Poll: Canadian Grand Prix 2022, Montreal - Race 9

Rate the 2022 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Thought I'd get this one up quick with the 1 week turn around!

Montréal, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

When was the track built?

The man-made Notre Dame Island in the middle of the St Lawrence River was created for the 1967 Expo 67 World's Fair. Once the expo and the ensuing 1976 Montreal Summer Olympics had left town, some clever people decided to make a race track out of the island’s roads. And lo, the Circuit Ile Notre-Dame, as it then was, came to be.

When was its first Grand Prix?

With the Canadian Grand Prix having been in search of a permanent home for a number of years in the 1960s and 1970s, the Circuit Ile Notre-Dame first hosted the race in 1978. Fittingly, Gilles Villeneuve claimed his maiden win, at the track that would end up bearing his name.

What’s the circuit like?

The fast, low-downforce circuit is one of the drivers’ favourites. The track is quite stop-start, with lots of heavy-braking chicanes and the famous hairpin to get the anchors working hard. Out of the corners, though, the track is quick and flowing, while the most iconic piece of the circuit comes right at the end of the lap: the Wall of Champions, so-called after excursions into it from Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve and Michael Schumacher during the 1999 Canadian Grand Prix weekend.

Why go?
The Montrealais really embrace their Grand Prix weekend, with the charming city turning into an F1-loving party town in the week leading up to the race. For the Grand Prix itself, the leafy setting makes the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve one of Formula 1’s most laidback venues.

Where is the best place to watch?

It’s got to be one of either Grandstand 15, 21 or 24, the three that surround the hairpin. It makes for a real amphitheatre vibe down there, as well as allowing you to see all the hairpin overtakes.

Weekend Schedule

XnXJIhK.png

TV Schedules

Sky F1

lvRIX4H.png

Channel 4

Canadian GP Qualifying Highlights - TBC
Canadian GP Race Highlights - TBC

Track Information

j5AunH8.png

Weather Forecast (as of Sunday 12th June 2022)

my3l6y4.png

Soldato
I agree.

The only issues I have now with modern F1 is a bit of bad weather they wont race and look back at some of those great races in the changeable or even bad weather at this track.
There is a difference between bad weather and undrivable. No one wants a repeat of spa where half the field were taken out. Even in 2011 which was a great race, it started behind the safety car. I love a bit of rain, but if it becomes pot luck due to rivers of water thats no good either.

Associate
The track gives good "Driver Vibes" all round. A truly pleasant setting, which helps peoples moods. WE are looking forward to this venue after what seems an eternity of postponment

Soldato
Usually one of the best on the calendar. Will be interesting to see how these cars cope around here. Catching the kerb just before turn 13 is likely to be even more of a one way ticket into the Wall of Champions than with the previous generation of cars.

Man of Honour
OP
Usually one of the best on the calendar. Will be interesting to see how these cars cope around here. Catching the kerb just before turn 13 is likely to be even more of a one way ticket into the Wall of Champions than with the previous generation of cars.

Might get £10 on Latifi to be first in the wall, I'd probably end up paying the bookie

Soldato
Hopefully the fishing for bites this weekend are less as well
:p

Caporegime
Looks like it's going to be hot and damp for Friday practice then 10 degrees colder and wet for qualifying and finally hot and dry for race day. That's going to make setting the cars up challenging for the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom