1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Captain Marvel (2019)

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Malevolence, Sep 5, 2018.

1. doodah

Capodecina

Aeon Flux!

2. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Because they dont fit the role at all?

Hardly surprising you're SJW'in your way across this thread.

3. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

What has "SJW'in" got to do with any of this?

4. MissChief

Capodecina

So Marvel have got the casting for just about every character absolutely spot on so far. I'm willing to give her a chance and actually decide after I've seen the film. A strange notion for some others to consider I know.

5. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Literally nothing, Lord-Jaffa and a few other people here like to throw that world around like confetti.

Apparently it's "SJW'in" to say that I think people should wait for the finished film, rather than a 90 second first trailer, before judging how well the actor/actress did with a role.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  6. Steampunk

Soldato

Robert DeNero's been bad in a lot of stuff, so being a great actor in some films is no guarantee of quality in every film.

We're judging the trailer. You can hardly judge the full film if it's not been released. If you want to wait for the full film, or Infinity War 2, or the next ten years of MCU Captain Marvel films, you can come back to the thread when you take your own advice and are "allowed" to talk about it.

It seems to me that if it wasn't for the lead being a woman, we wouldn't be seeing all this white knighting instead of actually addressing why Larson seems to bland and disinterested in what promotional material we've been given so far. Every other actor in the trailer at least emotes something. Larson emotes nothing except boredom.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. Grimley

Soldato

Couple of reasons I can think of:

Money - The Oscar win sometimes means taking the opportunity to 'cash in' & earning a few bob off the back of said win. (Doesn't always happen though, I think it depends on the agent said actor/actress is under contract to)

Most Hollywood actors/actresses play at some point in their careers 'a defining role' for which they will always be remembered even if they win an Oscar for a lesser role or they do win.
    Examples
    Schwarzenegger = Terminator
    H Ford = Solo/Jones/Deckard
    Stallone = Rambo/Rocky
    Downey = Iron man

Even though Natalie Portman won an Oscar over 10 after first starring in Star Wars, she will be remembered for the latter rather than the former. Julia Roberts = same for Pretty Woman. As stated earlier defining role & Oscar win sometimes happens. Silence of the Lambs prime example. Forrest Gump another.

My point is Larson will be remembered years later for this role rather than the Oscar win to Joe public.

8. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I was being sarcastic. Of course you would want to book a great actress.

9. Steampunk

Soldato

You mean a great actress who fits the part and is good in the role. There are lots of great actresses that would be awful as Captain Marvel.

10. aardvark

Sgarrista

i agree - marvel have expertly cast everyone so far in their movies - i'm going to guess they know what they are doing.

11. V_R

Sgarrista

So a trailer tonight by all accounts. Followed by the A4 trailer mid week, if 'they' are to be believed.

[​IMG]

12. Spit

Soldato

[​IMG]

13. VincentHanna

Capodecina

That's a great poster.

14. Minusorange

Mobster

I don't think anybody really wants to remember the prequels so I'm sure people remember her for better roles

15. Kainz

Capodecina

Trailer has landed. Love the cat scene. Something bugging me about Brie's voice though - it carries zero authority and seems quite plain, even in this trailer.

16. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Totally agree, voice sounds so off and wooden. Oh well at least Avengers 4 Trailer soon!

17. molinari

Soldato

The trailer looks great, really looking forward to this.

18. V_R

Sgarrista

Same here!

19. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

Thought it was pretty good too. Not giving too much away, which I like... As for Brie's voice, I didn't really notice anything worse/different than the leads of most other movies of this ilk. Anyway, it might be symptomatic of her character being unsure of herself, where she's from etc. Time will tell.

20. asteldian

PayDay Lover

I shall always remember her fondly from 'Your Highness' :D