Poll: Canadian Grand Prix 2018, Montréal - Race 7/21

Rate the 2018 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Permabanned
You can cut the prices all you like - eventually people will stop spending or watching if the product is consistently crap.

Cutting prices means more people will afford - don't forget we don't have races in many countries, and the distances are vast - thus the expenses to attend are large.
Paying per view makes the interest drop because even harder fans deny paying at some point. Because they can't afford to.

The teams will make money from selling actual cars.

Soldato
Predictable. Uncompetitive with the remaining 70% of the grid, occasionally competitive with the 30%

Last 4 years have been a one horse race for Mercedes, this is probably the first season that it looks like Mercedes are no longer holding such an advantage (no matter what they whinge about to FIA) and that is a must needed change for F1.

Permabanned
Three winners from the same three teams... The same three teams as the past three years. Or is it four.

Predictable. Uncompetitive with the remaining 70% of the grid, occasionally competitive with the 30%. What'll happen in France - a new track that F1 hasn't raced at since before some of the current drivers were born? I reckon that it is highly unlikely that McLaren, Force India, Williams, Renault (the home team), Sauber, Toro Rosso or Haas will win.

It is in every sport like this. Imagine football - how many teams outside Manchester and London can win the Premier League? How many tennisists whose names are not Federer and Nadal can win today? How many athletes can win gold medals?

Soldato
This means going against Formula 1's own developments and being the cutting edge of the automobile technology.
What you want is to go back to the 70s and 80s, all drivers have equal cars and not much aerodynamics and downforce.
That won't be F1 anymore.
That’s a bit of a jump from my original message? BSB/WSBK/MotoGP isn’t stuck in the 70s/80s and they don’t ignore aero either.

The difference is entertainment. Whatever’s necessary to improve the entertainment needs to happen, and I think most people agree that the lack of overtaking is the biggest problem yet where are the solutions?

I watched a world supersport race the other week where a rider started from the back of the grid and nearly won, and that’s without any gimmicky pit stops/team strategy, just pure speed and epic entertainment. You can regularly see riders start from 6th on the grid and go on to win a race yet in F1 that almost never happens unless there’s carnage in the first lap.

Poorly edited video but it sets the scene. I love bike and car racing but in terms of raw entertainment this is so much more engaging. F1 is becoming more like a soap opera every year.

In F1 aero is usually what allows the top teams to dominate as it’s so expensive to develop, that’s why they don’t want to get rid of it being at the centre of the car's performance.

My opinion is that someone like Ross.B should lead the development of an aero package that keeps the cars looking like an F1 car but seriously reduces turbulence so that we get the slipstream effect back. Let teams modify the standard package to within 5% of its standard form and the rest should be down to getting the most from mechanical grip e.g. chassis/suspension/engine etc. Lack of traction control in BSB has been incredibly effective as it stops the big teams spending silly money on development and keeps things closer.

Caporegime
2 out of 10.
Highlights were to long

Only good bits were lap 1 and the flag coming out early.
Why didn't she wave it on lap 20?

No one could over take. Again!

I also don't care about the tech or the cats being the fastest. Just want some gold entertainment.

This was so boring. Barely any better than Monaco. Only watching re runs from now on when I can skip through

Soldato
That race was a bit of a **** sandwich. Great first few laps with crashes and interesting ending with early flag, but bland filling between
What would have happened if Bottas had beaten Vettel at the very end after the early flag was waved before lap 70 was completed? Would Vettel have still taken the victory? Because apparently it's official once the flag is waved.

Soldato
Three winners from the same three teams... The same three teams as the past three years. Or is it four.

Predictable. Uncompetitive with the remaining 70% of the grid, occasionally competitive with the 30%. What'll happen in France - a new track that F1 hasn't raced at since before some of the current drivers were born? I reckon that it is highly unlikely that McLaren, Force India, Williams, Renault (the home team), Sauber, Toro Rosso or Haas will win. In fact I think it is highly unlikely any of these will challenge for a win, barring an act of god (that's bad weather to most of us).

You can cut the prices all you like - eventually people will stop spending or watching if the product is consistently crap.

Yep, you can almost guarantee it will be Merc, Ferrari or Red Bull that wins.

TBH many of the lesser racing events are more fun to watch, but they barely get any coverage.

Soldato
It is in every sport like this. Imagine football - how many teams outside Manchester and London can win the Premier League? How many tennisists whose names are not Federer and Nadal can win today? How many athletes can win gold medals?

Leicester say hello. I'm sure that Warwinka, Murray and Cilic do too.

You're missing the point. Yes, it is more likely that one from Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea will win the league over other teams and over a 38 game season. But the difference is that on any given day, any of those teams can be (and are) beaten by another team. That's currently impossible in F1 - you'd need six cars to break down or crash into each other.

I'm well aware that F1 has never been that competitive, but it has been far more competitive than it is today, and it needs to get back to there and then some if it is going to attract new viewers and fans.

I can’t stand the overexcited commentators anymore. You can tell when it gets dull just by listening to them trying to overcompensate.

Absolutely this. I was just finishing cooking the dinner yesterday, and Ted Kravitz suddenly dialled everything up to 11, shouting out in excitement. I stopped and went over to the TV for a closer look... of Vettel leaving the pit lane on his way to the grid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The Sky F1 commentators are only excited when Hamilton/Mercedes are winning, it's so evident it's pathetic really.
I think that's your bias speaking, there.

Crofty shouts out EVERY overtake and EVERY move as if it's the title winning move... the start of a GP is almost unbearable from all the SHOUTY voice.

Back
Top Bottom