Canon 6D MKII Announced

Soldato
Start an 'import' business! There was a chap from Scotland on the TP forums doing this for years!
I have thought about it (for other products) in the past. But that would have involved exporting the goods from where I live, as I have no presence as such in the U.K.. Main issues are courier costs are prohibitive (DHL + FedEx are the two choices), snail mail is not an option. Couriers okay for an expensive camera purchase, not so acceptable for a cheaper accessory. Receiving payment would be another big headache, no idea how to get around that one.

smr

smr

Soldato
I've reconsidered this, I think I'll be buying an 80D instead. The AF coverage is much more central on the 6D2, and way more spread out across the frame on the 80D - that and I'd lose the reach, and shooting wildlife, motorsport, airshows etc. the extra reach is nice.

If I were solely doing landscapes and portraits I'd go for the 6D2 but shooting a variety of genres as I do I think the 80D is more suited to me.

Associate
I own a 7D1 and though I love it to bits I am concern about the IQ as some cheaper dslr's do have IMO better IQ. It seems the AL filter has a lot to answer for,..ha !
For sports ( motor racing, horse racing etc ) and air shows it is great. I take it on holiday and yes it is rather big and with just hand luggage I do struggle getting clothes and kit in to the suit case.

A friend of mine owns a 6D1 and like me with the 7D2 it is not enough in the new DSLR to warrant spending the extra hard earn cash on the new upgrade. IMO the 6D2 should really be like the iPhones as it is more of a 6Ds !
I am not sure what Canon marketing dept are doing as the 6D2 spec seems to be 2 years out of date !
The market has shifted now and it is not future proof as it could be !
Though some would say that 4k it not important now, what about in 3-5 years time. As most smart phones, tablets, TV's are 4k now, and Canon was so innovative and lead the way in video capability in a DSLR. What has happen, did some of their top designers leave and go to Sony !

Soldato
I own a 7D1 and though I love it to bits I am concern about the IQ as some cheaper dslr's do have IMO better IQ. It seems the AL filter has a lot to answer for,..ha !
For sports ( motor racing, horse racing etc ) and air shows it is great. I take it on holiday and yes it is rather big and with just hand luggage I do struggle getting clothes and kit in to the suit case.

A friend of mine owns a 6D1 and like me with the 7D2 it is not enough in the new DSLR to warrant spending the extra hard earn cash on the new upgrade. IMO the 6D2 should really be like the iPhones as it is more of a 6Ds !
I am not sure what Canon marketing dept are doing as the 6D2 spec seems to be 2 years out of date !
The market has shifted now and it is not future proof as it could be !
Though some would say that 4k it not important now, what about in 3-5 years time. As most smart phones, tablets, TV's are 4k now, and Canon was so innovative and lead the way in video capability in a DSLR. What has happen, did some of their top designers leave and go to Sony !

The 4k video thing always cracks me up, what are most people filming that warrants 4k? Shaky holiday films that nobody including them will watch more than once? Videos of the kids that they won't watch for 30 years by which time it won't matter if they are 720p or 4k they will still look vintage like cinefilm does today! Most TV's in the UK are not 4k and most content watched in the UK is still standard definition so I think the video capabilities of this camera is more than adequate a really high quality 1080P feed is going to look a lot nicer than a cheap headline grabbing 4k camera phone!

What else on the spec is 2 years out of date?

Associate
The 4k video thing always cracks me up, what are most people filming that warrants 4k? Shaky holiday films that nobody including them will watch more than once? Videos of the kids that they won't watch for 30 years by which time it won't matter if they are 720p or 4k they will still look vintage like cinefilm does today! Most TV's in the UK are not 4k and most content watched in the UK is still standard definition so I think the video capabilities of this camera is more than adequate a really high quality 1080P feed is going to look a lot nicer than a cheap headline grabbing 4k camera phone!

