Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
Hardly surprising really is it, stole this from an article:
"The Golden Globe winner managed to beat out Emily Blunt, Natalie Dormer, Katee Sackhoff, Katheryn Winnick, and Rebecca Ferguson for the role of Captain Marvel"

Any of those would have been a better choice.

I didn't realise Sackhoff was in the running. She would have been really good, she's got so much screen presence and I've never thought she's been bland in anything.

hdqFCRp.jpg

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its rare that Marvel have got casting wrong, I would go as far to say it has not a made a mistake yet. Even Ant-Man has grown on me.

Caporegime
Surprise surprise this is getting review bombed on rotten tomatoes by white guys because of what they perceive as racism/"Third wave feminist agendas" blah blah.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ics-marvel-release-date-trailer-a8787911.html

Funny of the only two marvel movies to get review bombed before they came out, one featured a predominantly black cast and the other has a female lead...

They think Brie Larson is racist because she said:

About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of colour, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.’

Edit - early ''social media" reviews are very positive by the way.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/captain-marvel-reviews-first-reactions-1203143894/

Soldato
Funny of the only two marvel movies to get review bombed before they came out, one featured a predominantly black cast and the other has a female lead...

......and strangely both films had cast/critics saying "not a film for you white male fans" so I really just can't possibly understand what could have caused the white male fans to react soooo badly. In the same vein I also can't understand why, when a strong female led film like Wonder Woman doesn't tell white male fans "this isn't for you", it's a smash hit and almost universally loved - hmmmmmmmmmm, it's almost like telling upto 50% of your potential audience "it's not for you" is a bad thing :D

I mean don't get me wrong, there will still be a tiny number of small minded morons who wouldn't see it any because "strong Women bad" etc but wouldn't it be nice if the cast, crew and critics of all films stopped telling people "this isn't made for you" and just said "please watch the film, it's fun/good" and let the fans, whatever their skin colour, sex, age etc decide whether to see it!

EDIT - Just to add, if you read the reviews, it's from people who are generally saying "Brie Larson says this film isn't for white males so, as a white male, I'll be accepting her request and not seeing it" - so most (but not all) of the comments are replying to the things that the lead actor of the film has said, rather than their own "strong women bad" views. Marvel must be "loving" all this negative press that Brie alone has created.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No they didn't

Find me a quote where anyone at Marvel or any of the cast said "Not a film for white male fans"

The quote is literally in my post above - On her last press tour (I assume for Kong:Skull Island) She noticed that most critics were white male, so wants to have more diversity when doing press.

I can't dispute this - most podcasts I listen to (Empire magazine/Kermode and Mayo/Re-watchables) are mainly white men. Helen O'hara is a big fan of Marvel movies and is on the Empire podcast, but that's an outlier.

Last edited:
Caporegime
On another note, I wish we can stop going on about Black, women power and bringing the issues up everytime a movie with a black person or a woman in it. Just critique the movie FOR the movie, leave all the politics out of it. Strong as the message for whatever it is, I won't watch it if its crap. Like I think Black Panther is one of the worst Marvel films, I didn't care for it cast as the story was just dull.

Soldato
On another note, I wish we can stop going on about Black, women power and bringing the issues up everytime a movie with a black person or a woman in it. Just critique the movie FOR the movie, leave all the politics out of it. Strong as the message for whatever it is, I won't watch it if its crap. Like I think Black Panther is one of the worst Marvel films, I didn't care for it cast as the story was just dull.

I whole-heartedly 100% agree with this.

Caporegime
Pretty hard to leave politics out of movies when many are reflective of history or current day society.

We should review 'Birth of a nation' as just a movie?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/r...ing-about-birth-of-a-nation-is-how-good-it-is

'I Daniel blake' didn't have a point to make about tory austerity?

12 Angry Men?

12 years a slave?

I am talking about watching the interview for The Favourite, and they bring up things like "you don't often get a movie with 3 strong female leads". I liked the film but honestly that never crossed my mind. Or watched the interview for Minka Kelly on Titan on Netflix and they bring up great to see strong female superhero characters. I am here thinking, it's not new, Buffy did it much better 20 years ago.

I just want the TALK of the film about the firm, not about trying to balance things out. I wish we can get past all these political talk, to the point that it is normal. It is like we don't talk about "strong male leads" as a new thing because that is the norm, or let's celebrate this white male role. I want us to get to a point that all of this is just "and?" Like you walk down the street and you see a gay couple holding hands and its normal. You don't stare.

I fully realise that you need the conversation but at which point the conversation becomes noise and at what point it's just doing the opposite? I see that 3 female leads in the Favourite as ordinary, it never crossed my mind as it's something abnormal like I don't blink an eyelid seeing a movie full of black people.

Caporegime
No, but for black people to see themselves represented on screen is a big thing. To see an entire black society in Black panther and a superhero was a big thing.

Sure it's easy to say "But Blade did that 20 years ago", but that wasn't aimed at all ages and it was just a black lead. Most of the cast were white.

Ben Bailey Smith [Doc Brown] was standing in for Simon Mayo on 5 Live last week and when they were discussing 'If Beale Street could talk' he said: "What I don't get to see very often is black people being human beings doing normal things on screen, for better or for worse, for good or bad, just being people"

So for some that is a film where maybe the scope isn't very broad, but for others it's important to see themselves represented on screen.

Caporegime
I want it to be a no big deal. Just make the film, cast who you think it's going to be good in it, don't make a big deal out of it. Black, white, Gay, straight, talk, short, fat, whatever, i don't care. If it's good I will watch it.

It's no good if the whole film is full of transgender black people if it's crap.

Soldato
......and strangely both films had cast/critics saying "not a film for you white male fans" so I really just can't possibly understand what could have caused the white male fans to react soooo badly. In the same vein I also can't understand why, when a strong female led film like Wonder Woman doesn't tell white male fans "this isn't for you", it's a smash hit and almost universally loved - hmmmmmmmmmm, it's almost like telling upto 50% of your potential audience "it's not for you" is a bad thing :D

I mean don't get me wrong, there will still be a tiny number of small minded morons who wouldn't see it any because "strong Women bad" etc but wouldn't it be nice if the cast, crew and critics of all films stopped telling people "this isn't made for you" and just said "please watch the film, it's fun/good" and let the fans, whatever their skin colour, sex, age etc decide whether to see it!

EDIT - Just to add, if you read the reviews, it's from people who are generally saying "Brie Larson says this film isn't for white males so, as a white male, I'll be accepting her request and not seeing it" - so most (but not all) of the comments are replying to the things that the lead actor of the film has said, rather than their own "strong women bad" views. Marvel must be "loving" all this negative press that Brie alone has created.

Pre-emptive strike against the fans isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom