Canon 5D MK4

Caporegime
Even if it does come and is as capable D750, you'll be paying a hell of a lot more for a 5D4.

I'd like to wait to save me swapping over but with the first wedding of the year in April next year, I can't really afford to wait. I'd rather make the change now and have 3 months to get used to the D750 at a much cheaper price.

Much easier than sell up and get it all again though. Give and take, £1k more for each body vs getting 8 lenses again, new flash system, remote triggers etc.

They bloody match it....

Soldato
I always enjoy the talk around new body release time all the gear heads saying they will need to swap to something like the camera they have is suddenly incapable of taking the pictures they were shooting yesterday! Inevitably some will be disappointed but then I always get the impression that there is a group who will be disappointed no matter what.

I'm happy to sit back and watch my 5d mkii still takes awsome pictures and always will yes maybe I could get more focus points a little more DR and a high ISO boost but would it make a night and day difference? Not in my book moder DSLR's are all so good that any improvement is only ever going to be incremental!

Caporegime
I always enjoy the talk around new body release time all the gear heads saying they will need to swap to something like the camera they have is suddenly incapable of taking the pictures they were shooting yesterday! Inevitably some will be disappointed but then I always get the impression that there is a group who will be disappointed no matter what.

I'm happy to sit back and watch my 5d mkii still takes awsome pictures and always will yes maybe I could get more focus points a little more DR and a high ISO boost but would it make a night and day difference? Not in my book moder DSLR's are all so good that any improvement is only ever going to be incremental!

The 5DIII is capable, I would say I don't need to upgrade it, but if I would, I upgrade the sensor to have that 5 stop push/pull capability like the competition.

So.......do it Canon, please, I bet of you !

Soldato

It also depends on what you use it for I think. Some fields of photography don't demand quite as much from the camera as others.

It also comes down to the photographer though :) I definitely like an upgrade lol

Soldato
The only major gripe I have with Nikon is their lens selection, the cupboard is bare when it comes to decent affordable telephoto lenses. That's definitely a problem for me.

The 5Dmkiii is a great camera, it will be a very capable camera for many years to come. I'm more concerned about the future of Canon within the DSLR market, it's a crucial time right now. It's sensor wars out there and Nikon are clearly winning.

Canon need to pull their finger out, basically. R&D Canon!? Obviously the decisions have already been made, all we can do is sit back, wait and watch. I just hope they are good decisions. What happens next with the 5DMK4 will either make or break Canon, if they get it wrong or miss the mark it will be the marker in their history of the start of their demise in the DSLR market. When you have a product which historically has such a long life cycle, it becomes impossible to quickly pump out a remedy, a superior model/product.

Definitely serious times for Canon, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The only major gripe I have with Nikon is their lens selection, the cupboard is bare when it comes to decent affordable telephoto lenses. That's definitely a problem for me.

What is it canon have the Nikon don't?:confused:
Nikon have a 70-300, 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D, 70-200mm f/2.8 and f/4.0, 300mm f/4.0 and f2.8 (and even f/2.0), 400mm f/2.8, 500/600/800mm primes, affordable 200-400mm f/4.0, 80-400mm f/5.6 plus multiplier older generations of all of these at lower prices.
Moreover, the Nikon equivalents are typically a fair whack cheaper.

Sure, canon have 400mm f/5.6 but the 300mm with 1.4TC is a great performing combo. Canon also have a very expensive 400mm f/4.0 DO which is an interesting lens but hardly mainstream or a must have lens.

Caporegime
Not really the same lens :p lol

The 400mm F5.6 is the only one I seem to remember being mentioned recently as something that Nikon don't have but then again I don't really go looking.

It is a very similar lens, you just need to remove the camera to remove the TC.

Caporegime
Still not the same is it :p A regular 1.4x extender doesn't really compare to the builtin one.

No it's cool and it I would be excited if future lenses took this approach but you certainly pay for it. You could more or less buy 2 of the nikons and superglue a TC to one of them :D

Soldato
You'd still need to change lens lol :p

For me, the practicality of the builtin TC is great but what's equally important is the quality you get with the extender engaged. It's hard to tell when it's engaged and when it isn't if you look at the shots later and for me that's the best part.

Soldato

The 5Dmkiii is a great camera, it will be a very capable camera for many years to come. I'm more concerned about the future of Canon within the DSLR market, it's a crucial time right now. It's sensor wars out there and Nikon are clearly winning.

Canon need to pull their finger out, basically. R&D Canon!? Obviously the decisions have already been made, all we can do is sit back, wait and watch. I just hope they are good decisions. What happens next with the 5DMK4 will either make or break Canon, if they get it wrong or miss the mark it will be the marker in their history of the start of their demise in the DSLR market. When you have a product which historically has such a long life cycle, it becomes impossible to quickly pump out a remedy, a superior model/product.

Definitely serious times for Canon, unfortunately.

Massive exaggeration of the situation, canon still have massive market share, yes they do need to step up but it's not twist or bust time hell if they start to notice a serious sales drop they could just buy Sony sensors and instantly match nikons performance like they've just done with a compact I forget the name!

Back
Top Bottom