The problem is that canon can not say who their target market should be. As for sure those people that want a cheap full frame DSLR this could be the one, however Sony do other the FF mirrorless which is only slightly more money. Film makers, vBlogers etc do shoot in 4k and the FF of the 6D2 could have been a market to break into, consider the FF advantage for low light scenes. Lets not forget that the 7D1 was used by production companies to film episodes of drama series, i.e Grey's Anatomy.
4k is what the consumer sees as a default feature like dual memory slots which most camera of this type have. I know some cameras like Sony mirrorless in APS-C format have not. Though I suspect this will just be a matter of time. Even if the slot was micro SD on the 6D2 it would have been a step in the right direction.
Canon lately have been losing customers to Sony mirrorless as they can still use their glass and even the speedlites. Canon believe if people have brought into a eco system they can not afford to leave it. Again I say the market has shifted with the Sony mirrorless range.
You may be right about 4k for some people, though this dslr is aim at die hard loyal fans which are a dying breed. I do believe people expected a lot more from the 6D2 and the spec was just old and would have been good for 2 years ago !

Soldato
The problem is that canon can not say who their target market should be. As for sure those people that want a cheap full frame DSLR this could be the one, however Sony do other the FF mirrorless which is only slightly more money. Film makers, vBlogers etc do shoot in 4k and the FF of the 6D2 could have been a market to break into, consider the FF advantage for low light scenes. Lets not forget that the 7D1 was used by production companies to film episodes of drama series, i.e Grey's Anatomy.
4k is what the consumer sees as a default feature like dual memory slots which most camera of this type have. I know some cameras like Sony mirrorless in APS-C format have not. Though I suspect this will just be a matter of time. Even if the slot was micro SD on the 6D2 it would have been a step in the right direction.
Canon lately have been losing customers to Sony mirrorless as they can still use their glass and even the speedlites. Canon believe if people have brought into a eco system they can not afford to leave it. Again I say the market has shifted with the Sony mirrorless range.
You may be right about 4k for some people, though this dslr is aim at die hard loyal fans which are a dying breed. I do believe people expected a lot more from the 6D2 and the spec was just old and would have been good for 2 years ago !
So there are two things missing 4K video and a second card slot? Anything else that make this a two year old camera? Second card slot is missing on almost all consumer DSLR's so it's hardly a big deal the 6d has always been canons entry level full frame model so will inevitably be a little hamstrung to differentiate it from the pro spec 5d. This spec is actually a lot closer to the 5d mkiv than the last one was to the mkiii. DSLR sales are tanking across the board a second card slot and 4K video won't change or arrest that.

Caporegime

How many people are going to be buying a £2k camera to shoot holiday footage on? :confused:

You are missing the whole advantage of shooting in 4k, which is not usually native 4k viewing, but the ability to edit the video with no perceptible loss of quality on conventional sized displays, you can even crop 4k video without even any loss of resolution when transcoding to a 1080p file. Higher resolution video is always better for editing regardless of the display resolution!

No dual card slot is shocking I have to admit, all Nikon full frames have dual cards and even their cheap D7200 crop has dual slots for gods sake.

Last edited:
Soldato
4K would be an advantage on high end cameras for capturing a still from a sequence. For events I cover there is an increasing demand for 1080p video but my priority is still supplying high resolution photos. A good trade off would be photos at 3840x2160 from the video footage, even if it is just 25fps.

Do Nikon full frame cameras write video to both slots?

Associate
How many people are going to be buying a £2k camera to shoot holiday footage on? :confused:

You are missing the whole advantage of shooting in 4k, which is not usually native 4k viewing, but the ability to edit the video with no perceptible loss of quality on conventional sized displays, you can even crop 4k video without even any loss of resolution when transcoding to a 1080p file. Higher resolution video is always better for editing regardless of the display resolution!

No dual card slot is shocking I have to admit, all Nikon full frames have dual cards and even their cheap D7200 crop has dual slots for gods sake.
but the new "7200" the 7500 is back to single slot.
i have to say i think its a great spec camera, i was hoping for a ff 80d and that's what has been delivered. would i like duel cards-yep but its not a deal breaker. if i was making a living out of my pics id buy a 5d mk1v anyway so its not a biggy and 4k is still only used by i small minority, with plenty of cameras available for that group so i think this camera will sell very, very well.

