Cancel culture expands to real life in the USA

Soldato
To be fair, he is right. There is a host of things where "liberal" is not consistent with a left-wing position.

Not trying to have a go at you here- just replying based on the last couple of posts.
In US popular culture it is generally accepted that the words liberal and conservative are synonyms for left and right wing. It is part of the 'lost in translation' problem affecting the UK understanding of what is going on in America, and partly responsible for the supposition that only extremes of political positions exist. We are all so much more agreeable when not sat behind keyboards, also part of the problem.

Associate
What point do you actually have to make, other than picking on other posters?
My point is that the OP is right to draw the distinction between the use of the word liberal in popular culture (liberals by name) and the values of liberalism such as freedom and civil liberties.

It seems to me that I've entered the post unaware of any bias against the OP - what they posted did not seem insulting in any way to me.

Soldato
In US popular culture it is generally accepted that the words liberal and conservative are synonyms for left and right wing. It is part of the 'lost in translation' problem affecting the UK understanding of what is going on in America, and partly responsible for the supposition that only extremes of political positions exist. We are all so much more agreeable when not sat behind keyboards, also part of the problem.

I completely agree. Ironically.

The sloppy use of the word "liberal" as some sort of insult is pretty annoying.

The reflection in the UK of polarisation in the US is something I could really do without. Jeez, if you're not listening, you're just shouting.

Edited as that came across as a possible dig at you, which wasn't what I meant. It's just the general tenor of debate across all media. It's counter-productive, in my opinion.

Permabanned
everytime I see your name I get hungry, I've two ribeyes and some baby potatoes ready in the pot for later. forgot to buy veg though grrr
bc5c0a25da04fc41a249d17f335b4324.jpg

Soldato
You can’t have it both ways. If you think bakers should be allowed to refuse making cakes for gay people, then airlines should be able to arbitrarily choose who can fly with them and social media platforms get to say who can post.

Permabanned
gay cake...nothing to do with them bein g gay was it? it was the msg they wanted on it....not fully informed on it and it was ages ago now.

buuut...imagine a democrat supporting bakery and a trump supporter going in wanting a trump cake? lol

Permabanned
Free speech to rabble on here, go to SC if you want to be one sided and affirmed in your thinking with no rebuttal :p

but I agree mmj does have a habit of starting this and running like a poo spoon

Permabanned
oh dear.

Other than talking drivel and nonsense most of the time and not agreeing with somethings going on in the world havin my own opinion I wouldn't say i'm such a bad guy tbh.

Man of Honour
Whenever there is a potentially good point to be made on subjects like this, why is it always lost with a herp derp of “oh but the other side fneeerrrrr”.

We had this sentiment in the St. George’s Day thread as well. Happy St. George’s Day.... unless your a so called liberal fneerrrr bet you they don’t like this anti-pc day with their cancel culture and wish to let in the asylum seekers whilst also scrutinising people bunch of hypocrites :mad: etc.

It’s no wonder people feel awkward celebrating being British when those that do so vocally seem hell-bent on entrenching themselves in an ‘us vs them’ battle that for the rest of us doesn’t exist.

Stop it!

Soldato
In this case, yes it's acceptable as the "wrong" views are extreme. Problem is how far the line is moved in the future and who could possibly have control of it, so in principle I find this sort of thing illiberal.

Back
Top Bottom