Big Mac sauce never tried it.

Kebab yes, like a lamb doner (meat paste version not sliced lamb) and actually no I couldn't get that even close even after a few attempts, I mean what I made wasn't a bad tasting thing, but no nothing like a good quality donor "elephant leg".

Kofte or shish no problem though, and I can get those as good as a take away.

Soldato
Mayonnaise+ ketchup+mustard?

Its a good copycat, not a leaked secret lol.
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise, low fat if desired
  • 2 TBS relish
  • 1 1/2 TBS mustard
  • 1/2 TBS BBQ sauce
  • 1 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 salt

Soldato
8. The cooking isn’t the hard bit, it’s the good ingredients, the kit and most importantly the time.

I am no chef however as I’d be following recipes.

We’re very lucky that most of our friends (and family!) are in to their food and are great cooks.

Soldato
This for me. I struggle to see the benefit of spending more then a hour cooking (input time) in the evening when I can make a good healthy meal easily in that time or under. 6?

Absolutely. It’s why I really like Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute meals and his other “quick” cookbooks. He might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but they really expanded my weekday meal horizons. I probably need to dip back in to them to get some inspiration. The Doctor’s Kitchen has been very good for this too, especially from healthy meals POV.

There is however great joy in spending time and effort making a special meal, especially for friends and family.

Soldato
This for me. I struggle to see the benefit of spending more then a hour cooking (input time) in the evening when I can make a good healthy meal easily in that time or under. 6?
Absolutely. It’s why I really like Jamie Oliver’s 30 minute meals and his other “quick” cookbooks. He might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but they really expanded my weekday meal horizons. I probably need to dip back in to them to get some inspiration. The Doctor’s Kitchen has been very good for this too, especially from healthy meals POV.

There is however great joy in spending time and effort making a special meal, especially for friends and family.
I am a broken record on this but I really recommend giving a meal kit a go. The likes of Gousto or Mindful Chef. Even if you just rinse the intro offers. They deliver a box of exactly what you need, you don't have to think of anything - just pick up the card and follow. Once you've got a decent collection you can bin it off but retain all of the inspiration :p They even give you a recipe card folder.

Soldato
Literally out of the 10 people in the conversation not one knew how to make gravey.

Not one of them knows how to add granules to boiling water? :D

I reckon i'd be around a 6-7. There's a few meals i can make from scratch. I think my issue would be in a kitchen with lots of ingredients (like they do on a masterchef challenge) and not really knowing what to make.

Soldato
I guess I'm a 6 or 7 within my lanes I'm a pretty decent cook but have never bothered with Baking. I'm fairly reasonable on techniques but lack the motivation to push too hard. But excluding baking I'm not bad on breadth, done a reasonable amount of butchery, curing, smoking, brining etc.

Back
Top Bottom