Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
OOh don't say that you'll be publicly hanged on twitter if the sjw's see it. :eek:

Look, I love Captain Marvel as a concept. She ended up my favourite on Marvel Heroes, and I played her for over a thousand hours. It's just that Bree Larson seems to have no presence and personality in those pictures. She just doesn't look like she fits the role. She's looks like a generic blonde actress without any charisma.

If Captain Marvel is going to take over as the figurehead of the next phase of MCU, she's got to step into the shoes of the likes of Iron Man and Thor, and I don't think Bree Larson can pull it off if she's going to exude that much boredom and blandness.

Soldato
Well I'm so glad you've actually ruled her out based on a set photo. That's an impressive new low.

Well that's the only thing I've got to judge her on at the moment. You know, the first big publicity photos that are supposed to excite us and make us want to see the film and engage with the character. I haven't "ruled her out" (thanks for putting words in my mouth), I've commented on my impression of the photos we've been given, as that's all we've been given.

I'm happy to be proved wrong if I'm presented with any evidence that does that. I'd like Captain Marvel to blow everyone away as a movie, character and actress. I'm well aware there are some actors that come across vastly better when they are animated than when they are in still photos, but given the number of actors in the MCU that exude vast charisma even in stills, I was expecting to see that in Captain Marvel, the new figurehead of the MCU.

Caporegime
Look, I love Captain Marvel as a concept. She ended up my favourite on Marvel Heroes, and I played her for over a thousand hours. It's just that Bree Larson seems to have no presence and personality in those pictures. She just doesn't look like she fits the role. She's looks like a generic blonde actress without any charisma.

If Captain Marvel is going to take over as the figurehead of the next phase of MCU, she's got to step into the shoes of the likes of Iron Man and Thor, and I don't think Bree Larson can pull it off if she's going to exude that much boredom and blandness.

I honestly couldn't even tell you who Captain Marvel is, was that character not named shazam at one point and was male? I dunno, no clue about most of these characters. :p

Soldato
I honestly couldn't even tell you who Captain Marvel is, was that character not named shazam at one point and was male? I dunno, no clue about most of these characters. :p

There's a complicated history between DC's Captain Marvel (that most people know as "Shazam" as that's the magic word that turns him into Captain Marvel), and Marvel Comics Mar-vell, that then became Captain Marvel, then Ms. Marvel, then Captain Marvel again as Ms. Marvel was spun off as a new character (Kamela Kahn). It's all in the Wikipedia, but it comes down to DC and Marvel both having a character called Captain Marvel, agreeing not to use that character, then doing so anyway and pretty much ignoring things to go back to Captain Marvel.

So now DC's character is known as Billy Bateson/Shazam, Marvel's is Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, though they are both officially named Captain Marvel.

For a bit more confusion, there are both Shazam and Captain Marvel films coming out soon.

Soldato
It's just that Bree Larson seems to have no presence and personality in those pictures. She just doesn't look like she fits the role. She's looks like a generic blonde actress without any charisma.

She was fantastic in The Room which rightly won her a whole heap of plaudits but since then in the other films I've seen her act in (Kong, Free Fire) she's been pretty much how you described her and I've been very disappointed. However, I'll wait for the trailer to see her in action before giving my opinion but I will say that I hope that F-15 shot is just a promotional photoshoot and not from the film as that picture in particular is very "naff", giving a very false impression of her as seen in my spoiler -

Here's the F-15 image again

9R5Mpwg.jpg

This looks more like a modelling shot rather than a "real" (in the film) pilot that Larson is trying to portray. In fact here's a bunch of example of "real" Female F-15 pilots, some are also blonde and attractive, yet none look like they're on a modelling photoshoot when compared to the Brie Larson picture and this is why I think that F-15 pic is a poor choice to have been used - It doesn't look "right" and people can see that and it reduces the impact of her being a "real" pilot when she so very clearly isn't being portrayed as one in this image.

For clarity I spent 20 years in the RAF working directly with a wide range of male and female pilots, so I have plenty of what looks "right".

pilot01.jpg

pilot02.jpg

pilot03.jpg

pilot04.jpg

pilot05.jpg

pilot06.jpg

Back
Top Bottom