Captain Marvel (2019)

Caporegime
Typical trailer - Looks good but doesn't tell us much.

Intrigued that she seems to come to earth with powers.

Looks like they will reveal her old life in flashbacks, so not the traditional, done-to-death origin story.

Soldato
Guess it's a tough balance between showing too much and too little.
Either way, it's only the first trailer and in a few months people will probably be complaining about there being too many spoilers :p

Caporegime
Marvel have a habit of mixing up the time line in trailers just to mix it up a little. It's a good trailer, certainly rises from a slow start to amp up at the end. Looking forward to it and I had my doubts about Miss Larson but they've been cleared after seeing the trailer.

Soldato
It's a pretty good trailer that doesn't give too much away, but it does have an exciting impact. I still think Bree Larson is bland, and her little girl voice doesn't seem to match with the character. I like that we seem to be starting with her crashing to earth, then I guess we'll see her become Captain Carol Danvers, and then a second life after an alien abduction when her mind is wiped and she's out in space and part of an alien team, then again when she comes back to earth, learns who she is and becomes Captain Marvel fighting off the Skrull invasion.

Captain Marvel has to have a big setup and origin if she's going to lead the next phase of the MCU. Much in the same way that Iron Man was a big flag placed for the character in the lead-in to the Avengers, Captain Marvel has to be a big starting point for the character to lead into Infinity War part 2, and then the rest of the MCU.

Soldato
Lack of a done to death origin story looks to be a good thing; just hinted at with flash backs, like what was done in Man of Steel.

Didn't take long for some fool (not on this forum I might add) to come out with a comment about how Marvel are making a cute woman stronger than their male heroes. It's as if such people think these characters and Captain Marvel in particular was invented just for this film.

Soldato
looks pretty good, marvel are on top form at the moment so it certainly won't be terrible.
i'm only familiar with the original captain marvel so will be going into this one blind.

Soldato
Lack of a done to death origin story looks to be a good thing; just hinted at with flash backs, like what was done in Man of Steel.

Didn't take long for some fool (not on this forum I might add) to come out with a comment about how Marvel are making a cute woman stronger than their male heroes. It's as if such people think these characters and Captain Marvel in particular was invented just for this film.

In her original version, she was actually more cutesy and petite (the more revealing black/gold lightning costume), on the basis that her powers are what made her strong, not going to the gym. Later versions of her made her more bigger and muscular, almost like an Amazonian/Wonder Woman style build. They wanted to move her away from being too pretty and sexualised in design, to being more soldier-like. It looks like they've compromised the design in the movie in that she's quite small, but she's going to be dressed like a soldier without any kind of fanboy service to her earlier, more girly design.

They are certainly amping up the character's power level in the MCU, but in this day and age, it's not surprising that a female character named Captain Marvel is a great choice to be the figurehead of the MCU for the next several years, as long as the audience take to her. Marvel don't make duds and people go to see the films no matter what, so there's not reason to think it won't be successful.

Last edited:
Soldato

My take from the trailer is that we will see her origin story explained as top female pilot, gets into space on top secret government program that goes wrong and throws her into another dimension (the dimension we all know as the Marvel movie universe) and also into Kree space where they (Kree) experiment on her splicing Marvells DNA with hers to create captain marvel, somehow she ends up returning to Earth with her memories of her life on the other Earth, she gets time or dimension shifting powers which leads her into the saviour for Infinity war part 2.

Soldato
I can't help but think that Thanos will be behind her creation in the film, it will go full circle & she will play a big part in his downfall. Then the Living tribunal will turn up just before the end & say:

"Right Stop That, its silly! Started off as a nice little idea about a purple man collecting some stones, but now it’s just got SILLY!" :D :p ;)

Back
Top Bottom