*** Car Wash / Valet / Detailing Thread ***

Soldato
Yep the Countryman does especially - not sure what was used on it by the dealer, but it's got a lot of horrible "banding" for want of a better word.

Thanks - I'll certainly check out the Gtechniq, as I looked into AG's but was put off as I think theirs is an aerosol which I heard was bad for plastic.
The G4 stuff is semi permanent. Should last 12 months. Some good prep, good scrub and then alcohol wipe. Then apply as instructed.

Soldato
Yep the Countryman does especially - not sure what was used on it by the dealer, but it's got a lot of horrible "banding" for want of a better word.
Funny enough I looked at a car with this banding just today, I remember having a long look as I passed and wondering if it was to do with how the plastic was moulded or something. You don't think it's inherent to the plastic?

Soldato

Thanks - I'll certainly check out the Gtechniq, as I looked into AG's but was put off as I think theirs is an aerosol which I heard was bad for plastic.

Likely an acid-based cleaner in a sprayer

Soldato
Hey all, I'm after some advice. I think the answer is that I need to give the car a good clay bar treatment (not done this myself before)

Recently bought an s2000. After a wash, I noticed the surface of the paint isn't very smooth. Just feels a bit.. dusty? Hard to explain. Just a slight roughness to it.

I did notice this seems to just apply to the top surface of the car, the sides feel smooth enough. So Im assuming it's just contamination/debris settling on the top over time.

Any tips on what I should do and what product to use?

If it is a clay bar, are they a one and done thing or can they be reused?

Thanks!

Underboss
OP
Hey all, I'm after some advice. I think the answer is that I need to give the car a good clay bar treatment (not done this myself before)

Recently bought an s2000. After a wash, I noticed the surface of the paint isn't very smooth. Just feels a bit.. dusty? Hard to explain. Just a slight roughness to it.

I did notice this seems to just apply to the top surface of the car, the sides feel smooth enough. So Im assuming it's just contamination/debris settling on the top over time.

Thanks!

after a wash

use over and over and over , saves you buying clay that gets thrown away

or , what i use is a clay blok from chemical guys with their clay lube
you've probably got stuff you can use as clay lube, do not use water its not slick

you can also do iron remover at the same time

Soldato
after a wash

use over and over and over , saves you buying clay that gets thrown away

or , what i use is a clay blok from chemical guys with their clay lube
you've probably got stuff you can use as clay lube, do not use water its not slick

you can also do iron remover at the same time

I didn't realise you could get it in towel form, useful!

I do have the Autoglym Magma stuff but never actually used it, I thought it was for the wheels for some reason

Soldato
I didn't realise you could get it in towel form, useful!

I do have the Autoglym Magma stuff but never actually used it, I thought it was for the wheels for some reason

Magma helps separate iron contaminants - it can be used on wheels or paintwork.

Do a normal clean, then spray generously over paint while it’s still wet. Wait 2 ish mins for the colour to change and then go over the paint with your wash mitt.

The last stage in important - iron contaminants bond pretty well to the paint so you’ll need some mechanical action to remove it fully :)

Soldato
Magma helps separate iron contaminants - it can be used on wheels or paintwork.

Do a normal clean, then spray generously over paint while it’s still wet. Wait 2 ish mins for the colour to change and then go over the paint with your wash mitt.

The last stage in important - iron contaminants bond pretty well to the paint so you’ll need some mechanical action to remove it fully :)

Thanks!

Decided to try it out tonight, did the usual wash however I did this before seeing your message and washed and dried first.

Left it for a few mins then agitated it with a wet wash MIT and rinsed, then dried again.

Did well for the wheels :)

I don't think it really made a difference for my original issue but I'm hopeful that a claying will do it! Maybe it's tree sap or something, not sure!

Soldato
Thanks!

Decided to try it out tonight, did the usual wash however I did this before seeing your message and washed and dried first.

Left it for a few mins then agitated it with a wet wash MIT and rinsed, then dried again.

Did well for the wheels :)

I don't think it really made a difference for my original issue but I'm hopeful that a claying will do it! Maybe it's tree sap or something, not sure!

If the paint is rough, it could be general contaminants.

If you clay, you’re almost certainly going to need to polish it after - you’ll get marring (micro scratches) on the paint from clay.

Recently watched a video from my local detailer (fresh layers) and they use baby shampoo with water as a lubricant, rather than purchasing a “clay bar lubricant”.

I’ve been using dish soap but did find baby shampoo more slick and it’s considerably more mild.

Associate

Thanks!
Funny I just ordered some clay and lubricant as the paint on the ol Jaaaaag is rough. Never done this before but can't wait to feel the difference.

Soldato
Funny I just ordered some clay and lubricant as the paint on the ol Jaaaaag is rough. Never done this before but can't wait to feel the difference.

Excellent!

I've ended up going for a Mitt and spray, but do feel a proper old school bar may have been better for the first time as it could be quite heavy contamination. We shall see! Annoyingly only washed last night so when it arrives I'll have to give it a quick once over again before claying

I really hope this solves it!

Read horror stories that you can scratch the paint when claying by dragging all the contaminants around so will go careful.

So is this the process..

-Normal wash/dry
-Clay fun, spray, clay, spray clay.

-dry as you go? Or rinse car at the end, then dry?

-then finish off with something like the ceramic spray stuff or a wax of some sort?

Soldato
Hey All

I popped to my local Halfords to grab a G3 Clay Mitt, my 530D is super dusty so going to give her a nice clean, guy there said I should jet wash then snow foam? I remember seeing people snow foam on dry cars to pull all the dirt off? Or am I dreaming this!?

Thanks Mart

Back
Top Bottom