Canon Mirrorless Incoming

Soldato
In terms of video, the situation is less good. 4K is cropped by 1.7 times, as mentioned. That means you're not getting the maximum low-light capability and depth of field out of that big sensor. Canon told Engadget that this was done in order to reduce heating because the small body can't dissipate heat well. That doesn't explain, though, why Sony and Nikon's similarly-sized mirrorless cameras can handle a full pixel readout just fine.

I dont understand this at all, it obviously just garbage that can be translated into 'we need to protect our C*** range, so its intentionally gimped'.

Soldato
OP
Not sure if someone already mentioned but the Canon R sensor is 100% the sensor off a 5d4.

Thats a shame to me as the sony sensor is vastly superior, I'll be sticking with Sony I think for sure now.

Caporegime
That to me reinforces thoughts I've had. This thing has been deliberately gimped.

Canon are no noobies. They could come out swinging to take on Sony. Dual slots, new sensor, IBIS etc. But it would give many people a reason to totally abandon perfectly good 5D4's or reduce sales of new ones and go straight to the EOS R, which Canon cannot charge as much for as they do the 5D4.

5D4 is approx half way through its lifecycle, they've specifically said this is to compliment your existing system, not replace it. I believe this release has been all about debuting the new lens mount which is a very crucial component. I imagine we'll see a huge jump in features and abilities in the EOS R II and the 5D5 is more of an incremental update as they begin to phase it out. By then (lets assume in 2 years time) there will be a comprehensive list of native lenses available

This was all about showcasing the lens mount and how they can move controls and customise them to change the body style to ensure good ergonomics. Something small cameras struggle with.

Caporegime

I really enjoyed this hands on. It points out some flaws, mostly of which can be resolved with a firmware update which is good. Once those are resolved, it seems like a pretty decent camera.

Soldato
Not sure if someone already mentioned but the Canon R sensor is 100% the sensor off a 5d4.

Thats a shame to me as the sony sensor is vastly superior, I'll be sticking with Sony I think for sure now.
The Sony A73 sensor is the same as used in the Sony A72 (2014). Both Canon and Sony use new/tweaked imaging chips to improve DR, noise etc... in the new cameras over the previous ones.

Soldato
OP
The Sony A73 sensor is the same as used in the Sony A72 (2014). Both Canon and Sony use new/tweaked imaging chips to improve DR, noise etc... in the new cameras over the previous ones.

I think you find that it is the A7R3 using the sensor in A7R2.

A73 has a different sensor to A72.

What Raymond said.

Even then a Sony sensor from a couple of years ago destroys canons sensors for dynamic range at similar resolutions.

Canon has a lot of catching up to do.

Associate
That to me reinforces thoughts I've had. This thing has been deliberately gimped.

Canon are no noobies. They could come out swinging to take on Sony. Dual slots, new sensor, IBIS etc. But it would give many people a reason to totally abandon perfectly good 5D4's or reduce sales of new ones and go straight to the EOS R, which Canon cannot charge as much for as they do the 5D4.

5D4 is approx half way through its lifecycle, they've specifically said this is to compliment your existing system, not replace it. I believe this release has been all about debuting the new lens mount which is a very crucial component. I imagine we'll see a huge jump in features and abilities in the EOS R II and the 5D5 is more of an incremental update as they begin to phase it out. By then (lets assume in 2 years time) there will be a comprehensive list of native lenses available

This was all about showcasing the lens mount and how they can move controls and customise them to change the body style to ensure good ergonomics. Something small cameras struggle with.

So instead of beating your rivals to make people switch / upgrade you purposely make it worse so you don’t impact sales on the 5D4 which in fairness I would imagine have slowed down. What’s the point of them making a mirrorless body if they’re not going to compete for the best body? People who have the 5D4 could have upgraded rather than staying put or using it as a second body then upgrade to the II when that lands? In two years time is there going to be more interest in the mirrorless than the 5D5 only to be let down again?

Caporegime
So instead of beating your rivals to make people switch / upgrade you purposely make it worse so you don’t impact sales on the 5D4 which in fairness I would imagine have slowed down. What’s the point of them making a mirrorless body if they’re not going to compete for the best body? People who have the 5D4 could have upgraded rather than staying put or using it as a second body then upgrade to the II when that lands? In two years time is there going to be more interest in the mirrorless than the 5D5 only to be let down again?

Yes, because they could not compete with Sony in a first iteration because of selection of native lenses to take full advantage of that new mount. They could have made it better of course but then people would have criticised the lack of lenses more. They literally said they don't want people to switch from a 5D4 to this camera, it doesn't compete. Not right now. And it hasn't got the native glass to take advantage so you would basically pay a crapload of money for a lesser camera and not really gain anything apart from improved AF! Not really a good use of money!

Give it at least another revision (both on Nikon & Canon) and these will start to shine a lot more. Much more glass around, bodies will be able to take advantage of them. It needs to mature.

Associate
Yes, because they could not compete with Sony in a first iteration because of selection of native lenses to take full advantage of that new mount. They could have made it better of course but then people would have criticised the lack of lenses more. They literally said they don't want people to switch from a 5D4 to this camera, it doesn't compete. Not right now. And it hasn't got the native glass to take advantage so you would basically pay a crapload of money for a lesser camera and not really gain anything apart from improved AF! Not really a good use of money!

Give it at least another revision (both on Nikon & Canon) and these will start to shine a lot more. Much more glass around, bodies will be able to take advantage of them. It needs to mature.

But with the adaptor, people switching from another canon already have lenses so why do they need a load of native glass to start with? Or is the adaptor also a flop?
I just don’t see the mentality of this release, it makes no sense. The people who would buy it as back up body as suggested need / want features they left out. People upgrading would be wise to stick with the 5D4. To compete with Sony and stop people switching it needs to match or beat the 5D4 now, not in 2 years. In 2 years you’ll have A7iiii and 5D5 and we’ll be having this exact convo again?

Caporegime
But with the adaptor, people switching from another canon already have lenses so why do they need a load of native glass to start with? Or is the adaptor also a flop?
I just don’t see the mentality of this release, it makes no sense. The people who would buy it as back up body as suggested need / want features they left out. People upgrading would be wise to stick with the 5D4. To compete with Sony and stop people switching it needs to match or beat the 5D4 now, not in 2 years. In 2 years you’ll have A7iiii and 5D5 and we’ll be having this exact convo again?

The adapter isn't a flop at all. But the native glass allows better images than EF lenses. They are sharper and allow more detail. They also have that programmable ring (although isn't there another adapter allowing you to add that to EF lenses? I forget now)

The new mount allows for better glass. But better glasses isn't available yet. As I mentioned, it needs to mature.

I believe that DSLRs as they stand now, will slowly be phased out. I think the 5D Mk5 will be an incremental update to the Mk4, but the EOS R Mk2 will be a huge update over what we have now. Also more lenses will be available, and people can and will start to switch at that point. I'll be surprised if we ever see a 5D Mk6

Canon & Nikon cannot compete at this time, as they don't have the native glass to back it up. So they have saved money by making complimentary bodies to their existing line up whilst the glass gets developed and released, and THEN when thats out, they'll start picking fights with the Sony.

Thats how I think it will go anyway :)

Soldato
So the USB charger for EOS is $190 or £120!! Nearly spat my tea out when I saw it, apparently a few guys trying it out in the field have tried other charger / cables and they didnt work.
I personally find charging on the go very useful but having said that people are also getting 800+ shots from the batteries so it's not a huge issue really but holy moly that is some rip off pricing for a charger.

Caporegime
So the USB charger for EOS is $190 or £120!! Nearly spat my tea out when I saw it, apparently a few guys trying it out in the field have tried other charger / cables and they didnt work.
I personally find charging on the go very useful but having said that people are also getting 800+ shots from the batteries so it's not a huge issue really but holy moly that is some rip off pricing for a charger.

I have a Charger for the Canon 5D battery which can charge via USB, I haven’t tried it yet but I am sure if I plug in a power bank to that it will work. Sure enough I am not charging in camera but it will still allow me to charge on the go.

Associate
The adapter isn't a flop at all. But the native glass allows better images than EF lenses. They are sharper and allow more detail. They also have that programmable ring (although isn't there another adapter allowing you to add that to EF lenses? I forget now)

The new mount allows for better glass. But better glasses isn't available yet. As I mentioned, it needs to mature.

I believe that DSLRs as they stand now, will slowly be phased out. I think the 5D Mk5 will be an incremental update to the Mk4, but the EOS R Mk2 will be a huge update over what we have now. Also more lenses will be available, and people can and will start to switch at that point. I'll be surprised if we ever see a 5D Mk6

Canon & Nikon cannot compete at this time, as they don't have the native glass to back it up. So they have saved money by making complimentary bodies to their existing line up whilst the glass gets developed and released, and THEN when thats out, they'll start picking fights with the Sony.

Thats how I think it will go anyway :)

Early adopters of the Sony used canon glass just fine and some still do. Surely the canon adaptor would work better?
I just feel they’ve missed a good opportunity here and more people will probably switch to Sony.
Doesn’t bother me either way, I’ve just invested around 8k in Sony :(

Soldato
Early adopters of the Sony used canon glass just fine and some still do. Surely the canon adaptor would work better?
I just feel they’ve missed a good opportunity here and more people will probably switch to Sony.
Doesn’t bother me either way, I’ve just invested around 8k in Sony :(
Same .I've slowly switched to Sony from canon Took 2 plus years to fully switch

Associate
Same .I've slowly switched to Sony from canon Took 2 plus years to fully switch
I used the A7ii with 16-35 F4 and 70-200 F4 for about a year, it’s only this last 2 months I’ve seen no advance from canon so went with the a7riii and more glass (I was on the verge of going to canon for cheaper glass). With the EOS R I just personally feel they’ve missed an opportunity and more people will switch. Time will tell but it will soon be a buyers market I think.

Back
Top Bottom