Canon Mirrorless Incoming

Soldato
Full Engagdget breakdown below which seems a pretty good sum of what the EOS R is about.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/05/canon-eos-r-full-frame-mirrorless-camera/

Seems as flawed as the Nikon's just in different areas but the launch lens lineup does look better.

The issues that stand out are:
- No IBIS
- 1.7x crop for 4k video
- No joystick
- Seems like a mirrorless 5D MkIV rather than something totally new
- Burst not inline with Sony

The plus points:
- Proper artriculating touchscreen
- Adaptor that allows filters to be added
- Lens based control dials
- The grip depth looks great
-28-70 F2!! :D

Soldato
Cousin and Cousins wife have both been using these all summer (both are Canon ambassadors) and highly rate them. They regularly use 1Dx mkII's are are both buying the mirrorless.

Going to find an excuse to visit them soon, and seize the moment and see how it works for me (I mainly shoot landscape and macro with a 5d3, very different to the 'people' photography they do).

Caporegime
Don't care about video so whilst 4k cropped is a shame, it doesn't bother me.

Lacking Dual card slots means a no no for work so won't be using this for weddings.

Price of the body is okay....less than the 5D4, I guess AF will be accurate, however I doubt it will be as strong as the Sony in tracking moving subjects. DR will be decent but still behind the Sony I guess. I do prefer Canon's colour.

I am sure it'll be like £1800 before long...or wait for the mk2 whilst I keep the Sony.

Associate
I see no reason to get this over an A7iii, unless you’re adapting a bunch of existing Canon glass. And then I’d be interested to see how the adapted glass performs against when it’s adapted on the Sony.

Soldato
The 24-70 F2 sounds like a beast of a lens to pair this with. Although the price is beastly too.
I am understanding it correct the RF 28-70 lens costs £3k ?
That's over £5.5k for the body and lens : Pro level pricing for hobbyist features - nice move Canon.

Pricing is out of control. For normal portrait stuff mobile phone cameras running intelligent photo software aren't far away from these over priced lumps.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok, finally got a chance to read the Engadget break down which seems like it covers it pretty well.

Thoughts are, I get the impression this is a better first attenpt over Nikon's. There are some things which should be there but just simply are not for reasons which we can only speculate such as IBIS and dual slots but anyway, they're not there so what do we have.

The ergnomics looks interesting, it seems like it's got a decent sized grip. The new lenses sure do look lovely as well. It's obviously not a "pro" camera but I don't get the impression it's trying to be one either. However the price does dictate that it's up at the upper end of the enthusiasts range.

It was never going to beat the A73 on a first attempt so anyone disappointed it doesn't just set themselves up for failure. When does a 1st attempt beats a 3rd iteration?

What this along with the Nikon has given is the Sony the start of some actual competition. Yeah the Sony is better, but overtime it will balance out more, in value and lenses and also technical advances.

I think we won't here hummings of a 2nd gen R (2R maybe?) Until the 5D4 begins reaching its end of life. I know if I was already invested in Canon I would be taking a serious look at this camera as a next one. Really looking forward to seeing how well the adapters perform with existing lenses. Also I saw on wex that it is included when buying the body from the get go. Isn't Nikon's extra?

Overall I like it :) looking forward to the press getting their hands on it and reviews popping up.

Also wanted to add. It's not a pro body YET. Next iterations will be is my betting but the lenses are pro level already from the get go. Nice :)

I wonder if they will bring out a cheaper range of lenses to use the new mount for those who don't need fast aperture speeds. But just good optics.

Back
Top Bottom