Car theft - is it out of control?

Soldato
Ultimately depends how much the thieves want the car.

Some may find the added effort not worth it. Some may.

Personally I’d have one on a high value car.

What will a Ghost type immobiliser actually achieve though, in reality?

To me it's a product that adds hassle to using your car and offers the illusion of security more so than actual security.

It might stop some low level opportunism but is that type of theft really that prevalent? These people are turning up equipped with technology, they're not idly walking past and thinking "ooh, might steal that", like finding an unlocked Nova in the 90s that you could start by turning the hazard switch upside down.

When you've got a gang of thieves turn up who are set on taking your car, they're very unlikely to get as far as entry to the car, find it won't start and then think "oh well lads, we've been well and truly outfoxed here, lets move on" - they're coming inside and they'll be 'gently encouraging' you to tell them how to make the car start. Particularly so on a high value car i'd say because it's worth so much more to them, the stakes are higher.

It's a replaceable lump of metal, why increase the chance someone will choose to put you and your family in danger to steal it when it's insured and can be replaced anyway?

Soldato
Professionals? They are criminals.

Get a grip... just because there are a few people doing bat **** crazy things doesn't mean I won't secure my property. Grow some balls.

Obviously a car isn't worth your life, but to suggest you should take measures to secure your property is bonkers.

Because there's no grey area between "not wanting to get stabbed/beaten to death over a car" vs "leaving the car unlocked with the key on the driver's seat"?

By all means take measures to secure your property, the less appealing you make it, the more likely they are to move on to an easier target, but ultimately - if they really want your car - they're going to take it (unless you've got the budget for 24/7 armed guards patrolling your property). Personal preference would be that they do so causing as little damage to me and my family as possible, but each to their own I guess.

"CCTV to massive high gated/fenced houses in the nicest of areas" <<-- I am gonna suggest this to you... the fact they have 'massive high gated fenced houses, probably means they weren't in 'the nicest areas'.

When's the last time you saw a "massive high gated fenced house" in the middle of a council estate? :cry: It's the "nice" areas in the leafy suburbs that the criminals go to steal from, because that's where the stuff worth stealing is.

Man of Honour
Haha yes, I'll do all I can to secure my possessions and not be negligent, but if the thieves really want the car...they will get it.

I'd rather be alive and well than dead or injured. Material possessions can be replaced.

Soldato
I've disabled the OBD2 Port on my car & overnight it has a disklock on it to put off the opportunist.

Most of the ones round here seem to leg it when disturbed.

I would hope a couple of minutes have passed whilst the ourdoor alarm is screaming away before they figure out that the OBD aint gonna be a method of starting.

If they are determined enough to then kick both front doors in the keys are clearly hung up next to the door.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fortunately near us most car thefts have been just the wheels or remotely via an unprotected key (shocking how many don’t put them in a pouch). Not aware of any break ins for keys at least.

Associate
From my perspective over the last 20 years it feels like the risk has shifted from the basic cheap cars which can easily be stolen using basic tools to the more high end stuff. In the early 2000's my mums Rover Metro was stolen, likely by kids as it had minimal security. Our other cars which had alarms and immobilisers etc were never touched.

Nowadays it feels like everything is fair game to anyone with access to the devices to bypass modern security. More likely to be career criminals/gangs rather than teenagers looking to joyride. They may as well target the high end stuff if it's just as easy as your run of the mill hatchback. Unfortunately it seems the only way to be safe is to have a car which is less desirable than those parked nearby.

Soldato
What will a Ghost type immobiliser actually achieve though, in reality?

To me it's a product that adds hassle to using your car and offers the illusion of security more so than actual security.

It might stop some low level opportunism but is that type of theft really that prevalent? These people are turning up equipped with technology, they're not idly walking past and thinking "ooh, might steal that", like finding an unlocked Nova in the 90s that you could start by turning the hazard switch upside down.

When you've got a gang of thieves turn up who are set on taking your car, they're very unlikely to get as far as entry to the car, find it won't start and then think "oh well lads, we've been well and truly outfoxed here, lets move on" - they're coming inside and they'll be 'gently encouraging' you to tell them how to make the car start. Particularly so on a high value car i'd say because it's worth so much more to them, the stakes are higher.

It's a replaceable lump of metal, why increase the chance someone will choose to put you and your family in danger to steal it when it's insured and can be replaced anyway?

I’ve seen a few videos where thieves give up once they realise it’s not a quick escape.

The idea is to be discreet - if you try to start a car at silly AM, only to realise you then need to get into the house and try to get the code, then it adds sufficient complexity that it may no longer be worth it.

Thieves want easy money. The added complexity drastically increases chances of being caught.

Imagine calling 999 and saying “my car was stolen”

“Okay sir I’ll keep an eye out for it”

Vs

“My car was stolen, they broke into my house and held a knife to my throat”

Much more likely to get a police response. This is what thieves are trying to avoid.

Just think - if thieves couldn’t just get into a car via key replication/bypass, why don’t they just break into every house with a Range Rover?

It’s because they don’t want the complexity and added risk of something going wrong.

Back
Top Bottom