Caporegime
The D7500 isn't a £2000 camera though and Nikon still got lambasted for it. The D7200 continues to be sold alongside the D7500 so my point stands that cheap Nikon bodies have dual slots. The entry level full frame D610 also has dual slots.

But lets not compare it to the D610, this camera costs the same as the D810 which blows it out of the water in many respects.

And seriously, how much does it cost to add an extra card slot? I do very little commercial work with my D610 but I want the security of a backup the same way I have a backup of my home PC.

Tony Northrup does a good summary of the pros and cons of the 6d2 and touches on the 1 sd card slot issue at 6:45, "single biggest disappointment" and "big mistake in the current market" sums it up well I think.

Turns out it doesn't have 100% viewfinder coverage either!

I've reconsidered this, I think I'll be buying an 80D instead. The AF coverage is much more central on the 6D2, and way more spread out across the frame on the 80D - that and I'd lose the reach, and shooting wildlife, motorsport, airshows etc. the extra reach is nice.

If I were solely doing landscapes and portraits I'd go for the 6D2 but shooting a variety of genres as I do I think the 80D is more suited to me.

That's actually what Tony Northrup suggests in the above video, an 80D because the AF coverage is much better and it's far cheaper.

Last edited:
Soldato

Clearly the 5D mkiv is the camera for you as it has the features you require lucky canon offer both models so you can choose or you could just stick with nikon if dual card slots are so important!

If they put all the features in the entry level model nobody buys the pro spec. The gap bettween the two is already much smaller this time around the original 6d was closer to the 5d mkii than the mkiiI.

PS visit any photography forum or major tourist attraction anywhere in the world if you want to find vast numbers of people shooting holiday snaps and crappy videos on 2k plus worth of equipment. I've been doing it for years only I don't shoot video as it ruins the memories!

Caporegime
Not having features like dual card slots on a 2k camera is poor product differentiation as evidenced by Nikon who differentiate by features like higher res sensors in the D810. They are committing suicide by pushing people towards mirrorless which commonly has 4k, it just seems absurd to have video features like dual pixel af and flip screen only to support 1080p thus rendering those features pointless as its no longer a viable video camera.

Soldato
Not having features like dual card slots on a 2k camera is poor product differentiation as evidenced by Nikon who differentiate by features like higher res sensors in the D810. They are committing suicide by pushing people towards mirrorless which commonly has 4k, it just seems absurd to have video features like dual pixel af and flip screen only to support 1080p thus rendering those features pointless as its no longer a viable video camera.
Lol it's a perfectly viable video camera just not top of the range plenty of people will shoot loads of great video with it.

Nikon's differentiation just takes sales from the top end product, hence the popularity of the d750! Canon have always differentiated this way they are not going to change did you really expect them to release a 5d mkiv in a slightly smaller body? Not saying either approach is right they are just different!

Beyond the card slots and 4K the camera is a massive upgrade in every other area if you want a great stills camera what's missing?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol it's a perfectly viable video camera just not top of the range plenty of people will shoot loads of great video with it.

What I mean is, people are not going to buy this if they are really looking to shoot video because it lacks 4k, so adding all these video features pushing the cost up really makes no sense, if Canon are not going to focus on marketing it as a video camera then put the money into other areas of the camera or release it at a more favourable price point, if I want a stills camera for £2k you've got the D810 with it's 36Mp sensor vs the 26Mp sensor of the 6D2.

Nikon's differentiation just takes sales from the top end product, hence the popularity of the d750! Canon have always differentiated this way they are not going to change did you really expect them to release a 5d mkiv in a slightly smaller body? Not saying either approach is right they are just different!
I think it's an approach that will cost them in this case, it's not often you see a camera with such heavy criticism.

Beyond the card slots and 4K the camera is a massive upgrade in every other area if you want a great stills camera what's missing?

Well the lack of 100% viewfinder coverage which other manufactures have as standard may be an issue for some, but more importantly the clustering of the AF points around the centre is something that would put me off.

Being an upgrade isn't really enough anymore, at the £2k price point there are just so many options now with mirrorless that it has to have the same level of features to compare favourably.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom