Can't use Facebook

Permabanned
Probably the worst bit, when one of your friends plays a silly game 'which celebrity do you look like' or whatever, the app devs not only have access to all your friends info, but all of their friends too, so you've had all your info donated to that app on behalf of a friend. Nice.

Not sure if this is true, you can't give permission for an app to access your friends info. If this was the case there would be scams all over to get your data like this. There would be a lot more trials as well.

Soldato
Not sure if this is true, you can't give permission for an app to access your friends info. If this was the case there would be scams all over to get your data like this. There would be a lot more trials as well.

permissions are irrelevant a decent harvester will just plough through minor road bumps like security and permissions and then probably give it all to Cambridge Gammonlytica

Soldato
Probably the worst bit, when one of your friends plays a silly game 'which celebrity do you look like' or whatever, the app devs not only have access to all your friends info, but all of their friends too, so you've had all your info donated to that app on behalf of a friend. Nice.

The app/s should only have access to their friend's list (if they've given permissions) and any info their friends have set to public.

Soldato

Tbh I'm just going on what I've heard in reasonably reliable and trustworthy tech podcasts (mainly on the TWiT network) where it's talked about as fairly commonly known.

Soldato
OP
I think it's pretty good so far. Got friend invites coming at me left right and centre mostly from musician friends I lost touch with. A little overwhelming at the moment since they've all just found out I joined and there's so many to chat with. I guess it'll calm down soon. Met up with a drummer friend from FB today, we used to work the cruise ships together, I hadn't seen him since the turn of the century.

Man of Honour
I think it's pretty good so far. Got friend invites coming at me left right and centre mostly from musician friends I lost touch with. A little overwhelming at the moment since they've all just found out I joined and there's so many to chat with. I guess it'll calm down soon. Met up with a drummer friend from FB today, we used to work the cruise ships together, I hadn't seen him since the turn of the century.

My site that that promotes gigs has just got it's 5,000th member, I feel sorry for the kids above who don't know how to use it.

Soldato
How old are you @Merlin5?!

I stopped actively using Facebook about 3 years ago and deleted my account last year, that's after it being the best thing since sliced bread about 12 years ago when I was at uni.

Since then it's just full of absolute rubbish and a total time waster for 99% of users, who incidentally are more likely to be 55 than 15 nowadays. Equally I have no interest in reconnecting with people who I obviously lost touch with for a reason

I get the point in hobby groups and marketplaces, but there's other pretty equally good options like forums, Gumtree, etc.

Soldato
My site that that promotes gigs has just got it's 5,000th member, I feel sorry for the kids above who don't know how to use it.

I guess I feel sorry for people that think it's 'their site'. :)

Since then it's just full of absolute rubbish and a total time waster for 99% of users, who incidentally are more likely to be 55 than 15 nowadays.

I think this is the point that many are making. Your feed is what you let it be. Remove or hide content you don't want to see... I'm not judging Facebook on what is in my feed. I judge it on their moral/ethical approach I guess. This has nothing to do with 'how you use it'.

Soldato
I guess I feel sorry for people that think it's 'their site'. :)

I think this is the point that many are making. Your feed is what you let it be. Remove or hide content you don't want to see... I'm not judging Facebook on what is in my feed. I judge it on their moral/ethical approach I guess. This has nothing to do with 'how you use it'.

That's sort of the problem though: Facebook want it to be like what makes it awful. That's like saying eBay is fine if you never buy and sell and just use it to browse and price check.

Soldato
So bottom line is OP tried to setup a FB profile, using an alias that FB didn't like the sound of, and was surprised they actually have some form of security measures in place for? Next time just use a completely fake name if you don't want people to know you are on FB and you only tell people you know and want to connect with that its you.

Soldato
That's like saying eBay is fine if you never buy and sell and just use it to browse and price check.

Not really. It's like only buying or selling to people with high ratings. If you buy from unreputable sellers, you're gonna get ripped off sooner or later. You follow idiots/people that post rubbish on Facebook, your feed is going to be pretty rubbish.

Man of Honour
All these posters on high horses who have no idea how to make Facebook work for them, I thought you were supposed to be geeks!
Hit the block button until you have a Timeline that is interesting, It's embarrassing you don't know how to do this instead saying "I deleted my account and now the world is a much better place".
The funny thing is you all think OCUK is soooooo much better when there's more crap on here than there will ever be on Facebook.

Man of Honour
All these posters on high horses who have no idea how to make Facebook work for them, I thought you were supposed to be geeks!
Hit the block button until you have a Timeline that is interesting, It's embarrassing you don't know how to do this instead saying "I deleted my account and now the world is a much better place".
The funny thing is you all think OCUK is soooooo much better when there's more crap on here than there will ever be on Facebook.

Hehe yeah - few filters/block and I only see what I want to see on Facebook 99% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom