Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
It looks like I'm probably the odd one out here but I was just a bit underwhelmed with that trailer. I know Brie can act her arse off from seeing her in "the room" but she just cam across so bland in this, although the granny punch did look fun TBF.

Soldato
I think it looks awesome and have no reason not to have complete faith in Marvel and the casting etc.

I don't think she's like any of the other superheroes from recent Marvel movies. I can't think of any you could compare her to character-wise.

Soldato
It looks like I'm probably the odd one out here but I was just a bit underwhelmed with that trailer. I know Brie can act her arse off from seeing her in "the room" but she just cam across so bland in this, although the granny punch did look fun TBF.

This is actually the consensus across the web, a big fat meh. It's doesn't look bad by any means, just that after all the build up of the character in the press in the last couple of years and after credit scene in IW. I expected the trailer to make a bigger deal out of Captain Marvel, this just looks like an average MCU movie on par with the first Iron Man or Thor.

Of course i'll go see the movie still

Soldato
This is actually the consensus across the web, a big fat meh. It's doesn't look bad by any means, just that after all the build up of the character in the press in the last couple of years and after credit scene in IW. I expected the trailer to make a bigger deal out of Captain Marvel, this just looks like an average MCU movie on par with the first Iron Man or Thor.

Of course i'll go see the movie still

Yeah as much as I don't want to see too much of the film before my bum is in the seat, I was expecting something a bit less low key considering she's supposed to be the most powerful of all the MCU heroes.

Caporegime
It's (yet another) Superhero movie, at this point i doubt there's much new or exciting they can do with them.

Yet they have, and they do. It's what has impressed about the best of the Marvel movies. Superhero is an extremely broad genre; saying there's not much they can do is like saying there's not much new or exciting they can do with thrillers, or romances, or westerns, or whatever.

Its only the first trailer so im sure they are being a bit low key with it, they cant come out the gates guns blazing or we'll either figure out the story and just think "yeah shes badass, Thanos is toast etc".

Although to be fair i dont think she's going to save everyone in the next Avengers, im sure Stark will do that as its a bit of a swansong for most of the old characters. I think Captain Marvel will be the start of chapter 2 and the next ten years :)

Caporegime
Rumours that Guy Ritchie will be directing 'Captain Britain and the Black Knight' with casting and auditions apparently in November and December.

Soldato
....................and now the awaited "the fans are sexist, misogynist etc etc" because someone photoshopped (very well) Brie Larson smiling in various stills from the video over her "blank look" in almost every shot. The smiles were added as a complaint over lack of any emotion being show during the trailer where Brie looked either bored or miserable according to it's creator. In return Brie Larson added an instagram post of photoshopped Marvel posters with smiles added to Male actors faces.

https://screenrant.com/captain-marvel-smile-brie-larson-response-photoshops/ - Both sets of images in this link

As mentioned above, I loved her acting in "The Room" so I KNOW see can emote which is why I'm really struggling to understand why either her or the studio have made the decision to keep her from showing emotion in any footage we've seen so far. Initially I thought she may start off as un-emotional due to all the Kree DNA mixing and brain wiping etc removing her humanity but then she slowly regains it as she spends more time on Earth and her memories come back allowing her to start showing emotion later on, like the scene in the car with Fury where she actually emotes, but then there's shots during her Air Force Training before her Kree time where her face shows the same "blank" look so I'm probably wrong.

As to the Photoshopping - people are allowed to complain but having the "Star" of your film reply to this and inflaming the situation, rather than just ignoring it, is leading to full on Luscasfilm territory and I'd hoped that Marvel were better than that.

Caporegime
Conversely, I don't remember anyone complaining that no actors were smiling in the infinity war trailer

Or any other marvel trailer.

And telling women to smile is so condescending.

Soldato
My guess would be that, in all those others trailers the actors showed more than one facial expression through-out their trailer, where as the complaint regarding Cpt Marvel is that she hasn't, hence the PS to highlight that. Although only PS'ing smiles was stupid IHMO as, if you wanted to really make the point, you'd PS a range of emotions to highlight the lack of any emotion that Larson shows.

Back
Top Bottom